• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help trying to find Fantastic 3....anyone??

85 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie on this board, and I've been looking high and low for a few years now to try and find a copy of fantastic comics 3, the one with the Lou Fine robot cover. So far, no luck. Can anybody help out, or is this one of those books I'm just going to have to sit back and wait 10 years for? 27_laughing.gif

Thanks in advance

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie on this board, and I've been looking high and low for a few years now to try and find a copy of fantastic comics 3, the one with the Lou Fine robot cover. So far, no luck. Can anybody help out, or is this one of those books I'm just going to have to sit back and wait 10 years for? 27_laughing.gif

Thanks in advance

You can try contacting Steve at Metro since he was buying up all of the copies which was coming into the marketplace back in the mid 90's. As I remember, paying really ridiculous prices for them, even for low grade copies. As a result, expect to pay a pretty hefty price for them if he is willing to sell them to you.

Bumping this thread.

FANTASTIC #3 is a great book, but what makes it so much more special than other classic Fine covers like SCIENCE #2 and MYSTERY MEN #8? I suppose it's the rarity? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks in advance

You can try contacting Steve at Metro since he was buying up all of the copies which was coming into the marketplace back in the mid 90's. As I remember, paying really ridiculous prices for them, even for low grade copies. As a result, expect to pay a pretty hefty price for them if he is willing to sell them to you.

I heard this story about a week ago when I was talking to Ted from Superworld. He said someone was at an auction a while back that didn't like Fischler (didn't say why) and apparently got into heavy bidding with him until Fishler gave up. This was all because he didn't want Fischler to get it. I'm not sure who he said the guy was but he was a man of wealth (BSD). Which brings me to a question I didn't ask Ted, Why? Does Fischler have any special reason why he wants to corner the market on this book? Anyone have a cover scan?

. foxfantastic3.jpg

Looking at that cover again, I'm starting to remember why it's so highly sought after!

Why in the world would anyone want a Fantastic #3 when Lou fine didn't even finish drawing Samson's right leg???

West 893whatthe.gifshy.gifscrewy.gifinsane.gif

Thanks in advance

I heard this story about a week ago when I was talking to Ted from Superworld. He said someone was at an auction a while back that didn't like Fischler (didn't say why) and apparently got into heavy bidding with him until Fishler gave up. This was all because he didn't want Fischler to get it. I'm not sure who he said the guy was but he was a man of wealth (BSD). Which brings me to a question I didn't ask Ted, Why? Does Fischler have any special reason why he wants to corner the market on this book? Anyone have a cover scan?

There are six copies sitting in a glass display case at Metropolis (it's on your left as you pass the front desk, tucked behind some old Superman toys that are likely ridiculously valuable for no obvious reason). I'm not sure whether there are more, or whether unleashing them in the future is likely to affect the price. Judging from how the value of Suspense 3 weathered the same treatment I'd suspect not at all. But personally, I was more impressed by the original covers of 'Tec 28 and 30, hanging unbotrusively above the desk all the way at the back of the showroom.

You are SOOOOO Lucky,my friend!!! hail.gif BTW was the dealer in question ,Terry's Comics?? Dave,of Terry's comics told me a story that sounds like this one,years ago. Small world after all!!! Again, Congrats!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif do you still own it?

Don't kill me, but I like Wonderworld 7 and Mystery Men 3 much more that Fantastic 3.

I definitely think that those(along with SCIENCE #2 and MYSTERY MEN #8) are at least equal to FANTASTIC #3.

Am I right in getting from all this that the difficulty in questing for a fantastic #3 has more to do with Steve Fishler hoarding this book than any other factor? Meaning, it's Fishler's favorite comic or something so he buys them all and his zeal for the book just pushes the rest of the collecting community that much harder to find a copy?

I get that it's a classic cover and all, but if not for the mythos surrounding the Fishler hoard, would this book still command as high an asking price as it does?

I agree, Wonderworld # 7 is a KILLER,one of my faves. I own one myself ,how about Wonderworld # 8 also underated IMO!! I have a pretty sharp copy of that one also , I'll post it sometime. Mystery Men # 8 ,great Blue Beetle cover,own one also. Let's face it that Wonderworld run from # 3 to #11 is so nice,I need 3 more copies to complete my run & the art inside by Fine,brilliant! cloud9.gif The only cover that comes close for me to the Fantastic # 3 is Hit Comics # 5 IMO!! I have that also ,it's restored with minor C/T pieces added ,C/P but it's a Beauty,I'll post that also sometime.Science Comics # 2 & Mystery Men # 3,how could I forget them?? You know, come to think about it, you guy's may be right ,these books are just as Awesome as Fantastic Comics # 3!!! grin.gif

We could sit & talk about Lou Fine covers all day ,they are that good!! There will never be another like him in comics,IMHO!!!

Hey Steve, if your reading this , how about your input on this book ?? Love to hear it!!!