• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help trying to find Fantastic 3....anyone??

85 posts in this topic

Don't kill me, but I like Wonderworld 7 and Mystery Men 3 much more that Fantastic 3.

I definitely think that those(along with SCIENCE #2 and MYSTERY MEN #8) are at least equal to FANTASTIC #3.

Doiby;

In full agreement with you that all 5 of these are absolutely gorgeous Fine covers. Another classic Fine cover that nobody has yet mentioned is National #7 which I consider to be one of his best covers.

By far, the best cover in the National run and probably undervalued in the guide in comparison to the other classic Fine covers.

Jon, you gotta post it!! Love to see it!!! hail.gif DROOL!! DROOL!! insane.gif

so how do i get it to post directly to the page instead of having to click the attachment....i feel like a luddite as usual......thanks to Greg for helping finally understand ..Church copy

684428-fantastic3-75.jpg

so how do i get it to post directly to the page instead of having to click the attachment....i feel like a luddite as usual......thanks to Greg for helping finally understand ..Church copy

684428-fantastic3-75.jpg

Astounding...

684428-fantastic3-75.jpg

I am literally green with envy......the Church copy of my grail. That's what these boards are all about.......

Whenever I read stories about the Carters scooping up copies of Church DC's, or the old couple wheeling the pile of San Francisco books into a crowded convention, I get such a rush about this wonderful hobby. Even though I'm not a high grade collector per se mostly due to economics, the idea of finding these amazing books in the same condition as they were on the newstand is just incredible.

Jon,

Your books are tremendous and I really appreciate it when collectors such as yourself take the time to share these gems with us. Excuse me if this question has been asked before but what's your position on getting these graded? Not interested ever, planning on it or only when it comes time to sell them?

Jon,

Your books are tremendous and I really appreciate it when collectors such as yourself take the time to share these gems with us. Excuse me if this question has been asked before but what's your position on getting these graded? Not interested ever, planning on it or only when it comes time to sell them?

I KNOW that obtaining the stamp of high grade from CGC is important for value, but other than restoration detection, it does not take a rocket scientist to grade a Church copy...Remember folks one of the best qualities of these books are their cover reflectivity....They are the only books I know that look better OUTSIDE a mylar than in it. I know it is the thing to do (slab it)...but on those occcasions I have sold or traded Mile Highs it was not necessarily a difficult process to do without slabbing. I do suppose that for the greater population of buyers slabbing has become part of the auction/retail lifeline.....

Here is the interesting rub....with CGC are GA Church books "merely" high grade golden age OR is there a "value premium" attached BECAUSE it is the Church copy...or is the value only because of the difficulty of getting "high grade" copy of a GA book? One will chase one's tail on that one........

For the record I have never had a book certified and when i purchased a slabbed book the first thing i do is break it out of the slab......Us dinosaurs have not yet adjusted to this "Plastic Age of Comics" .....Jon

Interesting analysis, Jon. thumbsup2.gif

I think that CGC'd Church copies that are also the highest graded copy (and that's generally the way it works) tend to get a "double-whammy" premium in the marketplace. That said, even if the Church copy is not the highest graded copy...but is close to the highest graded, it can go for as much or more as the highest graded copy sells for.

Jon,

I KNOW that obtaining the stamp of high grade from CGC is important for value, but other than restoration detection, it does not take a rocket scientist to grade a Church copy...Remember folks one of the best qualities of these books are their cover reflectivity....They are the only books I know that look better OUTSIDE a mylar than in it. I know it is the thing to do (slab it)...but on those occcasions I have sold or traded Mile Highs it was not necessarily a difficult process to do without slabbing. I do suppose that for the greater population of buyers slabbing has become part of the auction/retail lifeline.....

Here is the interesting rub....with CGC are GA Church books "merely" high grade golden age OR is there a "value premium" attached BECAUSE it is the Church copy...or is the value only because of the difficulty of getting "high grade" copy of a GA book? One will chase one's tail on that one........

For the record I have never had a book certified and when i purchased a slabbed book the first thing i do is break it out of the slab......Us dinosaurs have not yet adjusted to this "Plastic Age of Comics" .....Jon

I appreciate the straight forward answer. I guess when you decide that your going to go full board and start collecting these HG books you need to educate yourself on restoration, history, etc otherwise you better buy them pre-slabbed or your going to get taken to the cleaners. For the average collector (which I consider myself) with a modest budget CGC is really the only way to go but even then you need to look beyond the label. Jon this has been very informative and probably the best thread I have read in months. thumbsup2.gif

Interesting analysis, Jon. thumbsup2.gif

I think that CGC'd Church copies that are also the highest graded copy (and that's generally the way it works) tend to get a "double-whammy" premium in the marketplace. That said, even if the Church copy is not the highest graded copy...but is close to the highest graded, it can go for as much or more as the highest graded copy sells for.

....and in the for what is worth category....i think auctions are the last place to sell Church books....yes they will sell, but the "premium" seems to decrease....Of course, I suppose that is also a product of the intial value....easier to get 4x guide on a 500 NM book than 4x Guide on a 10k book....

Jon,

I appreciate the straight forward answer. I guess when you decide that your going to go full board and start collecting these HG books you need to educate yourself on restoration, history, etc otherwise you better buy them pre-slabbed or your going to get taken to the cleaners. For the average collector (which I consider myself) with a modest budget CGC is really the only way to go but even then you need to look beyond the label. Jon this has been very informative and probably the best thread I have read in months. thumbsup2.gif

don't get me wrong, i friend of mine sold some of his very high grade square backs and is certain that slabbing enhanced the prices bid....,,

and just to have restoration detection is worth the price of admissions.....too many horror stories....like i say with unslabbed books (or rather before there was slabbing at all) one would start a conversation, especially with GA, "Ah, this book hasn't been restored?!"...Point being rather than take the chance or appear "ignorant" one ASSUMED restoration in order to avoid "embarrasment".....jon

Hi Jon,

You are not the only one that removes slabbed books from the holder. I do the same unless I am buying for resale and I know a big Timely collector that does the same. I actually still take my Golden-age out of the mylar and flip through them. As a matter of fact, I think I may pull out some of the Batman's tonight and "geek out"!