• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Historian Les Daniels RIP

27 posts in this topic

His book "Comix" was one of my greatest Christmas presents 40 years ago. I devoured that book, treasured it and still have it dust jacket and all.

+1

When I was a kid I saw it in the bookstore and I guess my mom saw me peruse it and then set it down wistfully. There weren't really that many books about comics back then, and I could afford the paperback All In Color For A Dime and the Steranko History of Comics, but the hardback Comix was out of my price range.

I was surprised and delighted to get it for Christmas.

His book "Comix" was one of my greatest Christmas presents 40 years ago. I devoured that book, treasured it and still have it dust jacket and all.

+1

When I was a kid I saw it in the bookstore and I guess my mom saw me peruse it and then set it down wistfully. There weren't really that many books about comics back then, and I could afford the paperback All In Color For A Dime and the Steranko History of Comics, but the hardback Comix was out of my price range.

I was surprised and delighted to get it for Christmas.

That is a good point, trying to find books on comic books back then was really tough. The library had a good collection of strip reprints that were great but few books on comic books. My county library had a copy of Seduction of the Innocent that was great to read but didn't have any of the comic book reprint books just starting to appear. Finding Pfeiffer's book for sale was great and then the paperback AICFAD was also a great find. Not much beyond that though.

I contrast that to today where the local libraries are loaded with shelves of graphic novels and even Archives! I would have killed for that kind of access to that material as a kid.

Finding Pfeiffer's book for sale was great

I was going to mention that one too, pretty sure I read more than a few of those stories for the first time there. They must have sold a ton of those, I used to see copies of that kicking around garage sales and used bookstores constantly.