• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Occupy CGC posted by pgbeckstrom

49 posts in this topic

How do they get "called to task?" people are either going to keep using the service or they are not. I do mostly Sig Series books. There is no alternative. Realistically, there is no alternative for any grading services. Everyone including CGC wants the published time frames to be met. I sincerely believe that they would hire more graders if they could find folks with the right skills who were willing to move to Florida for what they pay. It is not like finding cashiers or waiters.

if they simply paid more, the graders would come and people who don't like waiting 4-6 months for books would send in more and they'd more than make up for the increase in salary.

How do they get "called to task?" people are either going to keep using the service or they are not. I do mostly Sig Series books. There is no alternative. Realistically, there is no alternative for any grading services. Everyone including CGC wants the published time frames to be met. I sincerely believe that they would hire more graders if they could find folks with the right skills who were willing to move to Florida for what they pay. It is not like finding cashiers or waiters.

if they simply paid more, the graders would come and people who don't like waiting 4-6 months for books would send in more and they'd more than make up for the increase in salary.

Where are these graders? It is not like there are grading schools pouring out graduates every year. In addition to having the skill set necessary, those folks need to be willing to move to Florida and make certain collecting concessions involving the commercial sale of comic books that may be tough for some to deal with as well.

I don't think we're talking about nuclear scientists or forensic pathologists here. I doubt that it is impossible to find individuals that have the right mix of traits who could be trained to do the job. 2011 unemployment in Florida ranges from 10-12%, Actually, I imagine there are plenty of folks that are more than willing to do the job.

I've posted general whining about my books taking a while, but it's not at the expense of the CGC. We pay for what we get, and I pay for economy. I ALSO often submit at a con in person, which adds to the bottleneck periods, but also saves me some money on postage to send it out i.e. my saving $15-30 for a load of books dropped off, in person, at a con I was already planning to attend, saves me about the price of one submission.

And I love the service, from the physical holders to the notes to the website. I would rather they take time to hire excellent graders or replacements than just bump up their staff for the sake of headcount.

I see it as an ongoing churn process; I get books, I get money, I send books. I wait. I repeat usually once my slabs come back... which is when I have more books... and more money...

And at the end of the day, I'll wait for a job well done over a faster half-donkeyed job.

I don't think we're talking about nuclear scientists or forensic pathologists here. I doubt that it is impossible to find individuals that have the right mix of traits who could be trained to do the job. 2011 unemployment in Florida ranges from 10-12%, Actually, I imagine there are plenty of folks that are more than willing to do the job.

Are you serious? You are advocating just hiring some guys who got laid off at GM and "training" them to grade comics for the only acknowledged 3rd party grading service in the world? You do realize that most if not all of the graders, past and present, have decades of experience as collectors, dealers and other aspects of the hobby? Most have been handling vintage comics their entire adult lives.

I appreciate that everyone wants their graded comic books to come back faster, but sometimes I am simply flabbergasted.

Are you serious? You are advocating just hiring some guys who got laid off at GM and "training" them to grade comics for the only acknowledged 3rd party grading service in the world? You do realize that most if not all of the graders, past and present, have decades of experience as collectors, dealers and other aspects of the hobby? Most have been handling vintage comics their entire adult lives.

I appreciate that everyone wants their graded comic books to come back faster, but sometimes I am simply flabbergasted.

No, I'm not simply saying take a factory line worker and put him to work grading. You're over simplifying the point.

What I am saying is that there are probably alot of other professions that have similiar skill sets that could be trained and put to work as professional graders. Compulsive attention to detail probably being the most valuable skill. I would argue that there are probably artists, teachers and other professional individuals who have the right mix of traits who can be trained to do the job. Even GM has a vast number of specialties within the organization and there could be someone who could fit into the position.

Most jobs do not require a life time of involvement to be able to fill the position. If this was the case, most jobs would likely go unfilled. Also, in my opinion, the elitism and disparaging of laid off individuals is probably uncalled for.

For the record, I love CGC.

Do not think in any way this should be taken as anything other than a compliment, regardless of the new shipment you are about to recieve.

Do not be influenced by my love and admiration.

:foryou:

Also, in my opinion, the elitism and disparaging of laid off individuals is probably uncalled for.

I haven't said anything disparaging about anyone, including you.

Also, in my opinion, you should go *spoon* yourself.

Also, in my opinion, the elitism and disparaging of laid off individuals is probably uncalled for.

Nice...

Both insightful and thought provoking. I'm really glad we can have an adult conversation here.

Nice...

Both insightful and thought provoking. I'm really glad we can have an adult conversation here.

Yes, this journal thread has certainly been a fountain of insights so far.

If you can't deal with the long waits during the busy summer months, fast-track your books or refrain from subbing till the convention season is over & CGC's turnaround times are closer to their estimates.

I know this may be hard to believe, but no amount of whining, moaning or gnashing of teeth is going to make your books come back faster.

Nice...

you.

Nice...

If you can't deal with the long waits during the busy summer months, fast-track your books or refrain from subbing till the convention season is over & CGC's turnaround times are closer to their estimates.

I know this may be hard to believe, but no amount of whining, moaning or gnashing of teeth is going to make your books come back faster.

To be honest with you, I participated in this conversation to discuss an issue I see and throw out some ideas for discussion. If you choose to characterize the discussion as "whining/moaning/gnashing" well, that's you're opinion and we're all entitled to them. But I would expect that we can have a conversation with folks that have differing opinions without devolving into insults.

Nice...

To be honest with you, I participated in this conversation to discuss an issue I see and throw out some ideas for discussion. If you choose to characterize the discussion as "whining/moaning/gnashing" well, that's you're opinion and we're all entitled to them. But I would expect that we can have a conversation with folks that have differing opinions without devolving into insults.

I would have thought that too, until you decided to gratify yourself by intimating that my comments in any way demeaned folks who have been laid off.

you.

Nice...

you.

What, you can't take having your opinion analyzed and challenged? Given this response, I'd expect you still live at home with mom and dad. It might be good to put on the big boy pants and realize that other people might have differing opinions, like it or not.

Nice...

you.

What, you can't take having your opinion analyzed and challenged? Given this response, I'd expect you still live at home with mom and dad. It might be good to put on the big boy pants and realize that other people might have differing opinions, like it or not.

This coming from a guy that thinks CGC can hire artists and other professionals as comic book graders. You are a peach. Please keep analyzing and challenging, because your keen insights and pinpoint analysis likely hold the key to unlocking other serious problems. Also, the living in the basement with mom and dad stuff is always the hallmark of a rapier wit.

you.

Nice...

I would have thought that too, until you decided to gratify yourself by intimating that my comments in any way demeaned folks who have been laid off.

you.

You said, "You are advocating just hiring some guys who got laid off at GM and "training" them to grade comics for the only acknowledged 3rd party grading service in the world?"

This indicates to me that you think these folks aren't good enough and can't do the job. I say that some of these folks, with the right skills and training could do the job. If you think otherwise then just say it without all the explitives. I've seen too many times where folks think they are irreplacible. Just look what's happened to the IT field over the last two decades. Look at Ken Jenning and Watson. If there was enough money in it, IBM could probably build an expert system that would do the job better than the people currently doing it. And I'm not saying that to be insulting, my job could probably be done better than me by a computer as well.

Nice...

you.

You said, "You are advocating just hiring some guys who got laid off at GM and "training" them to grade comics for the only acknowledged 3rd party grading service in the world?"

This indicates to me that you think these folks aren't good enough and can't do the job. I say that some of these folks, with the right skills and training could do the job. If you think otherwise then just say it without all the explitives. I've seen too many times where folks think they are irreplacible. Just look what's happened to the IT field over the last two decades. Look at Ken Jenning and Watson. If there was enough money in it, IBM could probably build an expert system that would do the job better than the people currently doing it. And I'm not saying that to be insulting, my job could probably be done better than me by a computer as well.

My point is that it takes more than training. It takes years and years of handling books to know the textures, smells and other individuals characteristics that go with books from the last 70 years.

I should not have told you to *spoon* yourself multiple times. That was rude and I apologize. I was not demeaning the laid off; I have a much higher threshold for what graders must be able to do to be good and successful.

Nice...

you.

This indicates to me that you think these folks aren't good enough and can't do the job. I say that some of these folks, with the right skills and training could do the job. If you think otherwise then just say it without all the expletives. I've seen too many times where folks think they are irreplaceable. Just look what's happened to the IT field over the last two decades. Look at Ken Jennings and Watson. If there was enough money in it, IBM could probably build an expert system that would do the job better than the people currently doing it. And I'm not saying that to be insulting, my job could probably be done better than me by a computer as well.

My point is that it takes more than training. It takes years and years of handling books to know the textures, smells and other individuals characteristics that go with books from the last 70 years.

I should not have told you to *spoon* yourself multiple times. That was rude and I apologize. I was not demeaning the laid off; I have a much higher threshold for what graders must be able to do to be good and successful.

Fair enough, I guess maybe we're coming at this from two different perspectives.

And you're right, the basement comment was pretty unoriginal. Anyway, nothing personal and I can be a *person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed* when arguing a point. :)

Nice...

you.

grading isn't rocket science though. i'm sure there are thousands of people out there who have been around comics their whole lives who are ready or nearly ready to do the job. and with unemployment at 9%, i'm sure at least a few of them need a job.