• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAC COAST XMEN 1 CGC 9.6 WHITE, ??ASKING PRICE

72 posts in this topic

hi all

what are people opinions on the asking price of this book just listed on comiclink?

imho, i think its a pretty fair asking price considering a 9.4 went for $55k a few months ago

if it sells @ over $100k, the $100k barrier for silver keys will have well and truly been broken.......again, and i predict super tough keys like hulk 1 9.4 may also break the barrier if ever made available

jim 83 9.4 may be $60-70k but maybe not $100k yet

As a Pacific Coast copy, I think it's a reasonable asking price. If it weren't a pedigreed book, however, I don't know if it would be worth 2x the price for only a .2 difference in grade. How many fewer non-color breaking spine stresses or slightly bent corners does $55,000 buy? confused-smiley-013.gif

-Edit-

As the second best copy known to exist, I think it's deserving of a 100k+ price tag. X-Men # 1 has matured to become a very significant key issue, and this truly is a stunning copy. In general, though, my thoughts about 2x (or sometimes even 3x) price increases for a .2 grade difference still stand. Of course, these pricing multiples have become commonplace in the ultra high-grade CGC'd comic market.

-Jim

I thought Hulk 1 already broke the $100k barrier, when Tom B bought the 9.4 copy? No way JIM 83 is a $60-70K book!!! Is it?! What's the last reported sale of a 9.4 copy? Last sale I remember hearing about was $35-40K, back in early 2003, has it almost doubled since then?

the hulk 1 9.4 sold fro over $100K??

i figuyre if jim 83 9.0's have been selling for $12-16k, a 9.2 would be $23-25k and a 9.4 $45-60K??

maybe $70k is a bit high but jim 83 in 9.4 is very tough, far tougher than xmen 1 in 9.4

As a Pacific Coast copy, I think it's a reasonable asking price. If it weren't a pedigreed book, however, I don't know if it would be worth 2x the price for only a .2 difference in grade. How many fewer non-color breaking spine stresses or slightly bent corners does $55,000 buy? confused-smiley-013.gif

-Edit-

As the second best copy known to exist, I think it's deserving of a 100k+ price tag. X-Men # 1 has matured to become a very significant key issue, and this truly is a stunning copy. In general, though, my thoughts about 2x (or sometimes even 3x) price increases for a .2 grade difference still stand. Of course, these pricing multiples have become commonplace in the ultra high-grade CGC'd comic market.

-Jim

you really covered all the bases with this post! Of course it isnt worth 55K for a .2 pt increase! But of course its happening all around us! Of course Pedigree key books increase he price! And of course they dont matter anymore = its just the grade!

OY! But I think this copy will sell at that price. How soon is the question. Probably this weekend...

I thought Hulk 1 already broke the $100k barrier

I think he said broke it "again". An FF #1 CGC 9.4 broke the 100K barrier a few years ago.

Unless another 9.4 Hulk 1 materializes, I don't think Hulk 1 is going to break the 100K barrier "again" anytime soon, simply because I don't see it leaving Tom B's clutches anytime soon

ff1 9.4 sold in 2002 for over $100k,as has AF 15 9.4

so if hulk a 1 9.4 also has that makes 3 silver age keys that have broken the $100k barrier

Don't forget ASM 1, a 9.6 copy sold for $150K during Spidey-mania, sold for $90K on Heritage a few months later and then was sold to Chris Bell recently for $107K (if the sale really happened) just a few months ago. Also, the 9.4 Showcase 4 reportedly sold for over $100K, so that makes 5.

I don't know if the 9.6 X-Men 1 on Comiclink is going to break $100K, and I'm not sure a 9.6 JIM 83 would break it. The only sure-fire $100K SA books among the existing population would be any FF 1 in 9.4 or above, any AF 15 in 9.4 or above, the 9.8 ASM 1 and the 9.8 X-Men 1. I'm not so sure the 9.4 Hulk 1 would break $100K again if it came on the market today.

so if hulk a 1 9.4 also has that makes 3 silver age keys that have broken the $100k barrier

Don't forget ASM 1, a 9.6 copy sold for $150K during Spidey-mania, sold for $90K on Heritage a few months later and then was sold to Chris Bell recently for $107K (if the sale really happened) just a few months ago. Also, the 9.4 Showcase 4 reportedly sold for over $100K, so that makes 5.

I don't know if the 9.6 X-Men 1 on Comiclink is going to break $100K, and I'm not sure a 9.6 JIM 83 would break it. The only sure-fire $100K SA books among the existing population would be any FF 1 in 9.4 or above, any AF 15 in 9.4 or above, the 9.8 ASM 1 and the 9.8 X-Men 1. I'm not so sure the 9.4 Hulk 1 would break $100K again if it came on the market today.

but if this 9.6 XMen #1 sells for the asking price (110K) Im pretty sure the 9.4 Hulk #1 would get the same.. I never heard about the Showcase 4 selling... know any details? or just hearsay at this point.

but if this 9.6 XMen #1 sells for the asking price (110K) Im pretty sure the 9.4 Hulk #1 would get the same.. I never heard about the Showcase 4 selling... know any details? or just hearsay at this point.

You're right, but I don't think this X-Men 1 will sell for the asking price. However, due to its rarity in 9.4, perhaps the Hulk 1 would break $100K regardless. Depends on how badly Tripps would want it to round out his collection...

I didn't mean to imply that Metropolis has sold the Showcase 4. What I meant was that I seem to recall hearing that over $100K was paid either by JP for it in the first place, or when Metropolis got it from him.

Fellas,

Just for the record, there's only 1 9.4 Inc Hulk 1, which Tom B bought raw in the late 90's (like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I passed on that book because I didn't have the cash to make a commitment). So, there has been no reported sale of a CGC graded Hulk 1 9.4 (When Tom got it before CGc was in existence, the price was high, but very reasonable now looking back).

There were 3 IH 1 9.2s that sold high. The Bethlehem copy went at auction for appx $50,000, plus I had purchased one from Jay Parrino a little over 2 years ago for $33,000 (it was overgraded, and I sold it & now its a 9.0!!). Most recently, I purchased back the Northland copy (I originally bought it from Motor City unslabbed years ago then traded it to my Pacific Coast partner to get an AF 15 9.4) for $47,500. Of course, most recently, an 8.5 (white pages) went for $29,000 (includes buyers premium) at Heritage's auction.

So, there's no telling what a IH 1 9.4 would go for (Tom's not selling his & no other copies exist), but it would be a LOT more than 100K (Believe me on this).

As for the X-Men 1 9.6, its not a crazy price. The book is killer (I once owned it), and I'm sure it will sell.

Thanks for the clarification Doug. I guess I had bad info, I could have sworn that the Chocolate Man told me Tom B didn't have the 9.4 Hulk 1 and had to wheel and deal to get it post-certification. If you think it would go for $100K+ if it ever went on the market, I have a sneaking suspicion that it probably would!

Tim,

How are you? I know for a fact Tom wouldn't even sell it at 100k, maybe not at 150. Taking into account the overall rarity of the book (its probably the rarest/hardest to find in high grade Marvel key), it would take a serious offer to get it out of Tom's hands. BTW, the census is incorrect, as there are only 2 9.2s in existence (the Bethlehem & the Northland, which is killer and closer to a 9.4 than 9.2, I think). The other 9.2 (which I bought from The Mint) is now a 9.0, but was resubmitted without the CGC label, so is there's an extra 9.2 on the pop report.

Again, only 1 9.4 & 2 9.2s, this is indeed a tough in high grade book. Believe me, the next 9.2 sale (if any) you will hear will be at least $70,000, maybe more.

Hulk # 1 is notorious for Marvel chipping. Early SA Marvel key 1962? with dark blue cover/spine makes it very tough to find above vf. Short 6 issue run that SA Marvel collectors may not have wanted to complete in the 70s. Not a long running major title like FF, ASM or JIM/Thor.

Aardvark,

Excellent points. Also, when it came out (May, ' 62) people had already had their fill of Marvel monsters & the like, from mid -50's to late' 61, when FF 1 hit the newsstands. I don't think the reception was as big on the IH 1 (in fact I'm sure) as it was on the FF 1, 2 & 3 (IH 1 hit the stands the same month as FF 4, which had an old face on the cover, that of the submariner, and was a lot fresher & exciting looking than a typical looking monster-type book, IH 1). For Marvel to have cancelled the title after 6 issues, notwithstanding the fact they had to cancel 1 title in order to introduce a new one as per their agreement with DC, it couldn't have been a huge seller.

In fact, of all the early Hulks, only 6 is out there in high grade. 1-5 are truly scarce in grade & almost impossible in 9.4 or 9.6. So the facts do indicate the IH 1 may very well be the rarest (in high grade) Marvel key. I certainly think it is, even tougher than TTA 27, which I do not feel is a Marvel key. Do I smell a new thread starting on this point or can we just continue here??

Just another point of note. The White Mountains, which contained a lot of keys in super high grade (TOS 39 9.6; JIM 83 9.6; AF 15 9.4; ASM 1 9.6; FF 1 9.2; FF 2 9.4; FF 5 9.4, etc) did have a Hulk 1, but it graded only an 8.0. If I remember correctly, it did have some Marvel Chipping or problems on the right edge. Not that this fact that the WM IH 1 only graded an 8.0 means it's hard to dn high grade, it goes to show that even the meticulous original owner of this horde (who kept his books perfectly in metal storage boxes) couldn't find a near-perfect copy on the newsstand (unless the chipping/right-side prblms were caused later on, which I doubt). I do not believe that another Hulk 1 will be found or graded in 9.4(unless it's a resubmit of my Northland or the Bethlehem copy).