• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil#158 Title Splash Page by Miller only goes for 5K??? What's up???

19 posts in this topic

Does anybody know why this historical splash page didn't fetch some serious money even in today's economy? Just shy of $6000? Personally, I would take this selection over the infamous $400,000 splash that recently sold anyday of the week. Seriously, I'm stilling scratching my head over this one. MILLER and JANSON's first issue together - it doesn't get any better than this. WTF?

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7039&lotNo=92240

Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Daredevil #158 Black Widow Splash Page 1 Original Art (Marvel, 1979). The first page of Miller's first issue!

closed at $5,975.00

You're probably the only one on the boards that would take that page over the DK splash. Just sayin'.

The DD splash is nice and a pretty good bargain as you say but it does have what people look for in a miller either.

That piece got $6k on the strength of it being #158 page 1.

No DD, no one is costume and VERY early for Miller artwork.

It's place in history is secure, but it's missing several things that would make it go for significantly more than it sold for at auction.

The only thing that made the page remarkable was that it was

1) 1st issue of Daredevil by Frank Miller to start his epic run, and I did hear after he took on writing responsibilities his pencils became more like layouts and Klaus Janson contributed more and more to the art, eventually taking over the penciling credits.

2) Title Credits 1st page

3) Splash Page

4) Has Klaus Janson inks, who is closely associated with Miller's artwork

The things that go against the page are:

1) No appearance of the main character Daredevil nor Matt Murdock

2) No Heroes, other than Black Widow (out of costume)

3) Frank Miller did not write the story, Roger McKenzie did

4) It's not the 1st Miller Daredevil, he drew DD in Spectacular Spider-Man #27 ('tho Inked by Frank Springer)

So, it's a great page and a good price, probably the right price (and high profile auctions tend to never have steals of deals at the time, pass by collectors, resellers or investors), but there are better pages both artistically in rendering and more meaningful in substance as far as featured characters (Elektra, Bullseye, Kingpin or Daredevil) as well as, in my opinion, any issue featuring the writing of Frank Miller (begins @ #168) carries more nostalgic clout due to the fan favorite crime noir storyline.

Personally, I think it could have commanded more money if it were the only Frank Miller page on auction that session, but there were 15 pieces to choose from, of which 8 were Daredevil interrior pages (granted none were spectacular either). Sometimes, when there's too many to choose from the attentions (and financial focus) is split and all of the pieces can suffer a bit in realizing their maximum profit potential.

If I had the money I would have gone after the #158 - 1 page. I love it.

I agree that if DD was in it, it would have gone for a lot more.

The piece was won by a board member and he's really excited about it.

(thumbs u

Obviously if the page had either Daredevil or Black Widow in costume, it would have sold for a much higher price, but it is still a great page.

Some collectors prefer later issues when the Miller/Janson team already worked together for a few years. But as was pointed out in last week's discussion, there is just too much ambiguity in the later issues, and people would always question whether Miller did layouts only. For that reason, I prefer a page from an earlier issue, where there is no question Miller did the pencils and spotted blacks in its entirety on the actual board.

Personally, I think it could have commanded more money if it were the only Frank Miller page on auction that session, but there were 15 pieces to choose from, of which 8 were Daredevil interrior pages (granted none were spectacular either). Sometimes, when there's too many to choose from the attentions (and financial focus) is split and all of the pieces can suffer a bit in realizing their maximum profit potential.

I guess that's the main reason and I agree $6K is very low for such a splash !

I'm sorry to say that Natasha is one the rare characters who is as hot with or without her costume ...hehe !

Still I don't see why putting the three first pages separatly for sale in the same auction ???

I guess that's the main reason and I agree $6K is very low for such a splash !

I'm sorry to say that Natasha is one the rare characters who is as hot with or without her costume ...hehe !

Still I don't see why putting the three first pages separatly for sale in the same auction ???

I think because it had no costumed characters the page was probably passed on by high end buyers leaving us "middle class" buyers to bid on it. I can say that if I had the cash that piece would have ended much higher. I think for mid range pieces the economy has had a great affect on prices.

You're probably the only one on the boards that would take that page over the DK splash. Just sayin'.

I would take it over the DK splash as I HATE Dark Knight Returns, both the art and story. Although I wouldn't really have much interest in it since it doesn't have DD or a villain.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that this page has surfaced a few times over the last 25 years. I first remember seeing it in the CBG and I think it's appeared in a 1-2 other auctions. I think the people who would be most interested in it have probably had their shot at it and decided to pass.

May just be another example of where "fresh" pieces will command more of a premium.

It's another reason why I believe the seller and HA staff should have either sold as a 3 pgs sequence lot or one page by one page per several auctions ..

Yes fresh is better and I believe the pieces from Miller's collection will sure be a hit but how many collectors will fall in thinking they'll hit the spot with their Miller art in that very same auction ??

Honestly I can see all the reasons why the #158 opening sequence pgs didn't sell properly but I think it's wrong to say the splash deserved that same price it would have cost 4 years ago and the panel pages as well, I feel quite sorry for the collector seller who parted from these beauties ..I would have defintily bought the pages myself if I had the funds available and wasn't after some "S" pieces auctionned later than the "M" ...pieces I didn't win anyway ...

>>>Personally, I think it could have commanded more money if it were the only Frank Miller page on auction that session, but there were 15 pieces to choose from, of which 8 were Daredevil interrior pages (granted none were spectacular either). Sometimes, when there's too many to choose from the attentions (and financial focus) is split and all of the pieces can suffer a bit in realizing their maximum profit potential.<<<

Point well taken.

Yes it's like thinking you could have paid 25 cents for a comic book you would buy today for thousands ...

Thinking back to this HA auction I believe it proves how dangerous an auction house can be if you have art to sell, one can imagine the seller hoping to get a great amount of money ( don't auction houses give you an estimate of the value your pieces will get if put on no reserve ? )

Also I wonder what these pieces would have done on ebay with no reserve ?? I also wonder what price these same pieces will fetch the next time we'll see them for sale ..?