• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Comics Iphone / Ipad App

9 posts in this topic

This has probably been discussed in Comics General but I am more interested in the views of Golden Age fans. I was reading in Wired magazine this past month about the shift in comic publishing to portable devices so I loaded the Archie App. Didn't do much for me and I didn't think about it too much.

But last night I was at my daughter's piano recital occupying my time with the Iphone. Yes, I admit I was not listening to the other child prodigies, geniuses all buit instead was downloading the DC comic Iphone app.

Now here was a horse of a different color, drawing on a vast library there were many many Golden Age gems for sale at 99 cents a pop. Batman 1-20, Wonder Woman 1-10, I wasn't able to look at it all but it really made me start to think.

I don't have an IPad (only the Iphone at this point) so I won't be downloading these books to that but the IPad experience to read some of these classic stories might be interesting.

Is anyone out there a user? I am particularly intrigued by the early Wonder Woman issues as the chances of buying original copies is unlikely yet they have great stories by a great and very esoteric team.

Is anyone out there adopting this technology for their Golden Age reading interests? It seems like it opens up vast vistas of material that would otherwise be impractical to reprint.

I've been reading comics on my iPad for a few months now, but haven't tried GA issues yet, just new stuff. I'm really impressed with the bright, deep colors on the iPad screen. I'm definitely going to try a few GA books soon.

They had a few interesting early Actions posted and probably some Superman, I think the fun will be if they start reprinting (reposting? what is the word) more obscure stuff from the late forties or early fifites that won't likely see an Archive edition.

Robin stories from Star Spangled

Vigilante tales from Action

Radio Wave from Action

Tomahawk

Some of the great war books from the fifties

The list is endless and at 99 cents a pop the consumer enty point is almost nill; although I suspect break-even has to be in the thousand of downloads to make it worthwhile.

I'll be curious what you think of any of the Golden Age reads, please post when you have viewed one.

You can even put these comics on the big screen now with the recent updates to the iOS which is great in it's own right but again, just doesn't have the feel of print.

I agree with you but this thread isn't about print vs. the new electronic media. It's about whether folks here would take advantage of this new technology to view Golden Age.

They had a few interesting early Actions posted and probably some Superman, I think the fun will be if they start reprinting (reposting? what is the word) more obscure stuff from the late forties or early fifites that won't likely see an Archive edition.

Radio Wave from Action

Tomahawk

The list is endless and at 99 cents a pop the consumer enty point is almost nill; although I suspect break-even has to be in the thousand of downloads to make it worthwhile.

Considering these only cost 10 cents when they came out then selling them for .99 cents is a big profit.

Radio Wave from Action

Tomahawk

Considering these only cost 10 cents when they came out then selling them for .99 cents is a big profit.

Actually, I bet it is thousands of dollars per book or story just to get uploaded. I have not seen the quality of the scans but I assume they are pretty decent. That would mean someone at a scanner with original artwork or comics and getting it input into the appropriate digital file and adjusted to look appealing on these devices.

If a New York graphics professional is involved I am sure labor rates are in the $100 range. Then you have the computer professionals who need to upload the images and insure that all links are functional, They also probably make at least $100. per hour unless this activity is off shored and then you might see some reduced rates.

Let's say it takes a minimum of 20 hours for the Graphics work which is probably light; that is $2000. Let's assume that the computer work is done off shore for a more reasonable $20. per hour and there is also 20 hours of work. That's another $400. So our hypothetical book has just cost us $2400. to get on line meaning it needs 2400 downloads to break even and that doesn't count the cut Apple gets on the 99 cent purchase price nor the ongoing cost of maintaining the site although the more current comics probably provides revenue for that.

If I were at DC / Time Warner I would be looking to outsource the digital photoshopping efforts as well to get the price down. Anyway you look at there is a pretty big hurdle here to get old material in front of the comics fan. Probably explains why they are only offering a small number of stories from significant titles. I suspect it is a loss leader to understand the market.