• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Elm or an "OAK"

5 posts in this topic

I tried and thankfully I didn't prevail....this time

I had a bid out for $530 on one item. At the time I placed the bid I was financially able to afford it. The bid was placed ten days ago and then about seven my funds began to dry up. Four days ago I started to worry. Yesterday I re-budgeted trying to figure out a new way to pay for what I would eventually win. Although I really wanted the item in question I feared struggling over the next month just to pay it off, and it wasn't even a comic book.

My car is rather old. In fact next year I think I can get "classic car" tags for her. I was sitting inside waiting for her to warm up and decided to check my e-mail and sure enough this morning I got an e-mail telling me I was outbid on the item. I was disappointed. I really wanted that item. Of course in the back of my head is crying "Hey insufficiently_thoughtful_person...you were saved."

Have you ever bid on anything you truly wanted but couldn't afford. O maybe bid on items beyond your means because it just had to be your. BagoFleas has written about two things on here that I take to heart. One is patience, and when it comes to patience on a comic book I agree. But what if it is a "OAK" (I hope he won't mind me stealing his term.) What if it cannot be duplicated? What if it isn't a comic book?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

9791.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I love one-of-a-kind things and rarities, and I've lost out on things I thought I needed to have - but somehow, the sun managed to rise the next day and I was able to move on.

If a person loses sleep over a material thing that they cannot have - perhaps a re-evaluation of their life is in order. And I'm not trying to sound preachy - just an observation. I am a materialistic person just as much as the next guy - but I also understand personal priorities. There are so many more important things in this world than what we can buy off Ebay.

I agree with all of this. There are many things I want and my means have certainly increased to the point where I could afford more than I buy.

But also as you get older your responsibilities and duties increase as well. Today its the car, tomorrow its the mortgage, your child, your child's education, your retirement, etc. Also, you have to deal with your wife. I guess the fine line we all walk is balancing our collecting desires with our responsibilities.

Very well said guys. That is a beautiful piece Lee, but you should be happy with the bid you placed. If someone else was willing to pay more then let it go and it put it behind you. There will be opportunities in the future for other "OAK" items, trust me. Right now you do what you gotta do and get that new car my friend.

sig.jpg

I didn't think I made myself that desperate to need such a materialistic item. Although I think I still have a few hours to bid on this item i know that I cannot. I have a small slew of funds but I have been through financial crisis before that I would rather continue to store that money away than put myself back into a financial crisis. Most things That I buy are worth it to me. I won't spend more on a book than I think it is worth. I still want a Daredevil #168 in a 9.8 white pages but I won't spend more than what I want to spend. Same on that pesky New Mutants #17. Would the above picture look great on my wall, Yup. Do I need it on my wall? Nope, and I am OK with that.

Tnerb