• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

111 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Comics General

Created on 01/25/02 03:07 PM

Total posts 181133

Avg posts per day 216.92

216.92 average posts per day on this board. Too many? At what point should we attempt to sub-divide topics?

Discuss.

sign-offtopic.gif

What is the difference btwn an OT forum and the Water Cooler?

I personally think movie reviews and the like really belong in an OT forum.

As comic book geeks, we don't care about the opinions of coinees and cardees. Like minds think alike and blah blah blah. An OT forum would be for comic book geeks to discuss OT things.

Well the smiley only reply reduction would help. I confess to being guilty of that. frown.gif

But what ELSE could we do to help organize and streamline? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Say - how about an OT Forum. It would be different from the Water Cooler in a very simple way. Going to the Water Cooler is like going to an organized social function while going to a comics OT thread would be like going to a party at a friend's house.

Comics General

Total posts 181133

Avg posts per day 216.92

216.92 average posts per day on this board. Too many? At what point should we attempt to sub-divide topics?

Discuss.

sign-offtopic.gif

Why change anything? I don't have a problem keeping up with the posts that interest me. This seems like an active, healthy average - stay the course smile.gif

Comics General

Total posts 181133

Avg posts per day 216.92

Discuss.

sign-offtopic.gif

Why change anything? I don't have a problem keeping up with the posts that interest me. This seems like an active, healthy average - stay the course smile.gif

I agree. To have yet another Forum section would marginalize OT threads that may be significant to most posters. Water finds its' own level - if you don't care about the OT, don't read it. As long as Comics General doesn't get swamped with OT stuff (which, for the most part, it hasn't). If it ain't broke......

As long as Comics General doesn't get swamped with OT stuff (which, for the most part, it hasn't). If it ain't broke......

But it already has.

As I said, water finds its own level. There are only a finite amount of threads (despite the diversity of this hobby compared to the others) and so the net has to be spread a bit wider.

And at what point does something become OT? Discussing Van Helsing and gate receipts is still vaguely within Comics General's remit, but the state of Toronto's hockey team isn't.

Having said all that, has there been a poll about this?

OT forum would help!

Is 216.92 a bad number? Quantify....

IMO an OT forum would just get clogged up too, we would just be moving messages from one folder into another ...confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe more focussed topics--all other OT stuff goes to (dare I say) the water cooler? Actually now that I'm thinking (dangerous I know) the General section is doing its function - general topics of various interests close to comic collecting. If you can ascertain common threads that could justify a separate folder, go for it...

And at what point does something become OT? Discussing Van Helsing and gate receipts is still vaguely within Comics General's remit, but the state of Toronto's hockey team isn't.

Do you remember this place before the Permanent Collecting Polls and Facts was introduced? Or Comic Book Grading and Restoration? Both of those were added to the Forums some time ago. Some folk weren't keen and others were. But folks soon learned how to use them and the topics found their own level.

And there is a key part of this idea that you and a couple of others seem to be missing. An OT topic is not, at least for me, so much a topic to clean up the boards. It is more a Water Cooler for the Comic Folk who have gotten to know or are starting to get to know each other. The main WC is just not the place for that to really work.

In terms of the communal aspect of the comic collecting, err, community, having a WC exclusively for us may work - although I've always felt that Comics General should remain the focal point of the CGC Forum. I like having all the major issue or hot threads in one place - not that this always happens, of course.

Another caveat would be that such a Forum, with its' non - specific remit, would attract more rogue elements than usual, and even some dissident coinees and cardees who've become disenchanted with the overwhelming misanthropy that pervades the Water Cooler (apart from Khaos, of course, who's never imbalanced on the WC tongue.gif).