• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Countries To Avoid Shipping To (Chargeback Problems)

80 posts in this topic

My friend always tells me Nigeria, and Italy. He said Italy has a terrible postal service. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard the same about Italy, though I've never had any personal issues with anyone there. I've always received my purchases from them.

The issue I heard about Italy is it`s their post office that the shenanigans take place. There is a good shot that the package will be "lost".

As he recommended to me is buyers in Italy should open their packages in front of postal workers if their package looks tampered with. Contents are being stolen and packages delivered with nothing inside. Oh yes and make sure you get tracking on it.

Last year at around this time, I was hearing a lot of ruckus and discontent towards Royal Mail (UK) from the RS (Star Wars community) forums, second only to the complaints against Mexico's postal service. I'm not sure this qualifies for buyer related issues as much as an overall lack of confidence towards mail delivery services from these countries.

I buy lots of comics from the US and have never had a problem with either USPS or Royal Mail either sending or receiving 2c

IIRC, these complaints were coming mostly from US sellers sending items to these countries. Although there were a few complaints coming from people residing in the countries as well.

Not suggesting an endorsement of these complaints by sharing them, but more to prove there were complaints from which I based my previous post - here are just a few of the slew of posts when you search on Royal Mail on the RS forums:

Royal Mail Int mail: reasons NOT to use it

UK sellers Beware - Paypal Issue

Ebay. Warning ! Shipping to Mexico

ROYAL MAIL PARCEL THEFTS (have you lost any yet)

As a footnote to this discussion, I'm not sure why PayPal and/or eBay haven't yet devised a sellers tool that allows them to drill down on the specific details of coverage, required services etc.

A simple form which some drop down choices such as:

I'm shipping from:

Select Country

Canada

USA

UK

AND I'm shipping to:

Select Country

Canada

USA

UK

So using a hypothetical example, where I choose from Canada to USA, the form might provide the following suggestion:

Based on the from (Canada) and to (U.S.) values chosen, here is what you must use to be eligible under PayPal Seller Protection for the total amount of $XXX

Service: CanadaPost XpressPost with signature confirmation, full insured value.

I mean it seems third rate of them to not have something like this already in place. If anything, it would help a seller who could do a screencapture of this and let the buyer know this is why their shipping comes out to what it does.

My friend always tells me Nigeria, and Italy. He said Italy has a terrible postal service. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard the same about Italy, though I've never had any personal issues with anyone there. I've always received my purchases from them.

The issue I heard about Italy is it`s their post office that the shenanigans take place. There is a good shot that the package will be "lost".

As he recommended to me is buyers in Italy should open their packages in front of postal workers if their package looks tampered with. Contents are being stolen and packages delivered with nothing inside. Oh yes and make sure you get tracking on it.

Last year at around this time, I was hearing a lot of ruckus and discontent towards Royal Mail (UK) from the RS (Star Wars community) forums, second only to the complaints against Mexico's postal service. I'm not sure this qualifies for buyer related issues as much as an overall lack of confidence towards mail delivery services from these countries.

I buy lots of comics from the US and have never had a problem with either USPS or Royal Mail either sending or receiving 2c

IIRC, these complaints were coming mostly from US sellers sending items to these countries. Although there were a few complaints coming from people residing in the countries as well.

Not suggesting an endorsement of these complaints by sharing them, but more to prove there were complaints from which I based my previous post - here are just a few of the slew of posts when you search on Royal Mail on the RS forums:

Royal Mail Int mail: reasons NOT to use it

UK sellers Beware - Paypal Issue

Ebay. Warning ! Shipping to Mexico

ROYAL MAIL PARCEL THEFTS (have you lost any yet)

Having sold to and bought from the US (as well as other countries) a hell of a lot of times over years, I feel fairly confident in saying that the UK and US postal services usually have very similar levels of efficiency and service.

As a footnote to this discussion, I'm not sure why PayPal and/or eBay haven't yet devised a sellers tool that allows them to drill down on the specific details of coverage, required services etc.

A simple form which some drop down choices such as:

I'm shipping from:

Select Country

Canada

USA

UK

AND I'm shipping to:

Select Country

Canada

USA

UK

So using a hypothetical example, where I choose from Canada to USA, the form might provide the following suggestion:

Based on the from (Canada) and to (U.S.) values chosen, here is what you must use to be eligible under PayPal Seller Protection for the total amount of $XXX

Service: CanadaPost XpressPost with signature confirmation, full insured value.

I mean it seems third rate of them to not have something like this already in place. If anything, it would help a seller who could do a screencapture of this and let the buyer know this is why their shipping comes out to what it does.

The reason why they do not provide somthing this simple is easy.

They specifically do NOT want to provide this information in a readily accessible format because it would lower THEIR profits.

A package to Czech took two months to arrive.....it came to the point that even I thought I was a crook...once I heard of the arrival...I bowed never to send anything there again

I sent a $350 cell phone to Russia once. Buyer filed item not as described charge. Evidently the package arrived to the buyer with a pair of binoculars in it. My guess is someone in the Russian post office has a really nice Droid now.

A package to Czech took two months to arrive.....it came to the point that even I thought I was a crook...once I heard of the arrival...I bowed never to send anything there again

Corruption is rampant in Eastern Bloc countries. More often than not, buyers will warn you and provide specific instruction on things not to do when sending anything to them because they've had to learn themselves the hard way how easily things can go missing.

Luxx asked me to post this but I don't know where he got the info from:

Note to International buyers: We do insure your packages against theft and loss in transit through Shipsavers- for free. However the following Countries are excluded from being insurable- and no guarantee of delivery or refunds are offered if your package is lost in transit to the following locations.

Abkhazia, Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola (including Cabinda), Bangladesh, Barbados, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cabinda, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, chechnya, Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea - Bissau, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kenya, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, truck/rail shipments to and within Mexico other than as a connecting conveyance, Moldova, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Papua/New Guinea, Paraguay, Qatar, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Venezuela, and Yemen

Back in the day, 2003-2005, the Feds used air. Then boats only was the cheapest. It added about a week or two, depending how close to half way around the world you needed to ship or to ship anywhere.

I've had remarkable success everywhere*, they love me in France & Norway so go f 'n figure.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=active&source=hp&q=%22they+love+me+in+France+and+Norway.+Go+figure.%22&pbx=1&oq=%22they+love+me+in+France+and+Norway.+Go+figure.%

*except once with Sweden, Northern somewhere - Artic?

Hi folks,

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this question, as undoubtedly it has been asked before and you experienced sellers must know the answer. First off, I'm a total rookie/noob when it comes to selling - I haven't sold anything in 6-7 years and have never sold anything that cost more than a few hundred bucks.

My predicament is that I've received an offer from a buyer (in Pennsylvania; I am in NYC), who is an unknown quantity to me, for a 5-figure piece of comic book art. I am willing to take the offer, but the buyer insists on using PayPal (whereas I prefer a certified bank check or bank wire, which is what I use personally for all of my large purchases).

My question is: is there any way to protect myself against chargeback scams (domestically)? Or is that a risk that every seller who accepts PayPal simply must take? I don't need the cash, so I just won't do the deal if there is any possibility whatsoever that I get hosed by it.

Thanks for your help,

Gene (Selling Noob) :foryou:

Hi folks, My question is:

is there any way to protect myself against chargeback scams (domestically)? Or is that a risk that every seller who accepts PayPal simply must take? I don't need the cash, so I just won't do the deal if there is any possibility whatsoever that I get hosed by it.

Thanks for your help,

Gene (Selling Noob) :foryou:

I may be too late but if the buyer insists on PayPal after being reasoned with by offering to deal with him via other means of electronic payment that are more secure or whatever other imagination + knowlege you can muster to persuade this obstinate ignoramus to join us in the 21st centuryt and to trust you and hot-link yor street cred to here. We've got your back. "WE" trust you.)

Or, as they say, "RUUUUUUUUUUUUN"

3633328787_63f3c5ca2e.jpg

Hmm..lemme see...

Spain

Italy

Thailand

France

:frustrated:

These countries are the biggest reason why I don't ship overseas anymore ( board members excluded). WAAAY too many people charging back and bichin about postage; I just got fed up and said it, no more

France, UK, Spain, Portugal for sure.

I too stopped shipping overseas when they expected 5 CGC slabs to be shipped for less than $20.00 US. The last clown gave me five negatives because I "overcharged" for shipping and whined like the little girl about the International Express costs. I was "supposed" to trust his word that he would NOT chargeback the then-$1300 worth of non-key CGC'd comics. Where have I heard that story before???

CAL hm

Hmm..lemme see...

Spain

Italy

Thailand

France

These countries are the biggest reason why I don't ship overseas anymore ( board members excluded). WAAAY too many people charging back and bichin about postage; I just got fed up and said it, no more

I too stopped shipping overseas when they expected 5 CGC slabs to be shipped for less than $20.00 US. The last clown gave me five negatives because I "overcharged" for shipping and whined like the little girl about the International Express costs. I was "supposed" to trust his word that he would NOT chargeback the then-$1300 worth of non-key CGC'd comics. Where have I heard that story before???

CAL hm

You certainly got the thin end of the wedge with those nasty international buyers, Cal. :(

Hmm..lemme see...

Spain

Italy

Thailand

France

CAL hm

So the UK is a no-go area because you've had a naughty buyer and therefore the whole country can't be trusted? doh!