• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about pence copies

29 posts in this topic

A couple of quetions about pence copies.

1.)Does the fact that (ie- a spidey 1) is a pence copy rather that a 12 cent copy affect the value?

2.)Since Ive never seen one in person is it a sticker or printed on the comic itself?

In most cases Pence copies are worth considerably less than regular copies. Although when you get down into some of the lower grades there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. Also, its printed on the actual comic so its not a sticker that you can take off.

These low grade, poor quality reprints have been diluting the back issue market for a while now. Never let anyone tell you different, they are just inferior reproductions manufactured months, or even years, later. Market value varies, but typically you can expect to get around 5%-10% of guide.

Worse still, the cheap ink used generally leeches and will bleed very easily. It also gives off a transoxidising chemical odour, which is not only somewhat unpleasant, but will migrate to issues stacked nearby and cause these to bleed to.

Just thought you should know.

parochial

adj 1: relating to or supported by or located in a parish; "parochial schools" 2: narrowly restricted in outlook or scope; "little sympathy with parocial mentality"; "insular attitudes toward foreigners" [syn: insular]

for further information see "United States of America"

Gary,

I was always under the assumption that the pence copies were actually identical in every way to the US copies except for the price printed on it. I thought these came right off the same presses at the end of the original runs.

That's the assumption I was under anyway.

Brad

A fatal assumption Brad. Most US collectors have known the truth about these pups for some time now, it's unfortunate that a few like you have been taken in by some of the disinformation that has been put about (largely created by UK dealers/collectors with a vested interest).

Steer clear of these things and for god's sake, tell your friend not to store his AF15 in the same box as his Spidey 1!

Well if you beleive this guy, you'll believe anything. They are off the same press at the same time, as to whether they are at the end of the print run or the begining is very subjective. Even marvel themselves could not answer this back in the early eighties when asked. Stan Lee sent his cousin comics straight over from the US tothe UK at exactly the time they came out, he got a mixture of pence and cents copies, but mostly pence. This may be know to a few as "The uncle Stan collection". You see over here in the UK we have a few big wig dealers and collectors who like to belittle pence copies, because they high grade collectors who have spent way too much money on HG cents copies when they were less available over here, and only through a few selective dealers. Now we have ebay, and most dealers over here shipping them in constantly, and we get a few poor old souls who paid big prices for their very cents copies, but now see them plentiful, 27_laughing.gif. I have a few doubles on certain issues, 1 of each and have to say inks can look better on either, just depending on how it has been stored. the interior of the comic is identical. I have seen American dealers selling pence copies and pence stamp copies as if they are cents. This is just a problem with a selective few in the UK who put down the priced variant pence copies. sumo.gif

I think young Gary was being ironic (would you adam and eve it!). If you type in "pence copies" in the search, you'll see that there have been quite a few threads about this topic before.

Pence copies are conceivably "variants" or conversely "British editions". The market considers them inferior because as U.S. comics are Americana, they should have a cents price. This really is nothing to do with parochialism, however (sorry GP) - virtually all HG Marvel S.A. collectors in the U.K. prefer cents copies. No contest.

Whatever - this may sound disingenuous, but it really is a matter of taste. As Herc has pointed out, they're indistinguishable apart from the price, the absence of the date, and the words "Distributed by Thorpe and Porter etc..... printed under the indicia.

Pence copy AF 15s are still highly prized and very collectable - my saying this has nothing to do with having one in my inventory (perish the thought).

My understanding has always been that they were not reprints, but were printed at the same time from the same press as the regular US versions. I've never personally noticed any difference in print or page quality, but I am willing to admit that this area is not my specialty. No question that they sell for less, however, especially in the case of a higher grade or key comic. In general I've seen an average deduction of about 50%.

Recently, I saw an FF #2 that had a "d" as opposed to a "p". Isn't that Australian? Never encountered that before. confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh Andy, you wouldn't happen to have some of these in your stock would you?

The only reason why any sane collector could possibly want to own these, is because the innacurrate print runs, which frequently got the pages in the wrong order or even, on occassion, missed some out completely, could mean that some issues could classify as genuine variants.

I'm not sure about Red's AF15 though. It doesn't even say 'pence' on the cover and I suspect it may be a German copy. There were about 90 DM to the dollar in the early 60's, so the cover price would tie in. I believe the German copies were somewhat superior, although the translation does suffer in places.

I'm not sure about Red's AF15 though. It doesn't even say 'pence' on the cover and I suspect it may be a German copy. There were about 90 DM to the dollar in the early 60's, so the cover price would tie in. I believe the German copies were somewhat superior, although the translation does suffer in places.

GP, just 'cause Arsenal haven't lost a game all season and have won the League at a canter doesn't mean you should come on these boards and disseminate such unspeakable and tawdry disinformation.

Red doesn't have the German copy - it's the Outer Mongolian edition - the "d" stood for "donkey" which as everybody on this board knows (even Economo and Hyperwave) was the unit of currency in that country up until the early '80s.

This really is nothing to do with parochialism, however (sorry GP) - virtually all HG Marvel S.A. collectors in the U.K. prefer cents copies. No contest.

Wanting to have cents rather than pence copies isn't praochialism. Having a complete ignorance of everything unless it is on your own doorstep, is.

This is my equivalent of a oh-my-god-it's-a-Hulk-181-thread.

Red doesn't have the German copy - it's the Outer Mongolian edition - the "d" stood for "donkey" which as everybody on this board knows (even Economo and Hyperwave) was the unit of currency in that country up until the early '80s.

I think you're being silly now. I'm not sure if they make comics in Outer Mongolia or not, but I'm willing to bet that the unit of currency isn't called the donkey.

I think you're being silly now. I'm not sure if they make comics in Outer Mongolia or not, but I'm willing to bet that the unit of currency isn't called the donkey.

I'M being silly?????? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Talk about a pot and black kettle interface.