• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim Job?

30 posts in this topic

What makes you think the book is trimmed?

The way the cover's cut is angled, and the paper is exposed on bottom and right side. The corners look unusual to me---too sharp. Maybe I missed out on a good deal...confused-smiley-013.gif

it's a 20 center...why would anyone want to trim that???...

Well, why would anyone color touch a Modern 25cent Son of Satan comic? Dunno, but mine came back RESTORED

Don't even start asking me WHY people choose to do this...it's beyond my comprehension.

The way the cover's cut is angled, and the paper is exposed on bottom and right side. The corners look unusual to me---too sharp. Maybe I missed out on a good deal...confused-smiley-013.gif

You might have because none of those things are really indicators that the book has been trimmed.

This could also be taken as an indicator that the book has not been trimmed...besides...if you look at the bottom staple...it does not look like it had been removed...

If the book had indeed been trimmed I would think the staple would have been reinserted and flattened...whereas the bottom staple looks rounded with no sign of manual bending...

JMO....

Trust me...I'm no expert either...but I do know that in order to properly trim a book the cover is removed, trimmed and then replaced...hence the manipulation of the staples...

This is why one of the best way to detect whether the cover has been trimmed is to open the book to the center page and examine whether the staples line up properly and have not been realigned...

You can't really check for most of the tell-tale signs with a scan. Most of what you're looking for is in the edges of the book or is so minute that it couldn't possibly show in a scan. I think Pov's restoration detection thread covers the basics.

The good thing is, despite what the comic-keys mania makes people around here think, trimming isn't all THAT common. It's certainly something to watch out for, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it either.