• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Occupy CGC posted by pgbeckstrom

49 posts in this topic

Yes. Bygones. :foryou: If you are ever in SW Ohio let me know. My mom and dad's basement is tricked out pretty sweet. :grin:

I'd actually look forward to that. I often escape to my basement whenever my wife and daughter make too much noise.

Also, in my opinion, the elitism and disparaging of laid off individuals is probably uncalled for.

I haven't said anything disparaging about anyone, including you.

Also, in my opinion, you should go *spoon* yourself.

Nice...

Both insightful and thought provoking. I'm really glad we can have an adult conversation here.

Yes, this journal thread has certainly been a fountain of insights so far.

If you can't deal with the long waits during the busy summer months, fast-track your books or refrain from subbing till the convention season is over & CGC's turnaround times are closer to their estimates.

I know this may be hard to believe, but no amount of whining, moaning or gnashing of teeth is going to make your books come back faster.

To be honest with you, I participated in this conversation to discuss an issue I see and throw out some ideas for discussion. If you choose to characterize the discussion as "whining/moaning/gnashing" well, that's you're opinion and we're all entitled to them. But I would expect that we can have a conversation with folks that have differing opinions without devolving into insults.

I would have thought that too, until you decided to gratify yourself by intimating that my comments in any way demeaned folks who have been laid off.

you.

You said, "You are advocating just hiring some guys who got laid off at GM and "training" them to grade comics for the only acknowledged 3rd party grading service in the world?"

This indicates to me that you think these folks aren't good enough and can't do the job. I say that some of these folks, with the right skills and training could do the job.

:doh:

cgcad.jpg

Also, in my opinion, the elitism and disparaging of laid off individuals is probably uncalled for.

I haven't said anything disparaging about anyone, including you.

Also, in my opinion, you should go *spoon* yourself.

Nice...

Both insightful and thought provoking. I'm really glad we can have an adult conversation here.

Yes, this journal thread has certainly been a fountain of insights so far.

If you can't deal with the long waits during the busy summer months, fast-track your books or refrain from subbing till the convention season is over & CGC's turnaround times are closer to their estimates.

I know this may be hard to believe, but no amount of whining, moaning or gnashing of teeth is going to make your books come back faster.

To be honest with you, I participated in this conversation to discuss an issue I see and throw out some ideas for discussion. If you choose to characterize the discussion as "whining/moaning/gnashing" well, that's you're opinion and we're all entitled to them. But I would expect that we can have a conversation with folks that have differing opinions without devolving into insults.

I would have thought that too, until you decided to gratify yourself by intimating that my comments in any way demeaned folks who have been laid off.

you.

You said, "You are advocating just hiring some guys who got laid off at GM and "training" them to grade comics for the only acknowledged 3rd party grading service in the world?"

This indicates to me that you think these folks aren't good enough and can't do the job. I say that some of these folks, with the right skills and training could do the job. If you think otherwise then just say it without all the explitives. I've seen too many times where folks think they are irreplacible. Just look what's happened to the IT field over the last two decades. Look at Ken Jenning and Watson. If there was enough money in it, IBM could probably build an expert system that would do the job better than the people currently doing it. And I'm not saying that to be insulting, my job could probably be done better than me by a computer as well.

My point is that it takes more than training. It takes years and years of handling books to know the textures, smells and other individuals characteristics that go with books from the last 70 years.

I should not have told you to *spoon* yourself multiple times. That was rude and I apologize. I was not demeaning the laid off; I have a much higher threshold for what graders must be able to do to be good and successful.

grading isn't rocket science though. i'm sure there are thousands of people out there who have been around comics their whole lives who are ready or nearly ready to do the job. and with unemployment at 9%, i'm sure at least a few of them need a job.

Given the results of the past grading competitions, the number of people who are ready to step into CGC as a grader is pretty small. Toro would be my #1 choice.

It would be nice if the CGC could stick to the turn around times promised. But like in most businesses, there is a busy season or time of year. Then once this time of year is over, things return to normal. It's not that big of a deal. And like many have said, if you want them faster, pay more for the service. Thats my two pennies.