• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impact #1 (White Logo) /Valor #2 (Charlton Interior)

7 posts in this topic

I recently discovered that my copy of Impact #1 has a different color title to the one more commonly seen. The Bill Gaines file copies all had a yellow title. Mine has a white title. An ebay auction stated that the white title version is the first printing which was done by Charlton. Does anyone have more info on this?

Impact #1 (White Text Title)

001_Impact_White_Logo.png

Also, I own an oddity which I first assumed was an EC cover "married" (or added later) to a coverless issue of Law Breakers (Charlton) by a retailer. Now I'm wondering if this is an actual error comic that Charlton had published for EC.

Valor #2 cover (EC)/ Law Breakers interior (Charlton!)

Error_002_Valor_Lawbreakers_Interio.png

Are there any EC comics experts that know anything about Charlton possibly doing the printing for EC? Are there any online resources to read more about this?

dg

The Impact 1 looks cool! I haven't noticed a white logo before.

With regards to Charlton printing EC I don't think that happened. I've seen uncut cover sheets that included EC and DC comics and the quality of Charlton was so poor there's no way they could have produced such subtle and consistent coloring of ECs from that time period.

The eBay ad stated that Gaines was so upset about the printing quality of impact #1 that he ordered the 1st printing destroyed and went back to his normal printer for the second printing. Charlton could have already printed the covers to Valor #2 at that point.

dg

That was probably my eBay listing.

I have never heard about the Valor, but anything is possible. The info on the Charlton Impact #1 is in Grant Geissman's "Collectably Mad". I have had multiple copies of both versions and there is a noticeable difference in the quality of the printing, and the former definitely has that Charlton look and feel. I have corresponded with Grant, a notable EC expert, and this is what he said about it.

"Probably the first I knew about the IMPACT #1 first printing was from a listing in the Overstreet Price Guide.

There was some further mention of it in the report by Overstreet and Cochran about opening the Gaines File Copy packages for sale, around 1990 or so. This report has it a bit wrong, because it concluded that the one copy of the Charlton printing found in Gaines's files was the only copy extant, which of course is not correct.

Jerry Weist and Roger Hill were the first people to discover the IMPACT #1 first printing, which they brought in and showed to Gaines some time in the late 1960s. Gaines then related to them the story that you see in COLLECTIBLY MAD. Probably the original listing of it in the Overstreet Price Guide came from Weist and Hill."

Thanks! I believe that I bought these from the same dealer at different times. He'd been a collector through the 70's and had a scattering of Golden age through his stock. I'm now curious as to how common or uncommon it truly is. I know this was a tumultuous time for publishers with some collapsing and others trying to survive. I'm wondering if there would have been a financial advantage for Charlton to try and pass off pre-code interiors within a cover stating it had code approval. I have a moderate amount of skill at spotting restoration. The application of the cover on the Valor #2 appears to be very well done, but it is horribly miscut around the edges. I bought it more as a novelty... a throw away purchase to appease my curiosity. My curiosity is only heightened now. I've been trying to spot any possible color variations. The Charlton printing of Impact #1 appears to have a different color shade on the left side of the book also. If I recall, it's a more purple look.

dg

I recently discovered that my copy of Impact #1 has a different color title to the one more commonly seen. The Bill Gaines file copies all had a yellow title. Mine has a white title. An ebay auction stated that the white title version is the first printing which was done by Charlton. Does anyone have more info on this?

Impact #1 (White Text Title)

001_Impact_White_Logo.png

Also, I own an oddity which I first assumed was an EC cover "married" (or added later) to a coverless issue of Law Breakers (Charlton) by a retailer. Now I'm wondering if this is an actual error comic that Charlton had published for EC.

Valor #2 cover (EC)/ Law Breakers interior (Charlton!)

Error_002_Valor_Lawbreakers_Interio.png

Are there any EC comics experts that know anything about Charlton possibly doing the printing for EC? Are there any online resources to read more about this?

dg

You might want to contact Grant Geissman about this, he's the #1 living expert on EC. It is very possible that Charlton did print that Valor 2 with the wrong interior, rather than it being a married book.

http://grantgeissman.com/index.html