• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A good place to buy MODERN CGC?

46 posts in this topic

Since I'm no longer a completest due to the fact that I sold 95% of my collection 15 years ago. I could never afford too replace everything at today's prices. I have been buying key issues from the past & current in as best condition as affordable. I have been buying moderns & just shipped a batch off for grading. My big worry is they will not grade as high as I want. So I have started to buy them already graded high. But you really pay for it that way.

If I may ask, what is your "end game"?

Do you want a full run of 9.8s for a series from this point forward, or just cherry pick specific issues at 9.8?

Cherry pick my favs.

Going to be much harder than.

Sub services won't be an option (I believe. I don't want to speak for them.)

The WTB and WTS threads on this board may be your best bet.

Also, set up phone alerts on saved searches on eBay. You can snag some nice deals that way.

How do these guys get so many 9.8s?! Man, i send lots of books in which seem spotless to me but often get 9.6 even 9.4s and rarely 9.8s. I sometimes spend so much sending raw books in it would have been cheaper to just buy 9.8s from the start

How do these guys get so many 9.8s?! Man, i send lots of books in which seem spotless to me but often get 9.6 even 9.4s and rarely 9.8s. I sometimes spend so much sending raw books in it would have been cheaper to just buy 9.8s from the start

mostly through experience and access to volume. A lot of think we have an eye for it, and we submit 10-15 slabs two or three times a year, these guys submit 200 per MONTH, they get their percentages pretty high, but they do miss some times, so they also submit extras usually too.

They use CGCs Pre-screen service,

"When submitting a large number of comic books in a single submission for Value, Economy or Modern tiers, take advantage of our Pre-screen Service.

By requesting Pre-screen Service and specifying a minimum grade on your invoice, you will be charged grading fees only for the comic books that meet or exceed your specified minimum grade.

This service works as follows. For example, if sending 100 miscellaneous Modern comics, you could request a minimum grade of 9.4. Comics grading at 9.4 and above are certified and encapsulated at usual rates. Comics grading below 9.4 are returned uncertified.

Minimum quantities are required and special service guidelines must be followed in order for your submission to qualify for Pre-screen Service. Additionally, CGC charges a reject fee for each comic returned uncertified. Fees are calculated based on the number of books submitted, the grading tier selected, the percentage that passed, and the minimum grade requested.

Please contact CGC customer service to discuss Pre-screens, pricing and submission eligibility."

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/prescreen.asp

Ok thanks for the advice and replies. My strategy so far has been to send raw books for SS CGC and often come back with great sigs (sometimes all 3 - writer, artist and cover artist) but as a 9.4 or 9.6.

Thinking of revising my strategy to sending in first for blue label CGC (maybe pressing before too), then only sending the 9.8s in for signing as SS CGC

Anyone have expeirence sending in a graded book for signing that came back as a lower grade? Guess it depends how well the creators handle the books when signing?

Ok thanks for the advice and replies. My strategy so far has been to send raw books for SS CGC and often come back with great sigs (sometimes all 3 - writer, artist and cover artist) but as a 9.4 or 9.6.

Thinking of revising my strategy to sending in first for blue label CGC (maybe pressing before too), then only sending the 9.8s in for signing as SS CGC

Anyone have expeirence sending in a graded book for signing that came back as a lower grade? Guess it depends how well the creators handle the books when signing?

Your best bet is to buy already graded cgc 9.8ss there are a number of guys here on the boards that work their butts off to get those books done and will likely save you a ton in shipping/hassle and most of them are very prompt!