• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Email Spamming

23 posts in this topic

Somehow, my Hotmail account has been hacked and there are spam messages being sent out from it. I'm not entirely sure who all got them or what was on them, but I looked and I can see that Doug Schmell was on the list, as well as some of CGC's staff members. If you received one of these emails, I am truly sorry and I am working to get these stopped.

Thanks,

Liam

Somehow, my Hotmail account has been hacked and there are spam messages being sent out from it. I'm not entirely sure who all got them or what was on them, but I looked and I can see that Doug Schmell was on the list, as well as some of CGC's staff members. If you received one of these emails, I am truly sorry and I am working to get these stopped.

Thanks,

Liam

Damn it and I just ordered a truckload of those pills you were selling doh!

Thanks,

Liam

Damn it and I just ordered a truckload of those pills you were selling doh!

Oh no, those were legit... :gossip:

So, you don't want to marry me?

No promises :whistle:

I haven't seen a picture of you yet.

I was always told not to send pictures to people who ask for them online. rantrant

AA meetings do give out great advice.

I was always told not to send pictures to people who ask for them online. rantrant

Especially to cougars in the water cooler :whistle:

Two things to check. First is if there is a setting on your hotmail account which is automatically adding people to your contact list whenever your send a message. If so, turn that feature off immediately.

Second, you will likely need to clear your contacts until this situation gets sorted.

Long and short of it all, virus/malware has/is accessing the contact list and sending emails remotely. The easiest way to confirm this is if any of the "spam" messages show up in your sent emails. If they don't, then the spambots have already accessed the contact list and are sending the messages from an external server.

A couple of quick tips. If you don't have anti-virus or anti-malware installed, and I mean something covering the full spectrum of Internet protection, I would get something installed quickly. Norton and McAfee are two of the vendors offering protection in this area, but there are some others which are good as well. If you've got something already installed, it might be a matter of updating your subscription or virus definitions, or a full-on purchase of something capable of offering "total" protection.

Secondly, use a different browser like Firefox or Google Chrome for the time being - basically switch from whatever browser you were using to a different browser. This doesn't guarantee the virus can't spread to the new browser, but if you have anti-virus activated, it should not only quarantine any baddies from further wrecking havoc on your machine but also protect the machine from the further spread to other browser installations.

Finally, and most importantly, don't keep your email session open on your taskbar. Once you're finished with using your email, exit the session. The most obvious and important is to be careful and use discretion about opening emails with attachments as this is one of the many ways these viruses are known to attack people's computer.

AA meetings do give out great advice.

I'm not even legal drinking age. :shy:

You have so much ahead of you :insane:

Especially to cougars in the water cooler :whistle:

Do tell.