• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age CGC 9.9 and Reality

98 posts in this topic

Yes, I read that the first time.

What do you mean by "qualities"? Do you mean defects that are present?

Sure...either defects or the lack thereof. Positive or negative qualities.

(shrug)

So what would be a positive quality that exists on a 9.8, but not a 9.9?

I think you know what I mean but are trying to get more information. Unfortunately, this is where I have to run out for the kid's lessons and don't have time to get into it.

Basically, the more positive the quality of the book the higher the grade.

One person's positive quality may not be the same as everyone else's but we're talking about CGC's rules here.

(shrug)

The more positive the quality of the book, the higher the grade? Again, what are positive qualities? Is the absence of a negative quality a positive quality? Isn't a grade the reflection of the lack of defects present? Aren't there really no "positive qualities", but merely a lack of "negative qualities"? Am I trolling?

It may have been easier to just say that 9.9s have fewer defects than 9.8s. :gossip:

I bet if you crack and resubmit any 9.9 (without the label) it has at least a 95% chance of coming back 9.8

That's not to say the grade is meaningless. Just that it takes a spectacular comic and a fair amount of luck. But this is just a guess on my part, and maybe I'm wrong.

Taking it further, at what level of constency would you say the CGC graders can distinguish between a 9.9 and a 10.0?

95% chance? Please, only if the book is mishandled before resubbing.

A 9.9 is a 9.9 & a 10.0 is a 10.0. Are there borderline books in any grade? Sure. But to say 95% of the 9.9s would come back less is a gross overstatement.

When I pull and sub a book out of the stacks or boxes that looks higher than 9.8 and it comes back higher than 9.8 then CGC has done there job.

A really beautiful book is just that and should be graded accordingly, not discounted by one's personal perception or bias to higher grades given.

Are you saying you can assess raw books that will come back a 9.9 or 10.0, and predict successfully with a high amount of accuracy?

It may have been easier to just say that 9.9s have fewer defects than 9.8s. :gossip:

Why in the world would anyone want to do that on a message board? By the way, have I told you I've reinvented the wheel?

What shape is it?

I bet if you crack and resubmit any 9.9 (without the label) it has at least a 95% chance of coming back 9.8

That's not to say the grade is meaningless. Just that it takes a spectacular comic and a fair amount of luck. But this is just a guess on my part, and maybe I'm wrong.

Taking it further, at what level of constency would you say the CGC graders can distinguish between a 9.9 and a 10.0?

A 9.9 is a 9.9 & a 10.0 is a 10.0. Are there borderline books in any grade? Sure. But to say 95% of the 9.9s would come back less is a gross overstatement.

When I pull and sub a book out of the stacks or boxes that looks higher than 9.8 and it comes back higher than 9.8 then CGC has done there job.

A really beautiful book is just that and should be graded accordingly, not discounted by one's personal perception or bias to higher grades given.

Are you saying you can assess raw books that will come back a 9.9 or 10.0, and predict successfully with a high amount of accuracy?

Go check out the thread in the Modern forum. Post your 9.9's and 10's.

No there before and after subs of 9.9's and 10's?

No there before and after subs of 9.9's and 10's?

You lost me?

Do you guys remember that Thor book that Chuckles submitted that got a 10.0?

After he found out it was the oldest 10, he sent out a newsletter saying how he had looked at the book before he submitted it and couldn't find a single flaw on it. He and the other MH employees were passing the book around saying how perfect it was and they submitted it only to get a 10.0 on the oldest Marvel comic or some such BS.

Does anyone have a copy of that newsletter? I might be missing the target and not recalling everything accurately, but it was funny as hell at the time. lol

You lost me?

I was asking if there were examples of successful predictions of 9.9's and 10.0's prior to submission.

Not that I have seen but if I were looking to get a 9.9 or a 10 from a raw book, BeachBum and several others I have seen post in the modern section would be the people I would go to.

Do you guys remember that Thor book that Chuckles submitted that got a 10.0?

After he found out it was the oldest 10, he sent out a newsletter saying how he had looked at the book before he submitted it and couldn't find a single flaw on it. He and the other MH employees were passing the book around saying how perfect it was and they submitted it only to get a 10.0 on the oldest Marvel comic or some such BS.

Does anyone have a copy of that newsletter? I might be missing the target and not recalling everything accurately, but it was funny as hell at the time. lol

Paging BUTM.

He gets all butthurt if you call him Blowie.

Why in the world would anyone want to do that on a message board? By the way, have I told you I've reinvented the wheel?

What shape is it?

Dodecahedronal... because hexagonal just wasn't good enough.

9.8 vs. 9.9 is more of a relative comparison than an absolute comparison. Similar to the difference between 10 and 11 explained here.

11/11/11 (tomorrow) is Nigel Tufnel Day! :acclaim:

What shape is it?

Dodecahedronal... because hexagonal just wasn't good enough.

You made me google. Good shlt.

(shrug)

I think you know what I mean but are trying to get more information. Unfortunately, this is where I have to run out for the kid's lessons and don't have time to get into it.

One person's positive quality may not be the same as everyone else's but we're talking about CGC's rules here.

(shrug)

The more positive the quality of the book, the higher the grade? Again, what are positive qualities? Is the absence of a negative quality a positive quality? Isn't a grade the reflection of the lack of defects present? Aren't there really no "positive qualities", but merely a lack of "negative qualities"? Am I trolling?

Sure it would have been easier to say that. It's a no brainer. But after years of repetitive discussion about the subject I just assumed that was a given and you were looking for some other detail or angle.

(shrug)

(shrug)

(shrug)

9.9's and 10.0's are subjective

0.5-.98's are objective

I just looked at an Spider-man #1 CGC 9.9 (TMc) and in the first 2 seconds of seeing the book I saw it an obvious reason why it should have been graded a 9.6, or a generous 9.8 at best.

Almost all 9.9's or 10.0's I have seen could be re-graded lower, so it is what it is.

I just think sometimes a 9.8 looks so good to the modern graders (lets face it that is where the majority of 9.9/10.0's come from) that every once in a while a 9.9/10.0 is produced, especially with a Chromium or hard paper stock cover.

If that 9.9 Iron Man #1 was re-graded I would only come back a 9.6/9.8.

BTW my grades from CGC are just a good as from WW Chicago you long haired hippie. :hi:

To the OP question is CGC 9.9 a reality? Well of course CGC approves& issues that grade on the slab. lol

9.9's and 10.0's are subjective

0.5-.98's are objective

I just looked at an Spider-man #1 CGC 9.9 (TMc) and in the first 2 seconds of seeing the book I saw it an obvious reason why it should have been graded a 9.6, or a generous 9.8 at best.

Almost all 9.9's or 10.0's I have seen could be re-graded lower, so it is what it is.

I just think sometimes a 9.8 looks so good to the modern graders (lets face it that is where the majority of 9.9/10.0's come from) that every once in a while a 9.9/10.0 is produced, especially with a Chromium or hard paper stock cover.

If that 9.9 Iron Man #1 was re-graded I would only come back a 9.6/9.8.

BTW my grades from CGC are just a good as from WW Chicago you long haired hippie. :hi:

To the OP question is CGC 9.9 a reality? Well of course CGC approves& issues that grade on the slab. lol

Technically even lower grades are subjective, but I fully agree with the point you were making.

Obviously every comic is different, but on average what percent of 9.9 regrades would you guess would come back as 9.8? To what percent of consistency would you guess the CGC graders could distinguish between a 9.9 and 10.0?