• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With CGG....When It Rains It Pours....

227 posts in this topic

Hi. It is a shame about the label switch. Several years ago, I sent CGC a Spider-man #1and a Fantastic Four #48. CGC returned the books with the labels mixed-up. CGC was responsive to my e-mails and they did correct the labels but they did not reimburse me for my shipping charges on the second resubmission nor offer me any discount. I was just happy to eventually

get the books returned with the correct labels. So far, I have been lucky with CGG. I submitted three books and they were returned with the grading that fell on the low side of my expectations. Nonetheless, they were on target with the grading and more importantly, the labels were correct.

hi.gif

gossip.gifI thought CGG wasn't allowed to post on here gossip.gif

Hi. It is a shame about the label switch. Several years ago, I sent CGC a Spider-man #1and a Fantastic Four #48. CGC returned the books with the labels mixed-up. CGC was responsive to my e-mails and they did correct the labels but they did not reimburse me for my shipping charges on the second resubmission nor offer me any discount. I was just happy to eventually

get the books returned with the correct labels. So far, I have been lucky with CGG. I submitted three books and they were returned with the grading that fell on the low side of my expectations. Nonetheless, they were on target with the grading and more importantly, the labels were correct.

Adios Shill-boy! 893censored-thumb.gif Off!

mad.gif

Greetings. I just joined up to the forum as I find the topics of discussion interesting. As I am new and trying to find my way around this site, I won't take too much offense at the welcoming comments to my posting. Best Regards..

I don't use CGG so I can't comment on their polocies of what happens to books they mislabel, but what exactly does CGC do when they make a mistake?

I have a book that is mislabeled, but have not turned it back in to them yet. (Avengers #52 with Avengers #53 information) I want to wait and return it to them when they are in San Diego so I don't have to pay postage. I think that CGC should pick up the postage on books that they made a mistake on. I realize that it isn't a lot of money, but it is the principal that counts.

Welcome

The only this that counts is the WIZARD FIRST CGC program. The new and only way to buy Graded CGC Modern Comics, because a 9.5 Wizard is far rarer then any CGC 9.8.

The Wizard First there were no 10.0 right that is with 99 books. Then Tell me who some of the big EBay sellers get all those 10.0 and 9.9. Prescreen you say How many books are being prescreened? What do the do with all those that are not 9.8 or higher? I have yet to see anyone of them being sold raw on e-bay. I think that the 10.0 and 9.9 are thanks you gifts from CGC for all the money they have spent over the years. Just like the coffee makers you get when you deposit 5000 in a bank. This does not matter to any of the CGC Kool Aid drinking followers. They Love to Slam CGG.

CGG has paid for a Spider-man to get reslabed by CGC because people here screamed that the book looks trimmed. The book graded higher and there was no trimming.

CGG gave out free grades to some of the anti-CGG poster to see what a CGG graded comic looks like.

Now the refunded fees for the three miss labeled books.

I think they have done way more then most.

The miss retro books all come from one dealer who they do not deal with anymore. But the will still bring this up.

The PVC thing people have posted website that say PVC will not harm. They still post anti PVC.

The first PVC post said the outer case was PVC and then quickly changed to the inner well. When I contacted the company that did the test they would not tell me what was tested.

sign-rantpost.gif

Then Tell me who some of the big EBay sellers get all those 10.0 and 9.9.

hi.gif

Prescreen you say How many books are being prescreened?

100 books in total for moderns. The 100 can be made up of any combination of 100 different moderns. I like to pick 10 of my best issues of the new books I come across and send them in. Or I carefully pick the best copies I have of several books enough for a prescreen.

What do the do with all those that are not 9.8 or higher? I have yet to see anyone of them being sold raw on e-bay.

The ones that don't make my prescreen cut off are returned to me after getting charged $3 for each book rejected. Some are still sitting in my inventory or I make sets with them or sell them at shows or off-ebay or sell them to Mile High or fill other dealers want lists, etc.. Ebay is not the only place to sell foreheadslap.gif

I think that the 10.0 and 9.9 are thanks you gifts from CGC for all the money they have spent over the years.

Blasphemy! Could it be that we just know how to pick perfect books out of the case or from dealer stock? confused-smiley-013.gif Hater... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Just like the coffee makers you get when you deposit 5000 in a bank. This does not matter to any of the CGC Kool Aid drinking followers. They Love to Slam CGG.

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

Are you drunk....? confused.gif

He's just a insufficiently_thoughtful_person of epic proportions. boo.gif

Read this again....

The Wizard First there were no 10.0 right that is with 99 books. Then Tell me who some of the big EBay sellers get all those 10.0 and 9.9. Prescreen you say How many books are being prescreened? What do the do with all those that are not 9.8 or higher? I have yet to see anyone of them being sold raw on e-bay. I think that the 10.0 and 9.9 are thanks you gifts from CGC for all the money they have spent over the years.

It makes my head hurt.....3_8_2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prescreen you say How many books are being prescreened?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100 books in total for moderns. The 100 can be made up of any combination of 100 different moderns. I like to pick 10 of my best issues of the new books I come across and send them in. Or I carefully pick the best copies I have of several books enough for a prescreen.

But the Wizard books were touched by far less hands then the books that get shipped to you Darth from Diamond. They did not get a 10.0 out of 198 books between the two they sent in.

Quote:

What do the do with all those that are not 9.8 or higher? I have yet to see anyone of them being sold raw on e-bay.

The ones that don't make my prescreen cut off are returned to me after getting charged $3 for each book rejected. Some are still sitting in my inventory or I make sets with them or sell them at shows or off-ebay or sell them to Mile High or fill other dealers want lists, etc.. Ebay is not the only place to sell

Thanks for the Info Darth thumbsup2.gif

I am hung over for you info insane.gif

But the Wizard books were touched by far less hands then the books that get shipped to you Darth from Diamond. They did not get a 10.0 out of 198 books between the two they sent in.

I realize this, and I just have to guess that the person Wizard selected to do the prescreening is not very good at it, which makes it more confusing why Wizard would spend so much on an initiative and not follow thtough all the way with insuring the highest caliber of prescreener in place.

Maybe they were confident enough that there were tons of perfect books coming right off the presses that they assumed they could pick the first 100 books and skimp on the prescreener.

The miss retro books all come from one dealer who they do not deal with anymore. But the will still bring this up.

How do you know the Brave and the Bold book that was restored came from TDcomics?893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What credibility? That sink has been empty all along. 8,000 books graded? Total? You've gotta be kidding me. That's about $112,000 TOTAL revenues, before taxes, since the company started (assuming an average submission fee of $14).

And who is this restoration detection guy? How much is he getting paid? What about the typists, encapsulators, materials designer, cost of materials, money spent on testing to make sure the PVC was archival quality, and then the grading team? What are they working for, minimum wage? Do I want someone who would otherwise be working at McDonalds to be grading my books?

Glad you brought this up Fantasy. Personally I am surprised that 8,000 books is all that CGG has graded. I thought it would be MUCH higher. I don't know how long CGG has been in business but the first time I had them grade a book for me was in September of last year. Just for the sake of simplicity let's say they have been in business for ten months, bringing us back to July of last year. That would be ten months or 800 books a month. In ten months, if they did not work on weekends that would only mean they graded about 37 books a day. Even if we widen that range to 30 to 50 books a day, that is not very much and I don't see how anyone could run a business like that unless there were just a couple of employees, maybe three, but I am just assuming.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I wish these guys luck but they have a long and tough road to follow. Sure, they are a small tiny CGC copycat, but ya' can't blame a couple guys on a shoestring budget for wanting to get into this potentially lucrative business. When I was naive and only 24 I opened up a small comic store with a friend. We did not have a clue, barely any money and closed after a year. But we gave it a shot and had a little fun at it at first. I wish no ill will to Daniel and the guys and I give them credit for trying. But going up against CGC is a tough thing to do, especially when you are going at it with 90% the same business model.

If anything, I would not use this thread to bash Daniel and CGG as I am sure he is just a guy trying to make a living grading comics, nothing wrong with that. But better yet I believe the suggestions and constructive criticism to CGG would be better off spoken here than just negative bashing comments that really doesn't accomplish anything. Anyway, just another couple o' cents worth. confused-smiley-013.gif ----Sid