• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Avengers 1 9.6 $250k Sale

64 posts in this topic

It is without a doubt an exceptional copy, its just the blown up picture exposes it's defects (slight defects) more than it would in hand, its got a few more spine "knicks" (not stresses) then I would expect on a 9.6, but it's very nice :cloud9:

That's a 9.6?!

Yep. It's really a no-doubter. I know you feel obligated to try and on it, but it is a pretty exceptional copy.

You don't own it anymore, so what are you so defensive about? I wouldn't say anything if you were showing it off as one of your books or were listing it in a sales thread, but you have no stake in the book anymore, so what do you care what I think about it?

I'm looking at the multiple color breaking creases on the spine and thinking the 9.4 GL 76 is getting a lot of grief for the same problems.

It is without a doubt an exceptional copy, its just the blown up picture exposes it's defects (slight defects) more than it would in hand, its got a few more spine "knicks" (not stresses) then I would expect on a 9.6, but it's very nice :cloud9:

It's not blown up. The image (at least on my screen) is less than real size.

That's a 9.6?!

Yep. It's really a no-doubter. I know you feel obligated to try and on it, but it is a pretty exceptional copy.

You don't own it anymore, so what are you so defensive about? I wouldn't say anything if you were showing it off as one of your books or were listing it in a sales thread, but you have no stake in the book anymore, so what do you care what I think about it?

I'm looking at the multiple color breaking creases on the spine and thinking the 9.4 GL 76 is getting a lot of grief for the same problems.

I don't know....looks like a solid 9.6 to me. I have personally slabbed multiple silver age 9.8s with more wear apparent than that Avengers has. The corners look razor sharp and I expect the tiny spine stresses don't stand out as much in hand as they do in the scan.

I probably shouldn't say anything but from the scan it does look like a soft 9.6.

I would bet though that in hand it looks like a solid 9.6. I think the very slight miswrap makes the spine SEEM like it is worse than it is in hand. Looking close, I don't see very many stresses at all but at a glance the tiny miswrap makes the spine look a little more worn than it actually is in hand I'd bet.

Either way, it's a 9.6 and WAAAAY outta my league! That's the nicest #1 I've seen other than MAYBE Schmells. Despite our differences, I'm definitely bummed to see cheetah sell off his Avengers run. End of an era for sure :sorry:

That's the nicest #1 I've seen other than MAYBE Schmells. Despite our differences, I'm definitely bummed to see cheetah sell off his Avengers run. End of an era for sure :sorry:

The Avengers (and other stuff) he posted in the top 5 selling regrets thread up in GA look incredible! I'm sure that was tough to part with, but you can't go wrong getting into more GA either. :headbang:

That's a 9.6?!

I don't know....looks like a solid 9.6 to me. I have personally slabbed multiple silver age 9.8s with more wear apparent than that Avengers has. The corners look razor sharp and I expect the tiny spine stresses don't stand out as much in hand as they do in the scan.

This.

That's a 9.6?!

This.

+1

Soft or strong 9.6 though, i dont care. Outta my league either way.

What i'm REALLY wondering is if my beloved Suscha News Ped #35 and 103 he beat me out for are going to be showing up somewhere soon or tucked away for good in someones elses collection now hm