• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN #101

14 posts in this topic

I posted an X-Men with printer creases a few weeks ago and it was unanimous that they do not effect the grade because they are manufacturer defects. I think this is a great looking copy and would give it an easy 9.0.

I totally hear you on the corners though Godquest and I agree with you but the spine is so nice I think it would make up for them and keep it around a 9.0 - I could be off again though.

Not sure about the ink spray though. Does it have a distributor stripe along the top pages?

I am looking forward to hearing what people think about the red/pink spray or bleed on the inside fc and bc. I am not familiar with that but it really seems like a manufacturer error to me. Just because I would think it would also be on the first and last pages if it were not...but I don't know.

I am looking forward to hearing what people think about the red/pink spray or bleed on the inside fc and bc. I am not familiar with that but it really seems like a manufacturer error to me. Just because I would think it would also be on the first and last pages if it were not...but I don't know.

It looks like when the cover was printed, they did not have enough drier in the ink or heatlamps at the proper temperature to prevent it from offsetting onto the next one, resulting in this effect (also called ghosting). I'll have to look at my 101 when I get home to see if it shows the same signs. I would speculate this is probably not the case, as by the time anyone caught it, the print run would be over with - but I could be wrong, too.

Another (more interesting) scenario is that you have a book that had the cover assembled to it which made it past the make-ready stage - and it had a higher density of ink coverage on it (resulting in more vibrant colors on the cover) and that could have offset onto the page of the next sheet. The pressman checking the density could have made the adjustment and continued the run, and yours could have sneaked through.

The most boring explanation is that they printed the sheets, stacked them too high on the pallet while they waited to be cut down, and the weight offset the ones on the bottom, resulting in only some being offset.

here is an example of a fairly extreme case. The back cover was worse but I don't have a scan of it. One of my old book that I slabbed and sold. Someone posted a detailed explanation of this production related flaw long ago and I can't find it but you noticed the common pinkish shade in all of the books with this problem.

030.jpg

I just looked at my copy through a loupe and it appears as your does. It's not bleed through or offsetting - it's actually the density of the magenta ink that is laid down and actually showing through the paper. This wouldn't/shouldn't be considered a "production flaw" - because it's not a flaw, it's just the printing showing through on a lightweight paper - which, when considering the Red Sonja above - appears to be the quality of paper Marvel used in that era.