• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New members. Please read.

106 posts in this topic

As a newbie on here, I will say thanks for the advice. I have had a blast getting into this hobby after being away for fifteen years, and my purchasing power is much greater than when I was in my teens, which has allowed me to get some books that I love, but may have pushed my collecting limits from time to time.

Having a forum like this is great as I can hear good advice from people with the same passion.

Welcome to the forum. (thumbs u

At the risk of losing more members I would like to help clarify a few things.

1. Comics are expensive. Spend your money wisely.

2. Cracking books for a PQ bump or grade bump. - Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not. It is a risk with some reward (some times). This is a gamble, and may not always yield the results you desired.. That is why they call it gambling.

3. Pressing- Not every book is going to upgrade. While I know many of you get excited at the prospects of millions of dollars in upgrades, things CAN go wrong. CGC may have an accident, the presser may have an accident, the book may have been overgraded before, etc.. We all want to think the world is perfect, it is not.

4. Flipping- sometimes you can buy cheap, and sell high. Sometimes you can get stuck with a book on a downtreand and you didnt sell in time. It's a gamble.

5. Buy the book not the label. Forum BS that needs to be called as such. If you want a 9.x, buy that grade. Do not buy books in hopes they can upgrade and then be upset because they could not. CGC grades alot of books, they know what they are doing for the most part.

6. Do not collect past your means. - We all know there are some heavy hitters here, but it's not a competition. If you want to compete, money wins. And there are players here who do not have to consider if they can afford a big book. Do not mortgage your soul for comics. Seriously.

7. Enjoy the hobby for what it is. The "hunt" is fun.. But if you get the book and toss it aside, you may want to evaluate. All you are doing is buying really expansive "things" that hold little value.

8. Ethics/ Morals. Few and far between when money and comics are involved. Tread very very lightly.

9. Auctions and shilling of such. Search threads here, they are priceless and can save you alot of money.

10. Please enjoy the hobby. It can be alot of fun, and there are some great people here with alot of knowledge to share!

This thread should be stickied. (thumbs u

I have read this entire thread while in the nude & have been lovin' it!

What are the mechanics of "lovin' a thread"? I mean you are already nude. That's gotta be steps 1 through 7....the rest of it I am a little hazy on.

This is actually very good advice. No doubt this thread will now spiral into the usual silliness and flaming, but many here, new and old could do far worse than following your ten commandments.

You are the resurrection after all! :angel:

:gossip:

yeah I am waiting for someone to post a picture of the obligatory hot chick celebrity from

the 1990s that they lust for. ;)

2. Cracking books for a PQ bump or grade bump. - Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not. It is a risk with some reward (some times). This is a gamble, and may not always yield the results you desired.. That is why they call it gambling.

3. Pressing- Not every book is going to upgrade. While I know many of you get excited at the prospects of millions of dollars in upgrades, things CAN go wrong. CGC may have an accident, the presser may have an accident, the book may have been overgraded before, etc.. We all want to think the world is perfect, it is not.

4. Flipping- sometimes you can buy cheap, and sell high. Sometimes you can get stuck with a book on a downtreand and you didnt sell in time. It's a gamble.

5. Buy the book not the label. Forum BS that needs to be called as such. If you want a 9.x, buy that grade. Do not buy books in hopes they can upgrade and then be upset because they could not. CGC grades alot of books, they know what they are doing for the most part.

6. Do not collect past your means. - We all know there are some heavy hitters here, but it's not a competition. If you want to compete, money wins. And there are players here who do not have to consider if they can afford a big book. Do not mortgage your soul for comics. Seriously.

7. Enjoy the hobby for what it is. The "hunt" is fun.. But if you get the book and toss it aside, you may want to evaluate. All you are doing is buying really expansive "things" that hold little value.

8. Ethics/ Morals. Few and far between when money and comics are involved. Tread very very lightly.

9. Auctions and shilling of such. Search threads here, they are priceless and can save you alot of money.

10. Please enjoy the hobby. It can be alot of fun, and there are some great people here with alot of knowledge to share!

Never happen :pullhair:

Never happen :pullhair:

If the waffling flame style postings continue indefinitely, it could be de facto stickied. :idea:

This is actually very good advice. No doubt this thread will now spiral into the usual silliness and flaming, but many here, new and old could do far worse than following your ten commandments.

yeah I am waiting for someone to post a picture of the obligatory hot chick celebrity from

How about the 80's? :banana:

phoebe-cates-fast-times.jpg

How about the 80's? :banana:

phoebe-cates-fast-times.jpg

Love the eighties!

How about the 70's? :banana:

Heather-Thomas.jpg

Know the toe. :hi:

And yes, that poster was on my wall.

But it came out in the '80s, so your post is LOSE no matter how much WIN it contains.

I know it's not the done thing to quote your own post, but it seems my powers of prediction are strong today (: