• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help trying to find Fantastic 3....anyone??

85 posts in this topic

"I would agree that while Fantastic #3 is a classic cover, it is one of many by Lou Fine, and doesn't surpass say Wonderworld #7 in my opinion. In addition to it's scarcity due to hoarding, it might also be more desirable because of the Robot theme."

Now to really get you guys going....The reason I first purchased a Church book was because I was heavily into Lou Fine. I eventually avoided the issue of which is the best Lou Fine cover 'cause I got the Church Wonderworlds including #7....The Church Hits with my favorite 7 and 8.....Church Fantastics with #3 and... ta-dah ....my favorite comicbook cover of all Mystery Men 3 with the Church Mystery Men....lost out on the Sciences....settled for the Larson for Science 2.....Rest assured guys..I could never do it today....Got these over 10 years ago....

For those who have an interest....I remind folks of the Gallery Ken Quattro has done of many of my fox books....He is hoping to finish it off shortly....and yup compadres....I finally finished getting the pre-War Fox books......Wonder Comics 1 to V Comics 2....

http://comicartville.com/foxcovers.htm

Again i pass on this info and share this stuff so that people know it is out there and can enjoy.....Jon

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie on this board, and I've been looking high and low for a few years now to try and find a copy of fantastic comics 3, the one with the Lou Fine robot cover. So far, no luck. Can anybody help out, or is this one of those books I'm just going to have to sit back and wait 10 years for? 27_laughing.gif

Thanks in advance

This is a personal favorite of Steve Fishler of Metropolis Comics....never can tell if he has one available....but it won't be inexpensive

....and just so the Board may be interested....I have the Church copy....and yup it is a beauty....jon

Jon, didn't you also have a copy that's nicer than the Mile High?

Since this seems to be my day for confession....no I do not have a nicer copy of the Fantastic 3....BUT you are right that I have the Larson Mystery Men 3 which is brighter than the Mile High...I just love that cover....Jon

Lots and lots of collectors like to own multiple copies of their favorite books. Nothing wrong with that. Of course, if his sole purpose is to hoard for the sake of cornering the market, that's not quite the same thing. Has he ever given his reasons?

Steve loves the cover and has had a marvelous 3-D diarama made of the cover....

I just wanted to chime in and say how much I am enjoying this thread. I had never heard of Lou Fine, but the covers to Hit 7 and Fantastic 3 completely blew me away. Since I am finishing school I can't afford GA yet, but you have ensured that many a future paycheck will be happily spent on some of these. Time to go look at my Photo-Journals.....

...and while you are window shopping, take a gander at Jumbo 9 and 10.....jon

I just wanted to chime in and say how much I am enjoying this thread. I had never heard of Lou Fine, but the covers to Hit 7 and Fantastic 3 completely blew me away. Since I am finishing school I can't afford GA yet, but you have ensured that many a future paycheck will be happily spent on some of these. Time to go look at my Photo-Journals.....

I bet you can if you put your mind to it.

I agree, Wonderworld # 7 is a KILLER,one of my faves. I own one myself ,how about Wonderworld # 8 also underated IMO!! I have a pretty sharp copy of that one also , I'll post it sometime. Mystery Men # 8 ,great Blue Beetle cover,own one also. Let's face it that Wonderworld run from # 3 to #11 is so nice,I need 3 more copies to complete my run & the art inside by Fine,brilliant! cloud9.gif The only cover that comes close for me to the Fantastic # 3 is Hit Comics # 5 IMO!! I have that also ,it's restored with minor C/T pieces added ,C/P but it's a Beauty,I'll post that also sometime.Science Comics # 2 & Mystery Men # 3,how could I forget them?? You know, come to think about it, you guy's may be right ,these books are just as Awesome as Fantastic Comics # 3!!! grin.gif

We could sit & talk about Lou Fine covers all day ,they are that good!! There will never be another like him in comics,IMHO!!!

Hey Steve, if your reading this , how about your input on this book ?? Love to hear it!!!

okay....want a little fun???? These are cover recreations Murphy Anderson did of Mystery Men 3, Wonderworld 7, Science 1 and Fantastic 3. Anderson adores Fine's work and, as recreations go, these are about as fine a recreation down to detail and color nuances as anything you will ever see (and they are huge)

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5028

Geez .....you guys are reminding me why I like like Lou Fine so much.....

So for my final trick for you Lou Fineaddicts....

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Order=Date&Piece=39725&GSub=5027&GCat=0&UCat=0

Jon

I bet you can if you put your mind to it.

Well, I gave it a try. Picked up a copy of Weird Science-Fantasy 29 on the 'Bay in G/VG for $50. Hope it turns out ok 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Since this seems to be my day for confession....no I do not have a nicer copy of the Fantastic 3....BUT you are right that I have the Larson Mystery Men 3 which is brighter than the Mile High...I just love that cover....Jon

So Jon, since you are confessing, go over to the "Rarest Golden Age Books" thread and let us know what you consider to be the 5 rarest Fox books.