• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who gets the credit?

6 posts in this topic

Wanted to get some opinions from OA collectors on this situation.

I have some pages that I got directly from "Artist A" He did the inking on the pages as a "ghost inker." So, if you look in the published book all inking credits are to "Artist B"

So, as far as everyone knows, Artist B is the inker.

Now, when I list the pages FOR SALE, are they listed under Artist A or Artist B?

If I list them under Artist A that conflicts with the published book and the matter of if these are the published pages or not comes up.

If I list them under Artist B, well, since I know, that's just blatant misrepresentation(did I just answer my own question?) And once the pages leave my hands, what then?

Thoughts?

I'd get the actual inker to autograph the page and then maybe either on the backside of the art, or a separate document, have them notate the fact that they worked on the book.

It's not uncommon, so won't seem like something unrealistic or unbelievable.. If you look at a lot of the Top Cow books, you'll see a roster of inkers credited as well as "assistants" who work on the backgrounds.

Even in the 1970's Neal Adams and D. Giordano had the "Crusty Bunkers" and a lot of art was credited to that studio in the publications without mentioning specific names. Neal Adams himself was a member, as was Terry Austin.

Studios exist today, most prevelantly in Brazil, where Ed Benes used to work for the Mike Deodoto Jr studios, and now Ed has his own studio with his relatives Fred, Mariah, and a bunch of others.

I think there was even some talk of Pat Lee having a studio where he had artists render work for which his name was credited.

As for the marketability of your piece, I'm sure it really doesn't matter much on who the inker is, as most collectors buy based on the penciler, so you probably don't even need to disclose the inker if you're not comfortable with that.

Inkers are very important to the art process and they embellish the aesthetics, but rarely do much for the art value unless that inker is a known penciler (Wally Wood, Neal Adams, Bob Layton, etc.) or if it's part of a tandem like Miller/Janson; Lee/Williams; Byrne/Austin; Perez/Tanghal; Kirby/Sinnott; etc. that is a somewhat legendary team.

Thanks for the input. (thumbs u I think I will either have the pages signed or stamp the back with "Inked By Artist A"

And although the artistic team isn't "legendary" I still think it is my duty to get the correct information out there if I have it. If you buy a page credited to "Inky boy studios" you get what you get. If you buy a page credited to Artist B, you should have the proper info.

This probably isn't your situation, but this is one I got myself into.

I bought a page from an inker (not a name at all but has some published work), he said he was ghosting it (and he wasn't credited). Something wasn't quite right so I managed to find the credited inker. The credited inker was shocked, because he does not employ ghosts. In fact, he is usually on top of his work and he sometimes ghosts for other inkers.

It turns out that the credited inker taught a class where the "ghost" was a student. The page I bought was actually a sample that he tried to sell as a published page later.

Fortunately I got my money back (less shipping costs). I have to thank the credited inker for "chatting" with the "ghost".

Malvin

Thanks for the info, Malvin.

No, "Artist A" is a published inker and has many credits under his belt. It was just a matter of him helping a friend meet a deadline. Just looking for a way to handle the inevitable email of "Artist A didn't work on this book. It says right here Artist B was the inker." I think putting the actual inker's name on the back of the art is the best route to take. So,after the age passes through several hands the info isn't lost.