• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bleeding Cool's shot at HG CGC collectors?

44 posts in this topic

After reading that article, I am most surprised that the writer actually admitted that he was "Wizard as price guide/Market Watch editor and occasional feature writer".

The guy fumbles his point so many times, I heard William Shatner's voice in my head replaying the famous line from Khan: "Like a poor marksman, you keep...missing...the...target..."

Why am I a fool for buying a 10.0? Give me numbers on how many are in the registry. Give me cogent arguments in like industries where extreme condition is not rewarded or viewed as more valuable. Good gawd, the guy just vents about his personal feelings and rambles on about how something can't possible be perfect if it's graded a 10.0 because he just thinks that isn't how it can be.

I don't collect 10.0 comics, but I understand why they are around, why people buy them and why they command higher prices, and why it's a gamble to buy one - neither topics of which are covered in his gibbering, rambling article.

If you cracked and resubbed a 10.0, would it come back 10.0 the second time around?

Not sure where this misunderstanding comes from, but CGC has neither added nor subtracted any grades since they opened in 2000. The only new grade they made "on the side" was the Wizard Fist 9.5, and that was a spectacular failure.

Hey, I wonder if we're related!

Anyone else see Bleeding Cools OpEd piece (Im not gonna call it an article since its definately an opinion).

You can read it here.

Basically deriding people for buying and or selling the 9.9 and 10.0 super high grade moderns that are on the market or on ebay...

Now I'm not the market for the super high grade comics (Im more of a 9.4-9.6 guy myself, in the pretty but not pricey zone), but if there are buyers out there, you cant fault someone for selling.

It does sound like the author may have read this message board though since he does paraphrase the "buy the book not the grade" mantra that gets passed around here.

The author says he's not criticizing CGC (but instead the HG buyers & sellers) but you can read between the lines since CGC recently added the 9.9 grade (at least thats my understanding being relatively new here) and he does criticize that grade chase...

Thoughts?

9.9 has been around since I've been here (2003-second year).