• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Countries To Avoid Shipping To (Chargeback Problems)

80 posts in this topic

Hmm..lemme see...

Spain

Italy

Thailand

France

:frustrated:

These countries are the biggest reason why I don't ship overseas anymore ( board members excluded). WAAAY too many people charging back and bichin about postage; I just got fed up and said it, no more

France, UK, Spain, Portugal for sure.

I too stopped shipping overseas when they expected 5 CGC slabs to be shipped for less than $20.00 US. The last clown gave me five negatives because I "overcharged" for shipping and whined like the little girl about the International Express costs. I was "supposed" to trust his word that he would NOT chargeback the then-$1300 worth of non-key CGC'd comics. Where have I heard that story before???

CAL hm

So the UK is a no-go area because you've had a naughty buyer and therefore the whole country can't be trusted? doh!

Unfortunately the UK/France buyers slammed my DSRs, and adamantly posted feedback that slammed me for "overcharging". This cost me my power seller status, and thus several hundred $$$ in extra fees.

I know it was only a handful of people that ruined my DSRs, but the benefit of selling International is not profitable for me. Until eBay changes that dumb system, I will continue to only sell to USA. Sure, the USA has the same idiotic pinheads that want free ship, free insurance, free this, free that, but I have far more control over them than the UKer that posted on the chat board that "xyz overcharged me, but this kid in NYC shipped my modern ASM 600 for $21.00. Who does xyz think he is, charging me $55 to ship that IMSM 9.2 to me and have me sign for it?". Yes that is nearly word for word what he posted.

I am posting this to answer the OP's intent.

CAL

Hmm..lemme see...

Spain, Italy, Thailand, France, :frustrated:

These countries are the biggest reason why I don't ship overseas anymore ( board members excluded).

I too stopped shipping overseas . . .

CAL hm

So the UK is a no-go area because you've had a naughty buyer and therefore the whole country can't be trusted? doh!

Unfortunately the UK/France buyers slammed my DSRs, and adamantly posted feedback that slammed me for "overcharging". This cost me my power seller status, and thus several hundred $$$ in extra fees.

I know it was only a handful of people that ruined my DSRs, but the benefit of selling International is not profitable for me. Until eBay changes that dumb system, I will continue to only sell to USA.

CAL

To CalAmerica: Hail fellow. Well met.

*whispered aside* "It's me. From the ebay comics chat. SkyPinkBlue mediating between me and thee v

Stu(pidman.) You pm'ed me to engage Stu in some of our usual flame war drama about my "annoying" posting style."

Factor your average annual losses via international bubbling/treachery and pass it along to the other suckers

international afficionados by tacking on a hidden surcharge of a dollar or two. Y'know, like Starbucks. B of A, et al.

Btw, I agree. PayPalS u c ks.com ebay b l o w s

Here are the English Cousins weighing in over @ comicopolis.ning.com

Permalink Reply by Garry on November 9, 2011 at 12:31am

It's certainly wise advice to not ship to anywhere that has no available insurance.

Permalink Reply by Steve W on Friday

I would add Italy to that list. The postal authorities there seem very corrupt and items always take weeks to arrive at their destination. Recorded delivery makes no difference as the Italian postal authorities don't recognise Recorded Delivery. I always include Italy in my list of excluded nations.

Plus Silvio Bellesconi is a complete -hole.

Permalink Reply by Garry on Saturday

Yeah, a lot of people say the same thing about Italy, it has a very bad reputation for postal problems. Never shipped to there myself yet and would be hesitant to do so.

Permalink Reply by Henry on Saturday

When I sell on ebay I always say UK only. It's hard enough for me to work out the UK postage, let alone workout the postage for other countries. I have relented once or twice after 'nice' emails from people but as far as I remember that was only to France and Holland and they seemed to work OK.

Permalink Reply by Comicopolis on Saturday

The Royal Mail website is easy to use for working out international postage.

When selling GA or SA books, especially the higher priced ones, you're more likely to sell them abroad than in the UK. I would say the USA is the best market to get premium prices for your books.

Andrew's right, it is easy to find prices on royalmail.com. They have an automatic price finder where you just enter the destination and weight and it lists the available options with costs.

I've sent a lot of stuff to the US and alos sent to Canada, France, Spain, Germany and Australia and I've yet to have a problem. International shipping is usually fairly easy as long as you make sure that you get anything of any value, insured.

Permalink Reply by KEVIN on Sunday

I have shipped to a few of these countries ( Brazil & Mexico ) over the years and had no problems.

The main problems for me unfortunatly have been in the UK, there is always at least 1 a***hole in every batch.

Permalink Reply by Steve W yesterday

Kev, I'm sure people probably said this about me when I started selling my first batch of comics. I knew nothing about grading at the time, other than "NM" meant that the comic was in very, very good condition! I sold a copy of Action 345 - "condition NM" and got £25 for it, only to have it returned (I always put that I accept returns on my ebay listings) with a note from the purchaser explaining how grading worked and that this particular comic was in no way "NM"! Needless to say I sent him a full refund, including his postage!

Still you live and learn, as they say, and I have never had a comic returned to me since then. Hopefully I'm no longer regarded as an a**hole on ebay!

Hmm..lemme see...

These countries are the biggest reason why I don't ship overseas anymore ( board members excluded).

CAL hm

I know it was only a handful of people that ruined my DSRs, but the benefit of selling International is not profitable for me. Until eBay changes that dumb system, I will continue to only sell to USA.

CAL

*whispered aside* "It's me. From the ebay comics chat. SkyPinkBlue mediating between me and thee v

Stu(pidman.) You pm'ed me to engage Stu in some of our usual flame war drama about my "annoying" posting style."

Factor your average annual losses via international bubbling/treachery and pass it along to the other suckers

international afficionados by tacking on a hidden surcharge of a dollar or two. Y'know, like Starbucks. B of A, et al.

It's certainly wise advice to not ship to anywhere that has no available insurance.

I would add Italy to that list. The postal authorities there seem very corrupt and items always take weeks to arrive at their destination. Recorded delivery makes no difference as the Italian postal authorities don't recognise Recorded Delivery. I always include Italy in my list of excluded nations.

Yeah, a lot of people say the same thing about Italy, it has a very bad reputation for postal problems. Never shipped to there myself yet and would be hesitant to do so.

When I sell on ebay I always say UK only. It's hard enough for me to work out the UK postage, let alone workout the postage for other countries. I have relented once or twice after 'nice' emails from people but as far as I remember that was only to France and Holland and they seemed to work OK.

When selling GA or SA books, especially the higher priced ones, you're more likely to sell them abroad than in the UK. I would say the USA is the best market to get premium prices for your books.

Andrew's right, it is easy to find prices on royalmail.com. They have an automatic price finder where you just enter the destination and weight and it lists the available options with costs.

I've sent a lot of stuff to the US and alos sent to Canada, France, Spain, Germany and Australia and I've yet to have a problem. International shipping is usually fairly easy as long as you make sure that you get anything of any value, insured.

I have shipped to a few of these countries ( Brazil & Mexico ) over the years and had no problems.

The main problems for me unfortunatly have been in the UK, there is always at least 1 a***hole in every batch.

Kev, I'm sure people probably said this about me when I started selling my first batch of comics. I knew nothing about grading at the time, other than "NM" meant that the comic was in very, very good condition! I sold a copy of Action 345 - "condition NM" and got £25 for it, only to have it returned (I always put that I accept returns on my ebay listings) with a note from the purchaser explaining how grading worked and that this particular comic was in no way "NM"! Needless to say I sent him a full refund, including his postage!

Still you live and learn, as they say, and I have never had a comic returned to me since then. Hopefully I'm no longer regarded as an a**hole on ebay!

OMG there are people spying on the Comicopolis site. :o

Hmm..lemme see...

CAL hm

CAL

OMG there are people spying on the Comicopolis site. :o

Your secrets will not be secrets for long.

Hmm..lemme see...

CAL hm

CAL

Comicopolis has done very well by me and does not deserve negativity.

CAL who knows who to spend his money with...

Which Comicopolis r u refering 2? This 1?

http://www.comicopolisonline.com/

Located in beautiful downtown Santa Cruz, Comicopolis

(Winner of the Good Times Best of Santa Cruz Readers Poll -

Best Comic Bookstore category) has served the Santa Cruz community, since 1997

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comicopolis/70732484055

Comicopolis

829 Front St.

Santa Cruz, California 95060

webmaster@comicopolisonline.com

Comicopolis | 829 Front St. | Santa Cruz | CA | 95060

Or This 1?

link

Which Comicopolis r u refering 2? This 1?

http://www.comicopolisonline.com/

Located in beautiful downtown Santa Cruz, Comicopolis

(Winner of the Good Times Best of Santa Cruz Readers Poll -

Best Comic Bookstore category) has served the Santa Cruz community, since 1997

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comicopolis/70732484055

Comicopolis

829 Front St.

Santa Cruz, California 95060

webmaster@comicopolisonline.com

Comicopolis | 829 Front St. | Santa Cruz | CA | 95060

Or This 1?

link

Who me? I was referring to your favourite UK webmaster and to the rather friendly little, UK Based chat forum that you quoted from earlier and also the small online comic store that bears the name of Comicopolis.

I was aware of the other Comicopolises........ Or should that be Comicopolisi? hm

Or that other Latin comic book store: Vox Comic Populi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vox_populi

*ahem* Anyway, USPS has a deal w/AussieMail to do our delivery confirmation down yonders way.

And some of those countries that we don't ship American nor, probably Brit, (maybe French) comics to don't have anyone there that has enough time, much less money, for this little niche market. I mean most of the populations of these countries are too concerned with their baseline needs to care about, much less pay for ------------------- < insert funny book title & #.

Besides, they have there own home-grown comics publishers/pirates.

And they still may have vestiges of thier colonial masters' postal delivery systems integrity left intact. But yes you're right. After all these years.

Bottom line? Diplomatic Courier Sacks, (Not pouches. Mine were grey canvas bank bags the size of gargage can liners) offered by the USPS.

Let's please not beat these unfortunate comic book afficionados while they're down and out in Chad. {Sexual innuendo thread?}

There are ways of delivery and then there are other ways. Call them "end runs."

And if not, don't eat the loss, pass it forward in bits to all your other clients, in miniscule hidden amounts.

I'm talkin' 'bout nickels and dimes, here, people.

I just got done by one in Italy :-(

Do you ship to UK forumnites Cal or are we in the bad books as well?

herc

Yep, Cal has stated in this thread that the UK is on the "list" and not to be shipped to.