• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAC COAST XMEN 1 CGC 9.6 WHITE, ??ASKING PRICE

72 posts in this topic

sellers disappoinment level depends entirely on his motive for selling, right?

If he needs the money, Yes, hes gonna be bummed to lower prices to move them.

But if hes just out to fish and sell only AT HIS PRICES, then he'll be happy to keep his pretty books. But, he will end up without a 9.4 run, which again is good or bad depending on his collecting, or selling, goals.

I really did think it would sell over 100K.

Who knows, it might be worth it, too. Nice book. (duh!)

Most of his prices are above current market value and I'm sure he knows this. I doubt he's in any hurry to sell but who knows. Eventually a few more of the early issues will filter out but I doubt too much of the 20s-40s will sell at those prices.

Most of his prices are above current market value and I'm sure he knows this. I doubt he's in any hurry to sell but who knows. Eventually a few more of the early issues will filter out but I doubt too much of the 20s-40s will sell at those prices.

My guess is the seller knows exactly what he's doing and is doing a bit of fishing, I seriously doubt he's selling out of need. X-Men in 9.4 is not exactly rare, even the early issues, so I doubt he's going to have many takers for the 9.4s at the listed prices. The exception is #11, which is always tough to find in high grade, and not surprisingly it's been snapped up already. However, the 9.6s, such as the 5, 6, 10, 14 and 16, are not so easy to find, and I would not be surprised to find a few takers after a while.

Agreed, you almost never see 11s in grade, the other one that I wasn't surprised sold is the 9.6 #17. I never see that book in high grade, I'd like to see how nice the lone 9.8 is cloud9.gif

Yeah, and if you think #11 in 9.4 is hard to find, how about in 9.6? One went up on eBay a couple of years ago and the price just exploded. Just about every BSD was in the action, with the biggest SA BSD winning out, unsurprisingly. I had not realized 17 was that hard to find in 9.6, but you're right, as borne out by the fact that it's now gone.

I have bid on several books and he has made some counter-offers. I think the later issues can be had for around market value. He might hold out on a few of the early issues, believing that in the next few weeks or months he will get what he wants.

Seems like the seller really wanted to move the books becuase the prices were not terribly unreasonable. Makes sense to list books at slightly above market value and see what unfolds.

hey Tripps.... when you drove away with the 9 boxes of books, as excited as you were, did you not also feel you had sure spent an awful lot of money? meaning that you thought they were too expensive (but you wanted/needed/had to have them) anyway? Or did you think they were cheap? (I doubt that...just putting it out there..)

they look cheap now, but so do the Dentists MHs in the 80s when everyone was shaking their heads...

I have bid on several books and he has made some counter-offers. I think the later issues can be had for around market value. He might hold out on a few of the early issues, believing that in the next few weeks or months he will get what he wants.

Seems like the seller really wanted to move the books becuase the prices were not terribly unreasonable. Makes sense to list books at slightly above market value and see what unfolds.

Perhaps, but in the case of some of his listings, there were already other 9.4s listed, and he listed at a slightly higher price in each such case, so he couldn't have been too desperate to sell them quickly.

Perhaps, but in the case of some of his listings, there were already other 9.4s listed, and he listed at a slightly higher price in each such case, so he couldn't have been too desperate to sell them quickly.

Seems like a lot sold today!!!!

amann,

Good question. I do not remember the exact feelings or reasoning I had behind buying the "leftover" 9 boxes, but I probably did want to complete the runs and I remember doing the same thing with Dan the year before (bought excess boxes of higher numbers from an original owner collection he termed the Bloomfields, also for $3,000) and I must have assumed the books were killer (which they are), otherwise I wouldn't have done it. I guess if he wanted, say, $10,000 for the remaining 9 boxes I would have said no after spending a lot on the initial, early SA purchase. I assume the price had something to do with it.

It seemed like it was a pattern with Dan. Price and grade the early SA issues, then blow out the remaining higher numbers at a take it or leave it price. He did that with the Bloomfield books and followed with the Winnipegs (I don't know if he did it with the Golden States, which he purchased a year or so after the Winnipegs).

Unbelievably, I still have all the Bloomfield leftovers and all the Winnipegs. I got me some grading to do since I don't intend to keep them.

Doug.

Dawg,

It's the SA Marvel collector whom I did many trades with. Most of these X-Men were once mine (maybe not the 5, but all the rest b/w 1-21 & none of the issues above 21) and I traded them to him to get his Pacific Coast X-Mens 1-21. These were killer books I traded to him, but I got upgrades on the PC's.

Tripps,

actually it was the first load of high grade stuff I meant in my question. I wondered if you got how I do driving back with the goods, and pondering whether I got a great deal, an okay deal, or, "paid thru the nose, but dammm, they're sweet books, I HAD to have them no matter what and I did ny best to keep the price down!!!

Ive also known Dan to sell off the 'best' stuff and then blow out long boxes of the 'crapp' He seems to turn up very nice collections pretty often!

thanks...it is crazy to see runs like that for sale....I am going to go back and read that thread where you talked about the PC colelction now..

If the seller is who I think it is, he's an extremely astute collector who is pretty good at timing the market. In particular, he timed the peak of the ASM market perfectly, unloading his run at record prices.

Just another point of note. The White Mountains, which contained a lot of keys in super high grade (TOS 39 9.6; JIM 83 9.6; AF 15 9.4; ASM 1 9.6; FF 1 9.2; FF 2 9.4; FF 5 9.4, etc) did have a Hulk 1, but it graded only an 8.0. If I remember correctly, it did have some Marvel Chipping or problems on the right edge. Not that this fact that the WM IH 1 only graded an 8.0 means it's hard to dn high grade, it goes to show that even the meticulous original owner of this horde (who kept his books perfectly in metal storage boxes) couldn't find a near-perfect copy on the newsstand (unless the chipping/right-side prblms were caused later on, which I doubt). I do not believe that another Hulk 1 will be found or graded in 9.4(unless it's a resubmit of my Northland or the Bethlehem copy).

I heard the White Mountain Hulks had some Marvel Chipping as well. When they were listed in the auction catalogue they cropped the photos and the buyer did not know this. He was in another state and bought them sight unseen. I heard he was upset but the books were not returnable. Was that Sotheby's??

Anyway, you are correct that Hulk 1 is near impossible to find without chips or stress on the spine.

If hes so good at timing the market, sounds like hes an investor, not a collector, no?

No, he was a genuine collector, but I believe he sold the ASMs to raise funds to finance his family's business, and took advantage of Spidey-mania to maximize his fund raising. I can't speculate about the reason for his subsequent sales (including these X-Men if they indeed are his), but I believe it's been part of a steady divestment strategy rather than a flipping strategy. My reference to him being good at timing the market meant that he was patient and astute at picking the right times to sell, rather than unloading in a big firesale.

okay. Ill buy all that. Its just that I very rarely sell naything, and want to sell at the top etc, so I guess Im jealous that he decided to repurpose his assets (READ: SELL) during a feeding frenzy for top dollar!! Thats the way to do it. And as we all know, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get out!

If hes so good at timing the market, sounds like hes an investor, not a collector, no?

Are those two states of being as mutually exclusive as you're inferring? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif