• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will happen 50 years from now?

67 posts in this topic

I like James Bond movies, but I've never run out to collect the old Ian Fleming novels.

What a great example. I LOVE westerns, but I'm not going to go out and get Lone Ranger comics. Here, just off the top of my head, are collectibles that have both lost value and collectors recently.

• Stamps
  • Baseball cards
  • World's Fair memorabilia
  • Westerns
  • "Pop-Art" posters
  • Fawcett comics - was the biggest seller in the industry in 1948, now don't sell at all.

I could go on, but this is just a start.

Here, just off the top of my head, are collectibles that have both lost value and collectors recently.

Here's an easier way:

Call your Dad and ask "What did you used to collect?" 27_laughing.gif

Here, just off the top of my head, are collectibles that have both lost value and collectors recently.

Here's an easier way:

Call your Dad and ask "What did you used to collect?" 27_laughing.gif

Well, my dad collected blondes and redheads before he got married, and they aren't going out of style. The old man owned a nightclub in Chicago and was quite the rake.

Well, my dad collected blondes and redheads before he got married, and they aren't going out of style.

Well, I wouldn't imagine the ones he collected would be worth too much today. 27_laughing.gif

Well I turned on the old TIME MACHINE.

This is how I see it.

People will still collect old comics 50, 100, or more years from now. One reason I say this is because how much $$$$ people make in the future will be in sink with the economy then (future) as it is now. Another reason is that if every old comic became beyond collecting because of price then it would become a totally usless collectible. Believe it or not people that pay extreme amounts for cards, stamps, antique furniture, paintings, and such, do take a loss sometimes. Its just not made public as much. If someday old comics are at prices that only a Gates or a Trump can afford, I believe it would eventually turn around. Are there that many millionares out there that collect comics? And would they buy up every old comic? I think comics will still be collectable to the common man. Even the goldenage stuff.

It WILL be like today's GA collectors, but with much more supply.

Now there's a comment to think about. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif You know Joe, the same........but different.

27_laughing.gif You know Joe, the same........but different.

Ah, the cerebrally-challenged heard from. 27_laughing.gif

It is an interesting comment when you think about it. Each generation faces a significant loss of its main collector base, but in the case of GA books, low supply mutes the effect.

Due to much higher supply, Silver will be worse, and I can't imagine how low Bronze prices will fall by the time I retire. 893whatthe.gif

....I didnt really relish getting to all this again so soon....but let me comment on one aspect of your reply.

Im overjoyed that at least the crash has been pushed back to 2009!

2004s almost half over and, well, you know how the markets been doing. So cheer up evybody: we got three more years of feverish buying left and two years to unload it at the top!

I agree, the last thread on this subject was enough for me to feel as if I should just put all my collection in the paper shredder now , and not waste all my future time and energy on something that there will be no collectors for, since there are no kids reading comics today, and no one will want them anymore.....

Ohh wait.. what am I saying? confused-smiley-013.gif I am not J.C. 893whatthe.gif

Damit J.C. get outa my head..... 893frustrated.gif

You got me brain washed! insane.gif

But as for what will happen 50 years from now.. who the f knows..

We all like to think we might have an idea.. but as was well said on this post earlier...

Collect comics if you enjoy them.. period

or else you might be sad in 50 years if you cant sell your ASM #129 for 15k

sorry.gif

Actually I was thinking about this earler today.

It is a fact todays kids are not reading comics at the same clip that we did, and or our fathers did.

So it is safe to assume that means that there wont be as much of a collector base.

But it has also been said on this thread, that with movies, games , cartoons, etc being made of comic characters.. then would it be safe to think that as kids today grow up, while not reading comics, they are exposed to "comic culture " enough, that it is in their brain on some level.

And then as most of us did, we grow up, and have interests in what we had as a kid.

My point is, I hope that while they may not collect comics, and our comic collections might not be worth a mere pittence of what we paid for them.

I just hope that the interest in comics lives on.

And the reason they have thrived this far .. is the stories, and mythos is built on a solid foundation.

I did not grow up in the forties reading Batman, and Superman, nor did I as a kid in the sixties....

But that does not mean I do not like, and want to buy GA Batman, and Superman comics as an adult now, at every chance I get.

So lets hope we can preserve our comics for the collector's of tommorrow, and pass on to them why we liked them, and how a handful of artists and writers changed a part of American pop culture forever.

That to me is the big difference between comics and other collectibles, comics are not like stamps, or coins, or Hopalong Cassidy mail in offer memorabilia,

You can like comics on many, many different levels, the art, and artists, the stories, and writers, , investment opportunities, the nostalgia factor .. etc..

So in 50 years perhaps my Giant Size Avengers #1 wont be worth the $25 I paid for it, but I hope in 50 years, some collector is just as excited to fork over $10 at some flea market and take it home.

Z

My point is, I hope that while they may not collect comics, and our comic collections might not be worth a mere pittence of what we paid for them.

I think that's really the only hope, that the comic characters can live on.

Comic books are DOA in 50 years, and I think even the most staunch speculator realizes this, but that doesn't mean we can't have a Spidey virtual reality simulator then. thumbsup2.gif

That to me is the big difference between comics and other collectibles, comics are not like stamps, or coins, or Hopalong Cassidy mail in offer memorabilia,

You do realize that everyone feels the same way about their fave collectible, right?

Different, not better.

You do realize that everyone feels the same way about their fave collectible, right?

Different, not better.

well kinda, maybe....coins and stamps have a ton of history, and the allure of gold and silver.

Hopalong Cassidy did have some swell boots and a nifty hat..

so I guess your right..

BUT

I must just like spidersense, Big Hammers, and bat ears better..

27_laughing.gif

I think that's really the only hope, that the comic characters can live on.

Comic books are DOA in 50 years, and I think even the most staunch speculator realizes this, but that doesn't mean we can't have a Spidey virtual reality simulator then. thumbsup2.gif

Is there even a chance that it is "because " they are printed on real paper.

That comics will become retro.. and cool.

When in the sterile futureworld.... a tactile paper book will be sought after?

Because if it is any indication, I cant stand

E Books.

I need to pik it up, flip through it, and feel it, smell it etc...

My wife is in the newspapers biz, and this is a very serious subject..

Will Newspapers be done in by the internet?

So far it has not, perople use both.

But we shall see in years to come how the taste of kids change.

They never even had to use a real typewriter before,

they wont know whats its like to go to the Bathroom and read the news paper.

How can you smack your doggy on the nose with your e-pad?

line your birdcage with used old printer paper

How can you make a swell paper hat out of a PC game box?

Well you get my point, but that is a totally different topic that is closely related to this thread

Z

Is there even a chance that it is "because " they are printed on real paper. That comics will become retro.. and cool. When in the sterile futureworld.... a tactile paper book will be sought after?

This will almost certainly happen, but there will not be as many collectors as there are today.

need to pik it up, flip through it, and feel it, smell it etc...

There is much truth here! Paper is a truly tactile thing. It has look and feel and smell and has a particular sound when you leaf through various types of paper (I leave out taste because - well - that can damage the paper). But seriously - paper is a wonderful thing. I have four main areas of collecting: comic books (paper), movie posters (paper), first/interesting editions (paper) and documents/letters/etc (paper). While one can scan paper it leaves it truly flat. There is no texture. No smell. No feel. (OK OK - no taste either - unless you like licking your monitor). No sound as you flip the pages (unless you have some sound programmed into your computer for it but in that case, being the same sound, it will always sound the same regardless of the type of paper).

Paper is a wonderful thing. I have seen some Sci-fi films where paper was a very valuable commodity. I agree with that. Paper is in abundance now. Years form now? Who knows?

I wasn't referring to any other part of your argument other than that part I quoted. Good thing quotes, they give you quite a clue as to what you're actually talking about.

I think I addressed your specious argument correctly. If you still don't get it, FOAD. Snot.

No I don't think you did. Didn't take much to bring you down into the gutter though. I was only making one point and it's certainly wasn't specious. The bull market and/or anything else wasn't on the table. Have a nice day now.