• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Grail posted by hammershipdown

17 posts in this topic

What's your Holy Grail?

So, as a newbie out here in comic collecting, I was kind of curious to find out what the "Holy Grail" is for many of you? I know we all have them, and I'm sure once (if ever) you find it and add it to your collection, there is probably a new "Holy Grail" waiting to take it's place.

But, with that in mind, I was curious to hear any stories about "finding your Holy Grail..." If you have one and wouldn't mind shairng it, I would love to hear it! ...and if you haven't found it yet, I'm curous what your Holy grail is and why?

Thanks!

See more journals by hammershipdown

Holy Grail. I wrote about this before and even though I have it I still consider it my Holy Grail. It happens to be a copy of New Mutants #15 in a 9.8. I would love to either find a signed copy or a better grade but as far as I am concerned the comic book that started it all for me is that one.

Of course what would be a great to join that book would be a high grad Daredevil #7 and a High grade Daredevil #1.

Mysterio.... I never wanted an Amazing Fantasy #15 until I had one in my hands two years ago. I was at a Wizard World and someone was picking it up as I was picking up my books.....only a 1.8 but one day I will own one.

my singular holy grail would be a Dectective Comics #27 in any grade as long as it was complete. As a Batman fan, it gets no better than that book right there.

however my ultimate holy grail would be to own every Batman book and appearance ever! that's gonna take a LOT of time and MONEY, but its a holy grail to keep chasing towards.

When i was younger my holy grail was definately Amazing Spider-man #300. My dad and i were at a local mall when i was about 12 and they happened to be having a small collectible show and as i walked up to a booth i saw it there, hanging behind some sweat stained nerd with a whopping price tag of $30 bucks. (that was alot of money for me at the time since we were always poor when i was growing up.) I asked my dad to buy it for me and he said no, that i would have to earn the money over the weekend and come back when i get the $30 bucks. So we went on with our shopping in the mall(i was mostly in the book store by myself) and we eventually left(myself broken hearted cuz i finally got to see ASM 300 in person and wasnt walking away with it). When i got to the truck i was overwhelmed to see it sitting on the seat waiting for me. My dad had snuck back over, bought it, and put it in the truck while i was in the bookstore. I still have the exact same copy today, though it is now graded. That copy will never be sold, it will always remain in my possesion.

110_0934.jpg

My holy grail today is a long list consisting of books that i will only own in my dreams(Detective 27, Action 1, Showcase 7 & 22, etc...). But im always keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes open at yard sales.:wishluck:

Excelsior1986 Great story for a great book. Plus the fact that it is a 9.2 after being read over and over(at least I am sure that you have), and in much better condition than my holy grail.

Thanks for enjoying it. I surprisingly only read it 3 times while it's been in my possession. Those were the only times that book has been out of some kind of protector. It was probably the first book I really took care of like I do with my books nowadays. Maybe I thought it would be my retirement one day so I took extra care of it. lol. It may never be worth a million bucks like I thought it would but that book couldnt be bought for a million. And itll definitely be passed down to my kid/ kids if I ever have any.

When i was younger my holy grail was definately Amazing Spider-man #300. My dad and i were at a local mall when i was about 12 and they happened to be having a small collectible show and as i walked up to a booth i saw it there, hanging behind some sweat stained nerd with a whopping price tag of $30 bucks. (that was alot of money for me at the time since we were always poor when i was growing up.) I asked my dad to buy it for me and he said no, that i would have to earn the money over the weekend and come back when i get the $30 bucks. So we went on with our shopping in the mall(i was mostly in the book store by myself) and we eventually left(myself broken hearted cuz i finally got to see ASM 300 in person and wasnt walking away with it). When i got to the truck i was overwhelmed to see it sitting on the seat waiting for me. My dad had snuck back over, bought it, and put it in the truck while i was in the bookstore. I still have the exact same copy today, though it is now graded. That copy will never be sold, it will always remain in my possesion.

110_0934.jpg

My holy grail today is a long list consisting of books that i will only own in my dreams(Detective 27, Action 1, Showcase 7 & 22, etc...). But im always keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes open at yard sales.:wishluck:

Cool story. My grail is a CGC 7.0+ copy of Showcase 22.

Mine would be X-Men #1, pretty much in any condition.

I need about 20 issues left from 94-544, then I can start knocking out the remaining 87 issues from 1-93. #1 will probably be the last to be acquired. Ultimately I'm looking for a complete run of 1-544 as my end goal.

Having #94 is a big win for me especially since I only paid $100 for it, and it has undocumented sigs of claremont and mcleod.

xmen94front.jpg

xmen94cgc.jpg

signed94.jpg

I finally have my Journey into Mystery #83 that I always wanted as a kid age 9. I stopped collecting as a teenager because of other interests (girls and partying) but when my son was about 4 (1992) I started back again hoping he would like the hobby as well. He did for a while and still has a little interest, he's 23 now and other things have his attention (girls and his band). Anyway I bought a CGC 5.0 with white pages this year and now I can go for something else like a F.F. #1.