• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do...?

33 posts in this topic

Bidder approaches you to make an off-eBay offer on one of your books.

Book is listed as an auction, with starting bid *about* FMV.

Bidder places a bid on that item, which matches the start bid.

You respond that you'd be happy to do a BIN (so that it's through eBay), and what was the offer?

Unlike the Amazing Fantasy #15, where the buyer offered much HIGHER than the current bid, to secure the item, buyer RETRACTS his bid, and tosses back an offer about 25% LOWER than the start bid (which, of course, they'd already bid.)

What would you do...?

Block the bidder?

Ask what the bidder is smoking?

Raise the starting bid to the top of the original bid they placed?

I'd let the auction run, and if the book doesn't sell (which it probably will, but just in case...), THEN, and only then, would I enter negotiations with prospective buyer, staring off with explaining that you were confused by his behaviour. If he continues to be weird... relist the book, and block his .

Bidder approaches you to make an off-eBay offer on one of your books.

Book is listed as an auction, with starting bid *about* FMV.

Bidder places a bid on that item, which matches the start bid.

You respond that you'd be happy to do a BIN (so that it's through eBay), and what was the offer?

Unlike the Amazing Fantasy #15, where the buyer offered much HIGHER than the current bid, to secure the item, buyer RETRACTS his bid, and tosses back an offer about 25% LOWER than the start bid (which, of course, they'd already bid.)

What would you do...?

Block the bidder?

Ask what the bidder is smoking?

Raise the starting bid to the top of the original bid they placed?

Some combination of all of the above with consideration thrown in to getting the bidder's address and sending him "bill me later" subscriptions to Cat Fancy and Men in Uniform magazine.

I would use Personal Paypal and/or ship via Media Mail.
And make sure the box has nothing in it except some modern drek.

...let it run,...I've been plagued with low ball off ebay offers and non paying bidders lately,...the last guy who wanted to do an off ebay transaction started re-negitiating the price as soon as I agreed and just pizzed me off,...I let the auction run and he ended up paying the reserve price that I origially wanted,..

...is it just me or is Ebay just getting wose and worse?...I find myself opening 2 cases a week as both a buyer and a seller,...twice in the last month I've had sellers not ship me items cause I've won them too low,... :frustrated:

Ignore the offer, keep the listing the way it is and wait for him to negotiate against himself

^^

Why would you do anything else? The only other thing I might do is ask if the offer was a type-o. I'm amazed how often that works.