• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When selling on Ebay

12 posts in this topic

Cheap books no reserve.

Medium price books with a BIN use a modest but strong enough opening bid to keep the BIN alive for a day or so, no reserve.

Expensive books I would use a reserve wether I have a BIN or no.

Cheap = < $20

Medium = $20-$200

Over $200 = Expensive because few people buy $200 comics and this is the level were people start playing games if they are dishonest.

If selling an expensive book I would use paypal, have a BIN that requires immediate payment. This way it won't complete end the auction until you get back. This will prevent bidders from just hitting the BIN and not paying.

That's one way of looking at it Milo-G. I would argue though that using the immediate payment option via paypal discourages potential customers from using the BIN option and ultimately does more harm than good. Bear in mind that if you for example list a book with a BIN of $700 with immediate paypal payment, if I execute the BIN and pay immediately with PayPal, you've already conceded $10 to $15 in paypal fees but if I Priority Mail or overnight you a check or money order for the $700, you are out nothing. By making the BIN option a PayPal only proposition, you are effectively reducing the buyer's options, and that's as bad as accepting only money orders. If you are concerned about prompt payment, make it a term of your auction, as in "payment must received within X days". Quite honestly, I feel the whole "BIN with immediate pay w/PayPal" benefits PayPal and eBay far more than the seller. My 2c, which by now has devalued another .5 cents on the world markets. insane.gif

P.S. to DMACS- Aces has some sound advice on pricing and Old Guy has the best overall advice- BIG SCANS front and back. Until you have established credibility with eBay comic buyers, good sharp large scans will be your best friend.

If selling an expensive book I would use paypal, have a BIN that requires immediate payment. This way it won't complete end the auction until you get back. This will prevent bidders from just hitting the BIN and not paying.

You're trying to scare bidders away?

You're trying to scare bidders away?

Nope, he's trying to scare scammers and lame Goose Egg bidders away. If EBay would enforce similar rules on buyers as they do sellers (minimum 10 feedback for BIN) this wouldn't be quite so much of an issue.

I can't believe no one out there has had a BIN popped by a Zero Feedback guy who never sends payment?

Of course every veteran seller of eBay has been stiffed by a 0 FB DB. But I've also had to NPB buyers with feedbacks over 100. While it's more likely that a newbie will be a thriller, it's not fair to discount them ALL as bad risks. Sometimes the low feedback guys that are new to eBay are a lot better to deal with because (a) they see something they like, they buy it (b) they pay for it quickly because they are anxious to get it and © they are more willing to work with you because they are trying to build a good feedback record.

Thanks guys for all the input for all the input, i was opting for Money Orders and Pay Pal to start off with. I never did like the BIN thing, doesn't really make it feel like an auction, like you don't have a choice. There are some people i enjoy watching their auctions (Jason Ewert), as he has nice books, and he doesn't show the backs. I hope all my transactions go smoothly, I have a really nice collection to sell that has been sealed up for 6 years. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

You might want to try moving some of your books here first. A lot of board members (me included) don't mind paying a little more when we know we're going to get accurately graded books, fast shipping, a return policy and none of the BS that goes with so many Ebay transactions.