• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How bad do you want change?

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone else remember when journal entries used to be mostly about the actual books we collected or read? Lately it seems like every other journal is a vent, rant, or rave about turn around times.

Do you think users venting on the message boards is really the way to incite change in CGCs operation? Personally, I don't think so. As a small private business owner myself I believe that the best way to gauge customer satisfaction is to monitor the rate of cash flow and gross profit (GP). One can kill themselves trying to please everyone, but if cash flow and GP is steadily increasing than at least one of two things is happening (both good): Customer base is growing and/or existing customer base is spending more. Unless cash flow and GP plateau or decline for an extended period of time then there is absolutely no reason for CGC to change their business practices from a business minded point of view.

As with any company in the world there is one motto that always holds true... "money talks". I think if there is to be any real change then the consumers would have to band together to significantly damage CGCs bottom line. For example, a mass boycott that includes several heavy hitters the likes of major dealers, distributors, and major players in the collecting world. However, I don't think this is ever going to happen as, oddly enough, most of the people who post on here about being unhappy with the turn around times are still actively using the service. Income from a few dis-satisfied customers spends the same as the rest and I think it is a safe assumption that there are more happy customers than unhappy ones.

In fact, I say someone needs to give CGC a trophy for figuring out how to get people who are not fully satisfied with their services to still hand over fists full of cash on a regular basis. CGC must have learned this at a class taught by my wireless phone service provider! I for one am a satisfied customer and will just continue to be patient for my slabs.

Now onto what I miss most about the journals... COMIC BOOKS!

I'm sure it's no secret anymore, but if you are looking for a great read and some beautiful art then you need to check out Lady Mechanika by Joe Benitez from publisher Aspen. Top notch stuff and I'm not just saying that because I've been a long time fan of Aspen comics and I dig the steam punk movement. Michael Turner's Fathom and Soulfire series are quality books too and the TPBs can be found pretty cheap online and at conventions.

Thanks for reading!

9736.jpg

See more journals by clouded9

You state how journals should be related to our hobby( I thought turn-around times for comic books would be somewhat related to our hobby?!) and then go on to discuss basic business models which is unrelated to comic books. If speaking about a subject doesn't incite change then feel free to jump in the Delorean, hit 88 MPH and go tell the following groups to shut their collective mouths: every person involved in the Civil Rights movement, women involved in suffrage during the early 20th century, Roe vs. Wade, gay and lesbian rights and not to mention people across the world speaking out about the skewed division of labor( lets just forget that one though because what have they changed except people's perception). Thats just a few I could think of off the top of my head, so I challenge you to discover other groups that began with talking and how that led to change.

I use the message boards for a specific reason. If I wanted to address CGC directly then I would contact them though the proper channels. Writing over a message board makes it public not private so things cannot be covered up. After all you read it right?

Come on pgbeckstrom... are you really comparing a campaign against CGC to the Civil Rights movement, women's rights movement, etc.? Until CGC starts oppressing people based on their collecting tastes or values of their books how about you tap the brakes on that argument as it is a bit insensitive and, to me, a bit insulting to compare CGC turn around times to these world changing movements.

Now on to you taking the first line of my journal out of context. I "stated" how journals used to be about the BOOKS... as in the little stacks of paper stapled together with words a pretty pictures inside. I never said or implied that journals about CGC turn around times do not relate to our hobby. I was merely stating that I miss the time when journals where used by members to share recommendations/reviews on books they have or are currently reading/collecting, conventions attended, artists met, and so on as opposed to a soap box for unhappy customers. I'll try again to convey this so that it can't be misunderstood.

I miss the journals about THE BOOKS and prefer reading journals about THE BOOKS as opposed to the journals about the company that grades THE BOOKS. It's always been more about collecting the books than collecting the protective slabs they are in, right? If not, then I'll find a bunch of pieces of plastic and trade them to you for your books...

I am definitely comparing CGC's business model to those things! It may not be related in scale, but the concept is the same. Talking LEADS to change. Not being quiet and afraid of offending someone. Apathy has lead things to where they are now. If you feel it is insensitive and your feelings are hurt then you need to get some thick skin. You may be black, or woman, or gay, or lesbian and if so then be happy knowing people spoke up and took action instead of disparaging those that do.

Tell me where it says the Journals don't allow freedom of speech. I kept my topic on a subject close to our hobby. I am not sorry that I didn't check with you prior to see if that lived up to your standard of what should be discussed over the Journals. If your sensitive sensibilities are offended by open dialogue then stop reading and writing on the Journals.

Mostly rants like this should be discussed over the chat boards...as it is now. And what better place to start that thread but on a journal. I normally just speak my peace without attacking or agreeing with anyone. I have talked to the graders at CGC and they have different graders for each tier. To my knowledge they won't have someone grade a book who doesn't know how to grade a book, including simply knowing how many pages are in a modern age book compared to a silver age book. I remember the days when god damn it why doesn't my Daredevil #48 fit in this brand new bag.

I didn't see anywhere Clouded9 was attacking you. I like the journals, much better than I like the chat boards because I can say my piece and not get attacked. I once wrote a review on a movie and the person disagreed with it so much my family was disparaged. Your journals should be written no one is contesting that but you have mentioned "if you wanted to contact CGC" and I wonder why don't you. For issues I had in the past I contacted them and they worked diligently to fix them.

CGC knows they have these timely issues and as much as some people think this might be a dream job I am sure there is some stress related issues that they contend with. I like CGC, for the main reason of the chat boards and the journals. If I didn't I can always go to PGX. PGX has better slabs, they do. Buy one and compare. Their prices are cheaper. Check out the website. The thing is their value is also lower than a CGC graded book.

As far as their business model...it works. They have been around for ten years, it is their business practice which is lacking. I might agree with you that CGC needs to either improve their grading time or list the times as a bit longer. My express service was exactly that. They came through. What I don't agree is comparing disgruntlement to the company with social changing life altering events.

As far as any individual being who they are we are comic book collectors, the first geeks. The first people to hide away. Take Chasing Amy for example where the character expresses Black Rage and then discusses the gay undertones with Archie. I mentioned I can wait. Even when I send some books in hat I want to sell, I can wait. Keep writing your journals, i do like reading them but Clouded9 did not attack you, he just added to what you had to say even if he doesn't agree.

You want change from CGC, two things.....write them a letter, scathing or not and stop collecting graded books by them.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

Hah, sorry pgbeckstrom if you feel like a martyr, but no one is trying to take your freedom of speech nor is it in question as I only stated my opinion on your comment, which I believe (help me out here) is my freedom of speech being exercised. If you want me to have a look at your posts before you send them... well ok, I may be able to make the time. I just felt comparing your plight with CGC to the likes of the Civil Rights movement was in poor taste. It's your freedom to say that and my freedom to say it sounds like you are using free speech as a free pass for ignorance. Good luck with your crusade...

The last word is yours if you want it.

I think the problems is CGC gives a turnaround time in their tiers and as humans we look for that time to be somewhat correct. Waiting two to three times longer makes you sit on edge and become impatient. Even though CGC said they lost two graders we as submitters don't take that in account we just want our books back as per tier turnaround time. If anything CGC needs to modify there turnaround time policy.

I think board ranting gives people some solace in knowing they're not the only ones who are frustrated at CGC, and people are trying to find like minds to brainstorm ideas.

I've said in the past that I try now to time book submissions around their SS events to avoid the logjams, plus, even though it's convenient and saves a couple bucks to drop off in person at a con, I don't do it as often as I used to. This is part of what I've learned from viewing the timing of the turnaround rants.

And now I've learned about Lady Mechanika... I'm not one to fall for the "hot chick on the cover" ploy, but that's a pretty nice sales pitch seeing the cover... looks like something I'll check out!

I'm sure it's no secret anymore, but if you are looking for a great read and some beautiful art then you need to check out Lady Mechanika by Joe Benitez from publisher Aspen. Top notch stuff and I'm not just saying that because I've been a long time fan of Aspen comics and I dig the steam punk movement. Michael Turner's Fathom and Soulfire series are quality books too and the TPBs can be found pretty cheap online and at conventions.

Thanks for reading!

9736.jpg

See more journals by clouded9

I went to do some research on Lady Mechanika and discovered there were 17 different covers for only 3 produced issues. :(

Yeah, Aspen sure loves their limited print variant covers, but I'm happy just picking up the standard issues to read. If I can get the sketch/sepia variants cheap from my LCS I'll try to slab and flip them (turn and burn) as they are selling for $60+ fairly regularly on eBay. This method has worked fairly well for me in the past with the Soulfire and Fathom variants from Aspen. Due, in part, to a solid Michael Turner/Aspen fan base that has really grown in the last few years since his passing. Covers aside, they are a pretty good read and the art is pretty killer.