• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant Relaunch

301 posts in this topic

to me this is huge news, i am still a huge fan of the valiant series, all of them, ive enjoyed the shooter dark horse books, but i hate that they come out 6 months late. a definate death kniel to a series.

with all the characters valiant still owns, im sure it can get by without magnus, turok and solar, the eternal warrior was a great original character, as was x-o, and master darque.

the one problem that valiant seemed to have back then was the only villians they could come up with was harada, master darque, and the spider aliens. acclaim comics acutally came up with some great enemies in the eternal warriors one shots that were published.

i hope it is a great story, i can live with mediocre art for a bit, but the story needs to be of the highest quality, and this will ensure that alot of folks will try it.

No Magnus or Solar? Even more laughable now. Part of what made the original so great was the interconnected nature of the universe and Solar and Magnus were the two pillars holding all of it together.

You're right. It can't possibly work with only 99% of the original characters. What are they thinking? Why even try? Let's declare it worthless before it starts.

-doosh-

Already did. No Shooter, no Magnus, Solar or Turok, and from a new and untested publisher picking up where Dark Horse failed.

Most importantly, it's launching in an environment where there are 70% fewer comic book shops and print runs are 70% smaller than they were in 1991-1992.

Again--these books were my childhood. I have thousands of dollars invested in Valiants, so their success is in my (financial) best interest.

Not to say they couldn't produce some great books. I _loved_ Shadowman vol. 2 # 1 (by Ennis), as well as # 16-vol. 3 # 6. And Bloodshot (vol. 2) was arguably better (as a whole) than vol. 1.

But I'd say that even VH1 fans are allowed to be skeptical, given the failed attempts at reboots over the last 12 years, even with superstar talent.

If only they'd hire someone who's already been successful in this market... maybe someone from Marvel...

maybe a Marvel editor and a former Marvel CEO... that kind of thing might help. :whistle:

Warren Simons oversaw the very best books that Marvel was putting out for a while. Until I see him putting out books, he has my trust.

Immortal Iron Fist, Daredevil, ASM, Thor, Magneto Testament - all great stuff that was released with him at the helm.

If only they'd hire someone who's already been successful in this market... maybe someone from Marvel...

maybe a Marvel editor and a former Marvel CEO... that kind of thing might help. :whistle:

Or publish Marvel characters. That might help too. :baiting:

This seems to be split between people who love Valiant and want to see this succeed and people who appreciate Valiant but are wary of the market and glory day let downs.

David Lee Roth is recording a new record with Van Halen, but I just don't see it living up to what they did 27 years ago. And there are plenty of examples out there to back up that.

Nothing can change what Valiant was originally able to accomplish the same as nothing can change what greed and ego eventually did to that company. It's a special story in the history of comics, but many long time Valiant fans still seem very defensive about that history.

The success or failure of this event will neither vindicate or erase the past.

It is what it is.

Unique and special.

It's okay to be skeptical of this relaunch and still appreciate what was.

Or publish Marvel characters. That might help too. :baiting:

This seems to be split between people who love Valiant and want to see this succeed and people who appreciate Valiant but are wary of the market and glory day let downs.

David Lee Roth is recording a new record with Van Halen, but I just don't see it living up to what they did 27 years ago. And there are plenty of examples out there to back up that.

A difference here is back in the 1980s David Lee Roth was a sex idol for the MTV crowd which had a lot to do with great sales. Now he is a aging old man who lost his sex appeal. Rock music has a lot to do with sex appeal. The new generation won`t be into the new Van Halen stuff just because of the stereo typical perceived thought that Van Halen is from their father`s generation. This is were Valiant`s characters are different. They don`t age like rockstars,and if these Valiant characters are done right they could be still considered hip for the new generation`s crowd unlike Van Halen.

I believe the rebirth of Valiant will much bigger then the new DC 52 reboot in the long run. Just looking at the people who are running the new Valiant shows me to have confidence in them. :cloud9:

Yeah, ok. So it really comes down to an opinion of how good the new material will be, in a market where less people are buying new comcis than ever before?

The new material could be the greatest stories ever told.

That doesn't mean it's going to sell 100,000 copies a month.

It could be HORRIBLE and SELL 100,000 copies a month.

Who knows?

But what you're expecting Valiant to do is something that is rarely done in comics: revive a character to equal success. (And by rarely, I mean 'almost never'.)

It's just not done.

They have an uphill battle.

And Wizard isn't around to hype it as an important collectible.

Personally I hope they put out some comics that are fun and interesting to read. Could always use more of that.

I'm still not ready to bet the farm on it.

OMG guys the X-O cover alone should imply this is going to be a total POS re-launch.

I grew up with Pre-unity and moderately good post-Unity stories.

Valiant will never ever be good again as it was in the early 1990's.

Get over it. (shrug)

Having hope is a losing mentality.

No BWS, Shooter, Solar, Turok, or Magnus equals........ doh!

How on earth is anyone excited by this relaunch is beyond me.

If anyone wants me I will be back in 1992 reading Harbinger #1-6. (thumbs u

OMG guys the X-O cover alone should imply this is going to be a total POS re-launch.

I grew up with Pre-unity and moderately good post-Unity stories.

Valiant will never ever be good again as it was in the early 1990's.

Get over it. (shrug)

Having hope is a losing mentality.

No BWS, Shooter, Solar, Turok, or Magnus equals........ doh!

How on earth is anyone excited by this relaunch is beyond me.

If anyone wants me I will be back in 1992 reading Harbinger #1-6. (thumbs u

I agree that cover is lousy. I dont get it, you want to relaunch the titles, everyone is anticipating something great and they produce that image. Was that done using MS Paint? doh!

New school isnt going to cut it. Got to get the originals to work on it, or at least get the ball rolling again.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to conclude that past performance has anything to do with future performance, when it comes to characters.

The Valiant characters are great characters, and the potential is there to tell some really great stories with them in the future.

Just because some other creators told some not-very-good stories with these characters in the past, doesn't mean that all future stories with these characters will suck.

I'm looking forward to the new stuff.

The Valiant characters are great characters, and the potential is there to tell some really great stories with them in the future.

Just because some other creators told some not-very-good stories with these characters in the past, doesn't mean that all future stories with these characters will suck.

Agreed. Captain America was a cool character that was lame because of the stories that were told until Brubaker got ahold of him. Same thing for DD and Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, etc.

If you have good, or even decent characters, and people who can tell good stories with them, that's all you need.