• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor Fans

23 posts in this topic

My inspiration for this comes from reading a thread a few weeks back where people indicated their favorite and least favorite characters. I was shocked to see so many people name Thor as one of their least favorite. I was just flipping through some old Thor's I have and especially issues 381 and 382 where Thor dons the Destroyer shell and travels to the gates of Hell. With the wonderfull art from Sal B, inking, great story lines I just think this is some of the best stuff Marvel put out in that timeframe. For those who do not care for Thor I suggest you pick these issues up and I guarantee that you will be hooked.

As a kid,Thor was my favorite hero. I own complete runs of his cartoon,both on video and dvd. Have an almost complete run of Jim 83 to 250 and Thor 337 to the end of the first run.While I still love the character,most of his solo book is rather boring,esp the post-Kirby ones. While I did enjoy the Simonson run and thought the arcs leading to 400 were interesting,I can't and wouldn't recommend the series to a newbie.

My inspiration for this comes from reading a thread a few weeks back where people indicated their favorite and least favorite characters. I was shocked to see so many people name Thor as one of their least favorite. I was just flipping through some old Thor's I have and especially issues 381 and 382 where Thor dons the Destroyer shell and travels to the gates of Hell. With the wonderfull art from Sal B, inking, great story lines I just think this is some of the best stuff Marvel put out in that timeframe. For those who do not care for Thor I suggest you pick these issues up and I guarantee that you will be hooked.

Forget the 1980's, those issues are amongst the greatest written in any period. Walt Simonson's Thor run was incredible ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

While I did enjoy the Simonson run and thought the arcs leading to 400 were interesting,I can't and wouldn't recommend the series to a newbie.

After #400 the title's quality slid badly. Though Ellis' short run at the end (World Engine storyline) was very good with great Deodato art.

Jim

Agreed. I also loved the issues Surfer is talking about where Thor goes to Hell inside the Destroyer armour and literally tears the place apart. Until Hela believes him that his spirit is not in control of the Destroyer, and she removes the enchantment she has placed on him.

Awesome, awesome read..... cloud9.gif

You should pick up the last year of Thor - great story line with him the Lord of Asgard and taking over the Earth. The last three issues have been great - Thor and the rest of the Gods look like they are going to bite it.

Tom

The Destroyer has always been one of my favorite characters, regardless of whose spirit is driving it. Current storyline has me hooked too. I enjoyed the Simonson Thors but I also dug the later issues with Seth the Serpent God and the whole interaction with the Egyptian Pantheon. Thor is one of my favorite characters to read about; BUT aside from early JIMs, there is not much actoin ($$$) in selling/flipping these books, even reader copies.

The Destroyer has always been one of my favorite characters, regardless of whose spirit is driving it. Current storyline has me hooked too. I enjoyed the Simonson Thors but I also dug the later issues with Seth the Serpent God and the whole interaction with the Egyptian Pantheon. Thor is one of my favorite characters to read about; BUT aside from early JIMs, there is not much actoin ($$$) in selling/flipping these books, even reader copies.

Damn flipper.... 893censored-thumb.gif

Agreed. I also loved the issues Surfer is talking about where Thor goes to Hell inside the Destroyer armour and literally tears the place apart. Until Hela believes him that his spirit is not in control of the Destroyer, and she removes the enchantment she has placed on him.

which issues were those? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thats why I think for the money you get some of the best stories out there. I hate when there are creative gaps such as the early 200's, 300's and even the early 400's. I'm still trying to find high grade JIM's #118 & 119 for the throphy case but I think it will be easier to win the lottery.

IMO,

The best Thor story EVER has to be Thor Annual #8 (1979). Even the cover is awesome. Slugfest issue..."Thor versus Zeus." 893whatthe.gif Now that was a story!

Timely~West

which issues were those? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

#380 - #382. The main action takes place in Issue #382 the 300th Anniversary Issue. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Some questions regarding Jurgens' recent Thor run:

1.) How does Mangog (who has the power of a million, million beings) become Thanos' pet beeyatch, with no explanation at all in #20 - #25 ? confused-smiley-013.gif

2.) When the Destroyer was inhabited by the cowardly army officer's spirit, against the Dark Gods in #12, why does the Destroyer become as cowardly as the officer ? Only the will of Odin, Thor and Maestro Hulk have ever been strong enough to overcome the Destroyer's natural programming ? confused-smiley-013.gif

3.) How is Gladiator able to drop kick Mjolnir (Thor's hammer) across Manhatten ?

I could just go on, and on, and on..... 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Damn flipper.... 893censored-thumb.gif

flowerred.gif

Thor was ok and middle-of-the-pack during my time as a kid - did not keep up with him( or anyone else) after Silver Age.

CAL hi.gif