• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Great Comic Book Market Extinction

74 posts in this topic

I would probably not take my books with me aboard the Ark, were I lucky enough to get a ride on one

I'd take the best copy of Silver Surfer 4 I could get my hands on.

I'd start collecting posters. meh

thorm.jpg

hm How much?

:bump: Worth another look. I think you scared some people, Joseph. Too scared to reply. :fear:

There's so many ways to approach this hypothetical scenario.

I do want to mention that the one thing I have noticed during the time I've been a member here, is that the boards have matured in so far as recognizing that this is something that will very likely take place.

It seemed that in the past, whenever threads like this were started, it was ranked as an "unspeakable" topic that almost always ended in a flaming session involving JC, and Gene, who would somehow manage to chime-in with a less antagonistic reasoning to settle things down.

I don't doubt that comics will inevitably lose their hard value across all categories.

Nevertheless, their sentimental value can avoid being debased if a large enough base of collectors could overcome and look past the trauma associated to the sweat and financial equity they poured into collecting.

The emotional, nostalgic and curating elements will eventually translate just as strongly as any hard value, when such an event gives rebirth to a more active trade/bartering of comics.

I would probably not take my books with me aboard the Ark, were I lucky enough to get a ride on one

I'd take the best copy of Silver Surfer 4 I could get my hands on.

I'd start collecting posters. meh

thorm.jpg

hm How much?

Do you think it's for sale? hm hm hm

It can't be pressed, slabbed, gpa'd, or overstreeted you know. :o

Does telling my "buddy" Mr. "Overstreet" to "Run, Buddy, Run!" or

"RRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNN" mean much if anything.

Or am I being to literal? Too meta, perhaps?

3633328787_63f3c5ca2e.jpg

BLASTEDHEATH :banana:

Hundreds of years from now, attrition via theft, fire and flood, as well as comics mistakenly or deliberately thrown out as refuse, will have made comics scarcer, jacking up prices even further.

And in a paperless society, comics will be fascinating artifacts from the past that, once investigated by new eyes, ("If I haven't seen it it it's new to me." Barbara Stanwyck on black & white films that young people don't like due to the lack of colorization. (Thx, anyway, Ted Turner.) may prove to be of some, however little, interest so that the art endures, at least.

I would construct a burial tomb, and take them with me on my eternal journey.

lol good luck with that (thumbs u

Me? How does this sound?

1000 long boxes of drek, 1/2 ton of white foam core, hot gun = huge and forbidding temple/funeral pyre w/dead me horizontal on top.

Ignite conflagration. Seen for miles reflecting off of low-flying clouds in the Friday night sky.

Runs all over international TV all weekend. Internet meme immortality? We'll see. I won't, though. I'll be dead. Remember?

I would keep my collection and continue to collect what I currently like...

Of course that would still be hard to do because I'm sure some others would feel the same way as I.

Great.

Now we've just restored 'value'... :doh:

:applause:

Mine have always been valued at zero. My mother years ago would give me a dime when she sent me to buy her magazine-she gave me the gift of reading when she died. I still read but most of all enjoy the covers for their art. Some I would like to sell but it is hard to part. So I am content at "67" to pass away and hope someone else enjoys them

Mine have always been valued at zero. My mother years ago would give me a dime when she sent me to buy her magazine-she gave me the gift of reading when she died. I still read but most of all enjoy the covers for their art. Some I would like to sell but it is hard to part. So I am content at "67" to pass away and hope someone else enjoys them

Great first post! :applause:

I'm just looking now for nice copies of the books that mean the most to me, slabs for those of primary significance, raws for the others.  I see this as being my last collection, which I'll keep and enjoy for the rest of my life, regardless of how the market develops.

Nice post. (thumbs u

Welcome to the Boards!!! :)

I'm just looking now for nice copies of the books that mean the most to me, slabs for those of primary significance, raws for the others.  I see this as being my last collection, which I'll keep and enjoy for the rest of my life, regardless of how the market develops.

(thumbs u A picture of contentedness