• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why new comics SUCK

69 posts in this topic

As much as I enjoyed the 1st three issues.....I thought JLA/AVENGERS # 4 was pretty terrible.

WAS HE TALKING TO YOU?!?!?!

mad.gif

I'm sorry. The number you have reached is not in service. Please hang-up and try your call again...this is a recording....

What examples can you share of new comics that suck? Actual titles would be helpful.

In response I could offer a list of titles that make me think comics now are better than they've ever been.

Ultimate anything.

And hell, all the X-Men titles... when was the last time any of them were any good? Granted, they don't fit the "form" he was talking about... but man, they are Dullsville.

(Except for Exiles, which continues to be one of the more entertaining books on the shelves after 40+ issues.) thumbsup2.gif

I don't need someone who I know reads new comics to tell me what new comics suck. I could come up with examples myself. I was just trying to figure out whether or not this person actually reads new comics. On more than one occasion I've heard "new comics suck" then asked, "what have you read?" and gotten "nothing" or "one Ultimate Spider-Man trade" or something equally shallow as a reply.

All apologies, your highness!

I didn't see the velvet rope separating this conversation from every other thread on the board where ANYONE can join in.

Join in all you want. I was just explaining the purpose of the question I directed specifically at the original poster. I was asking one specific person a question and another person answered. I felt like some explanation was in order. confused-smiley-013.gif

Would it help if I said: " tongue.gif "?

I won't join in because I'm still ignoring your posts. makepoint.gif

What really chaps me is the glacial pace of the story telling. I now know how Bendis can write so many titles a month. He just writes stories at the same pace that Miller, Byrne and Claremont used to -- he just takes 10 issues to tell the a story that used to be done-in-one/two.

I've mentioned the same thing before, and current storytelling has turned into a "write one issue, have the artist turn it into a TPB" format.

The ability to squeeze as much action and characterization into a single issue used to be the hallmark of great writing, but now it seems that stretching and watering-down the story is where the money is.

I can't imagine actually plunking down the bucks each month for Ultimate Spider-man. Half of the book is soulfull glance after soulfull glance. foreheadslap.gif

You clearly haven't been reading the latest arc of USM. I like the book, personally. While I think the series got a little bogged down for a short while, it's been going at a decent pace since issue 50 or so.

Having said that, I still miss the feel of Spidey from Roger Stern's run in the 80s. Those are the benchmark for "modern" Spidey stories as far as I'm concerned. Even the issue where all the people daydream (ish 246) was a classic. Stern did an amazing job of telling a full story in one issue, or perhaps no more than three issues. ASM #249-251 is another classic, and there's enough story in those to fill eight issues of USM at USM's pace. But my recollection is that there weren't many stories even back then that were as good as that three story arc.

The ability to squeeze as much action and characterization into a single issue used to be the hallmark of great writing, but now it seems that stretching and watering-down the story is where the money is.

Spot on ! thumbsup2.gif Have you read Thor under Jurgens ? Issues #3 to #11 trod water so much it was just embarrassing, like Thor vs a D.J. ???confused-smiley-013.gif All to lead the reader to the Deluxe multiple cover, over-priced cr*pfest that was Issue #12 893whatthe.gif

Up until the last couple of issues the action seemed to have stopped altogether for several years while the King Thor saga drags endlessly on... tonofbricks.gif

What happened to actual battles ? That's what I used to buy comics for as a kid, and what I still enjoy. This was said elsewhere recently, but maybe if they stopped playing up to the "mature" readers, and created some tightly written action-based books that kids enjoy, this hobby might have a future for a few more generations. sign-rantpost.gif

The current issue has some battles, but I agree that this King Thor thing has gone on way too long. It is killing me. Thor: Son of Asgard, on the other hand, is a lot more fun.

Daredevil. Oh my, a Bendis book, I'm in for it now. I don't even read USM, so I don't know what everyone's complaint is there.... This book on the other hand, officially kicks [!@#%^&^]. Just read it from issue #26 on. This is a classic run comparable to any run on the title ever... Gritty in a non-gratuitous way, funny, occasionally action-packed and almost constantly surprising, this is a book I'm always excited to read. DD is even in costume as of the last issue!

Agreed 100%. Bendis is doing a job on Daredevil that hasn't been done since Miller's last run on the title. It is AMAZING. The artwork fits the character like a glove as well. Maleev reminds me of a cross between Mazzuchelli and Jae Lee. I loved the superhero intervention they had a few issues back and the Yakuza storyline has me salivating for each new issue. thumbsup2.gif

As much as I enjoyed the 1st three issues.....I thought JLA/AVENGERS # 4 was pretty terrible.

I have to say that JLA/Avengers was the worst miniseries I have read since I read it the first time when it was Contest of Champions.

Books that kick arse:

Daredevil

Wanted

100 Bullets

Y: The Last Man

Fables

Planetary

Swamp Thing

Anything related to 30 Days of Night

Ultimate Spider-Man

Ultimate Fantastic Four (this book will rock w/ Ellis writing)

I'm a fanboy. tongue.gif

Daredevil. Oh my, a Bendis book, I'm in for it now. I don't even read USM, so I don't know what everyone's complaint is there.... This book on the other hand, officially kicks [!@#%^&^]. Just read it from issue #26 on. This is a classic run comparable to any run on the title ever... Gritty in a non-gratuitous way, funny, occasionally action-packed and almost constantly surprising, this is a book I'm always excited to read. DD is even in costume as of the last issue!

Agreed 100%. Bendis is doing a job on Daredevil that hasn't been done since Miller's last run on the title. It is AMAZING. The artwork fits the character like a glove as well. Maleev reminds me of a cross between Mazzuchelli and Jae Lee. I loved the superhero intervention they had a few issues back and the Yakuza storyline has me salivating for each new issue. thumbsup2.gif

I wonder if Bendis' work will ever qualify as a comparable collecting arc to the Miller 158- run. It certainly deserves to.

Oh yeah--and if anyone thinks new comics suck, you oughtta pick up a opy of Jim Mahfood's book "Bad Ideas" when it comes out soon. A great spoof of stupid comic ideas that were actually pitched to him by fans at conventions.

The thumps up are the books I'm getting with Ultimate FF and regular FF, too.

I bought Identity Crisis - it looks good - anyone agree?

I'll wait around and just toss out excellent current series until I get one specific example that sucks.

Good idea Rob. Here's a list of books that I am enjoying consistantly of late (an abbreviated version of my actual pull file which has a lot of hit or miss titles):

MARVEL:

Marvel Knights Spider-Man

Marvel Knights 4 thumbsup2.gif

She-Hulk

Daredevil

The Pulse

Supreme Power

Ultimate Spider-Man

Ultimate X-Men

Ultimates

DC

Green Arrow

JSA

Teen Titans thumbsup2.gif

New Frontier

Superman/Batman thumbsup2.gif

Planetary

Y the Last Man

Fables (in tpbs)

Other:

Conan (Dark Horse)

Kev

The thumps up are the books I'm getting with Ultimate FF and regular FF, too.

I'm enjoying Ultimate FF, but part of me is just waiting for Ellis at this point.

Regular FF... where's Donut to bang the drum for that book? Great stuff.

I know some people didn't like the end to FF 511, but I really liked it. It paid a homage to one of the alltime greats.

Frightful Four are coming back (I read in Previews). I liked them the best when they had Electro (FF 218).

JLA/Avengers was pretty lame but issue #4 had the best cover. Nice enough to keep around for a while. As a Marvel Zoombie I felt that series was a little too pro-DC for me. Maybe they arrangement is that they will favour Marvel more the next go around? Judging from the general response of this venture I doubt that will be any time soon.

As a Marvel Zoombie I felt that series was a little too pro-DC for me.

Explain?

I kind of see what he is saying,....the whole plot was very crisis on earth "fill in the blank" JLA/JSA annual summer team up,.....

Explain?

Meaning the Marvel characters didn't beat enough DC a s s.

I agree, by the way. The only way that series could have been enjoyable to me is if it had been four double-sized issues of Marvel characters beating the holy hell out of DC characters (as God intended). It still would have needed a lame, contrived story like the actual book had, but I wouldn't have cared as much.

What examples can you share of new comics that suck? Actual titles would be helpful.

In response I could offer a list of titles that make me think comics now are better than they've ever been.

Ultimate anything.

And hell, all the X-Men titles... when was the last time any of them were any good? Granted, they don't fit the "form" he was talking about... but man, they are Dullsville.

(Except for Exiles, which continues to be one of the more entertaining books on the shelves after 40+ issues.) thumbsup2.gif

I don't need someone who I know reads new comics to tell me what new comics suck. I could come up with examples myself. I was just trying to figure out whether or not this person actually reads new comics. On more than one occasion I've heard "new comics suck" then asked, "what have you read?" and gotten "nothing" or "one Ultimate Spider-Man trade" or something equally shallow as a reply.

All apologies, your highness!

I didn't see the velvet rope separating this conversation from every other thread on the board where ANYONE can join in.

Join in all you want. I was just explaining the purpose of the question I directed specifically at the original poster. I was asking one specific person a question and another person answered. I felt like some explanation was in order. confused-smiley-013.gif

Would it help if I said: " tongue.gif "?

I won't join in because I'm still ignoring your posts. makepoint.gif

flowerred.gif

Explain?

I kind of see what he is saying,....the whole plot was very crisis on earth "fill in the blank" JLA/JSA annual summer team up,.....

That's true. But being a Marvel Zombie how could he know such a thing? That's along the lines of why I was asking. To me, it felt like a DC book with Marvel characters in it. Basically based on the prevalence of those sort of stories in the DCU. Someone not reading any of those very typical DCU stories and coming to the same conclusion is interesting in a parallel evolution sort of way.