• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Famous Monsters of Filmland
2 2

216 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2023 at 5:56 PM, soundstage28 said:

Just curious...sent and waiting back from CGC grading on a # 7 and others, do you think CGC graders know about this "Lucky 7" variant? First I've heard of it and now that I'm going to get back a sealed item,,, I'll never know. lol

I have no idea what CGC graders know or how diligent they may or may not be in checking things like this, but as a new Warren collector as of last year, I would say this variant isn't all THAT esoteric.  I saw several references to it when researching Warren publications--and I wasn't even particularly interested in the Famous Monsters of Filmland title.  Other than the 1961 Convention Program, though, the Lucky 7 variant is probably the rarest FMOF out there.

So I would probably EXPECT them to be aware of it--but in practice, who knows...

On 5/26/2023 at 4:30 PM, Ron C. said:

Still Famous Monsters, but not of Filmland.

Famous Monsters SW Spectacular 94 Bulloch.jpg

Famous Monsters SW Spectacular nn .jpg

What a great mag! I bought my copy right off the rack when it came out. Star Wars was the first movie I ever went to see more than once. When this came out that headline about it being the most fantastic adventure movie was really true! Plus you gotta love that orange and yellow border. It just screams 70’s! Congrats!

On 6/1/2023 at 7:15 AM, Mark Sielski said:

Hey all,

I rarely post but I am an avid reader of all your comic magazine posts.  Special shout out to famousmonstersforryever!  He sometimes posts as Elroy Jetson.  New to CGC, he did me a absolutely huge favor in reuniting me with my FM #221 Subscription Variant.  I inadvertently had "sold it" a few years back thinking it was a duplicate:)  What were my chances of finding a 9.8 copy again.  This one made it thru the mail postal system, aka subscriber copy, and survived as a 9.8! I saw it posted in CGC Registry sets, reached out to him, and we did a fair exchange.  He's got a website, sometimes selling mid range copies of FM.  I know a lot of you prefer the comics, but without Famous Monsters, there would be  no Creepy and Eerie.  Without Creepy and Eerie, there would be no Vampirella.  Without the Warren mags, Skywald would have never emerged.  Without Famous Monsters, the B&W comic mag market would never existed for Marvel to explore.  See, we owe it all to Famous Monsters of Filmland!  So visit the famousmonstersforryever website and browse the classics.  One last hurrah with this #221 Subsrciption Variant, it finally pushed me over the long elusive 300,000 registry point level for Famous Monsters of Filmland.  These boards are great!

Here's the website:

Famous Monsters Forryever
Where we are "dying to keep the memory of Famous Monsters of Filmland alive!"

http://www.famousmonstersforryever.com

Great story!  You don't post much, and I don't collect much, but as I have gotten into collecting the Warrens over the past year, I have enjoyed browsing your high-end collections, so you're a little bit of a hero to me (and I was giddy when you posted in my Warren Magazine Reading Club one time)!

I for one am glad to hear that you follow the Comic Magazine forum posts, and I would love to hear from you more often!

On 6/10/2023 at 9:42 PM, Ameri said:

I still have most of these. 1-36 and 6 annuals. I stopped at 36 because I remember that 36 and later seemed plentiful as back issues for years and years in Warren ads. Under 36 were the rarest. I love the issues after 36 but the 36 was as good a stopping point as any to keep the collection manageable.   

MAGAZINE horror warren Famous Monsters collage camera.jpg

Your favorite monster mags ☺️

On 6/11/2023 at 12:42 AM, Ameri said:

I still have most of these. 1-36 and 6 annuals. I stopped at 36 because I remember that 36 and later seemed plentiful as back issues for years and years in Warren ads. Under 36 were the rarest. I love the issues after 36 but the 36 was as good a stopping point as any to keep the collection manageable.   

MAGAZINE horror warren Famous Monsters collage camera.jpg

Nice display👍

On 4/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, soundstage28 said:

Just curious...sent and waiting back from CGC grading on a # 7 and others, do you think CGC graders know about this "Lucky 7" variant? First I've heard of it and now that I'm going to get back a sealed item,,, I'll never know. lol

I know there's at least one CGC grader who knows about it. But to be perfectly honest, I've never actually seen a "Lucky 7" copy, and I can't find any listed on the census, either...  (shrug)