• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine 35???? Tough to find in high grade?
1 1

723 posts in this topic

I wonder if daken will be back? :wishluck:

Do you think he will return from his verbal spanking? (shrug)

Man, that would be awesome. He is this board's living embodiment of COME AT ME BRO.

You would have liked Muscleshark and Capfreek.

I was reading some of those classic threads. They are pretty hilarious. We need more Capfreeks and Dakens, IMHO.

Man, that would be awesome. He is this board's living embodiment of COME AT ME BRO.

I just deleted that Muscleshark Memory Badge I had created just recently too.

:ohnoez:

I do still have it.

Muscleshark_memorial.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

I do still have it.

Muscleshark_memorial.jpg

:applause:

I do still have it.

Muscleshark_memorial.jpg

:applause:

I alway liked this one the best, Made by Mr Dice

98856.gif

i honestly think this thread is hyping the eff out of the book. the book isn't supahot. it just has a production defect, which many of you think it's hard to find in high grade. it's not. think GI Joe 21. :facepalm:

If it's so easy, then find one.

i honestly think this thread is hyping the eff out of the book. the book isn't supahot. it just has a production defect, which many of you think it's hard to find in high grade. it's not. think GI Joe 21. :facepalm:

remember when dungeoness was looking and offering money for the longest time for a GI Joe 21 CGC 9.8? it's basically the same thing. it's not even worth my time to look for one.

remember when dungeoness was looking and offering money for the longest time for a GI Joe 21 CGC 9.8? it's basically the same thing. it's not even worth my time to look for one.

:blahblah:

it just has a production defect, which many of you think it's hard to find in high grade. it's not.

I don't think this book is possible in 9.8. There probably isn't a one. When the book was damaged in production, it had been printed, folded and assembled. From what I can tell, the damage happened when the book was being saddle stitched. (in bindery, as noted by several)

Most saddle stitching machines from that era operated pretty much the same. The folded book travels spine-up along a rail or guide, it's stapled and then moved along the rail to be dropped down onto a table or conveyor to be put in boxes. From where the damage is at, it looks like as it was running through the machine the tolerances for the thickness weren't set properly and each book got damaged on the way through. The machines are designed to be adjusted to the thickness of the book being fed through. Whether it's a 32 page book or a 64-page book, someone has to set the machine how thick the book is to run it through.

All it takes is an operator who didn't look carefully at the book when they set the machine up. He probably ran a couple dozen or so books to set it up, and then sat there at the front of the machine and loaded them, never looking to see how they came out. A bindery person is going to be careful that he doesn't damage the final product, but come on - everyone has a day that they just aren't paying attention.

Who knows? The folding machine could have saddle stiched the book at the same time, damaging the book, too. Big printers have lots of automated machines that are set up once, and then not looked at unless there's a jam.

I know that there's a lot of people who want to think that things like off-color holograms (left over make-readies), or altered color/out of register (overlooked by quality-control), or books with production flaws are "rare" - but the bottom line is that all those book are is testaments to human error, and there's nothing that special about it.