• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charity Auction for Veterans' Day...Cap Omnibus to the winner :)

71 posts in this topic

:news: :news: :news:

sweep-the-leg-large.jpg

The leg has indeed been swept in the name of the Vets. We have a generous donation from Cobra Kai :applause: This donation will cover the cost of shipping and any paypal fees, with any remainder to go to the funds being sent to the VFW :o

So, no shipping charge on the book...final bid price will be the amount donated (thumbs u

Thanks for your support!!!

$35

For my father who served in the air force for 20 years to help provide for his family. His tour included back to back tours of Somalia, and was there during black hawk down.

He actually wrote this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Somalia-Diary-William-F-Sims/dp/0966666003

I am not trying to advertise for him, because his book is no longer on amazon anyways, but if you ever find a copy its worth the read!

$35

For my father who served in the air force for 20 years to help provide for his family. His tour included back to back tours of Somalia, and was there during black hawk down.

He actually wrote this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Somalia-Diary-William-F-Sims/dp/0966666003

I am not trying to advertise for him, because his book is no longer on amazon anyways, but if you ever find a copy its worth the read!

Sounds like a great read...bumped your bid down to $31 to keep the rules consistent, greatly appreciate the generosity though and feel free to bid four more times and tell us more about your father if you would like to bring it on up to $35 (thumbs u

Leading bid $31

:gossip: Helps make sure everyone has a chance to bid and say their piece if they so wish :gossip:

$29 to my grandfather who volunteered to serve in the Army Air Corps in WW2 and the only thing that he had to say was that he "flew recon". "I'd fly over, look at some German stuff on the ground and tell them 'yup, it's still there." That's all that he would really say about it. This is the same grandfather who was shot in the back of the neck while flying and survived. To his memory and the memory of all those who served.

$32 for my grandfather on my mother's side, who served as an infantryman in the Austro-Hungarian army in WW1. He was captured in 1915 after a particularly bad defeat by the Russians, sent to Siberia to a POW camp, managed to escape and spent two full years traveling across Asia and Russia until he returned home a few months before the war ended. 2,500+ miles and two years traveled over harsh terrain, in a strange peasant country where he had to learn the language, with minimal transportation infrastructure.

His stop even included a visit in St Petersburg in 1917, where he claimed to hear Lenin speak. Years later, when the Soviets invaded my country after WW2, he would say the style of government (Soviet Communism) they imposed was nothing like what Lenin had proposed. I guess he would know if he was there.

Who knows how much of it is true, but it is a wonderful family story, and if it weren't for the incredible tenacity of that one man, I wouldn't be here today.

$32

To Jack, the former president of my homeowners association, and late world war 2 vet.

Before he passed I was able to interview him about his life for one of my school projects. He still had shrapnel in his leg from world war 2, and earned the distinguished service cross. He met Audie Murphy while serving, and fought alongside him during ww2.

Just great, great stories my friends (dating back to WW I now :o ) Thanks so much! I am off to run some errands, but have really enjoyed celebrating the vets and learning about how they touched all of your lives :applause: Be back later this afternoon (thumbs u

Leading bid is $33 from Gsims718

$37.

To my Great Uncle Johnny, who was killed in action.

His plane was shot down over Holland in 1945, just before the war ended.

He is buried in Flanders Field somewhere...I hope to actually go there someday.

$40 Again for my father who I owe everything to, and gave me the chance to see some amazing places growing up in a military family. Born in the always wonderful North Dakota, moved to Korea, South Dakota, and Japan and finally restingn in Texas.

I never knew my great uncle, George Marshall. As a kid, all I knew was that my Granddad Marshall had a brother who died in World War II--my great Uncle George. I heard some details through the years, but shamefully only carried with me that he died in north Africa in the war. Then, about 9 years ago, author Rick Atkinson (An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943) inscribed a note on a copy of his book to my family that read as follows (Atkinson's accounting of my great uncle's mission and death only took up 10 pages of an over 600-page book, yet he still took the time to personally write):

"To the extended clan of Lt. Col. George F. Marshall, and to friends of the Marshall family: I spent several years trying to discover as completely as possible what happened to Colonel Marshall and his command on the morning of November 8, 1942, in Oran, Algeria. I'm left with a feeling of immense sadness at the loss of so many young men on such an ill-conceived mission, yet a counterbalancing sense of pride and admiration at their valor, their sense of duty, their pluck. We're all the richer for the courage of such men, and I hope this account will illuminate Colonel Marshall's heroism for all who came after him."--Rick Atkinson, Washington, D.C., 20 December 2002.

45.00 it is...

Love the stories... but check the rules:

1. Bids must be made in $1 increments only (so add $1 to the previous bid for all the Math challenged folks). So the bidding will literally start at a dollar, and go up by $1 with each bid...if you want to raise it $5, you gots to put in five posts...but here is the kicker...

and

2. Each post MUST include some sort of thanks to a veteran you know (BTW there are plenty on the boards), short story, embedded video, etc...it is absent (or too lame of an attempt...i.e. you really can do better than a picture of a G.I. Joe VAMP Jeep), then the bid will be invalidated by your friendly OP...namely me, myself, and Chuck

I never knew my great uncle, George Marshall. As a kid, all I knew was that my Granddad Marshall had a brother who died in World War II--my great Uncle George. I heard some details through the years, but shamefully only carried with me that he died in north Africa in the war. Then, about 9 years ago, author Rick Atkinson (An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943) inscribed a note on a copy of his book to my family that read as follows (Atkinson's accounting of my great uncle's mission and death only took up 10 pages of an over 600-page book, yet he still took the time to personally write):

"To the extended clan of Lt. Col. George F. Marshall, and to friends of the Marshall family: I spent several years trying to discover as completely as possible what happened to Colonel Marshall and his command on the morning of November 8, 1942, in Oran, Algeria. I'm left with a feeling of immense sadness at the loss of so many young men on such an ill-conceived mission, yet a counterbalancing sense of pride and admiration at their valor, their sense of duty, their pluck. We're all the richer for the courage of such men, and I hope this account will illuminate Colonel Marshall's heroism for all who came after him."--Rick Atkinson, Washington, D.C., 20 December 2002.

45.00 it is...

Thanks, Miraclemet, for the reminder to read the terms/rules. :doh: I owe four more: thanks goes out to two Gordons I know (a former student and a current student), both of whom served in Iraq. Also, my landlord Lonnie and brother-in-law John who both served in the Army.

I'll roll with $49 for my father and a Vietnam Veteran, USMC, where he served into his second tour of duty before being wounded in a firefight, evac'ed and honorably discharged due to the severity of his wounds. Thanks to him and all other veterans that have paid, and continue to pay, the price of our freedom.

(and I'm giving another holla out to my old friend, Heath, hope all is well buddy - :hi: ).