• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toronto comic shop recommendations!

43 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'll be in Toronto this weekend for the first time in a lonnnnnnnnnng time supporting Jonny Bones in his title defense at UFC 140. Figured I'd check in on any cool comic shops specializing in (or at least having a decent selection of) silver and bronze in and around the downtown core (staying near the ACC and won't have a car to travel outside of town).

Any particular spots you might know from experience and recommend? From what I could turn up in Google (or find via a rudimentary search here), I couldn't judge which spots offered much beyond a few older books with the focus on moderns and graphic novels and toys, etc.

Thanks very much for your input!

I'm no expert & I don't get up that way very often.

1,000,000 Comix is on Yonge St & still open - it's big, has lots of new issues/variants & recent stuff is available, probably only late bronze forward but I was in a rush so I didn't check that place out very well.

Probably the best known store in downtown area is Silver Snail 367 QUEEN ST. W., TORONTO ONT. M5V2R4 It's smaller than I remember as a kid but they have a decent amount of books that goes back further than the store above.

I checked out Big B in Hamilton last summer and was pleasantly surprised. They have more selection of SA in my opinion, like wall books at a convention (they also have some better grade stuff in mylars separate from the relatively small back issue selection), they have more TPB's than either of the above stores.

Thought I'd mention it if you're looking to kill some time, probably 45 minutes from downtown Toronto. Big B site

Hopefully some others will chime in here.

you could also try Paradise Comics

3278 Yonge St.

Toronto, Ontario

M4N 2L6

(Four Blocks North of Lawrence Station)

They are close to the Yonge subway Line. They're pretty good, and has the biggest collection of TPB that I have ever seen. PLUS they also have some CGC too

try out the web site to see: www.paradisecomics.com

I recommend getting a day pass for the TTC since that way you can just hop on to any bus/subway/street car anytime, anywhere. PLus the pass is good for two people ;)

Paradise Comics sometimes has some decent inventory in the showcases. They are also big on Sig Series, CGC and Peter Dixon travels to a lot of shows to get autographs.

Silver Snail either was closing or is closed...anybody have the details if they are still open? I heard they had a problem with their lease.

1,000,000 comix used to have some serious inventory but I've only bought two SA books from them and both had pro colour touch.

Big B is making a big push to become a big time comic store. They doubled their store size in the past few years and always seem to have decent inventory at shows.

Comic Book Addiction in Whitby also used to have a great reputation although they are scaling back their vintage inventory from what I remember hearing.

My buddy Andy Brast generally has decent stuff coming through his store Carry On Comics in Waterloo, Ontario but it is an hour outside Toronto.

Good luck!

As far as searching for GA, SA & BA comics is concerned, the LCS's in downtown Toronto (the few that still exist) aren't what they used to be.

In that regard, I lost interest in Silver Snail (located at 367 Queen St. West) since the early 1990's. That store used to be one of my two "Meccas" during the late 1970's and 1980's. The other one was Dragon Lady which is no longer in downtown but is still accessible at its current location a bit further west at College St. & Ossington. The last time I recently checked, Dragon Lady was still interesting. Those are the two oldest surviving comic shops in the city.

As for the other downtown shops, forget about 1,000,000 Comix. Ditto for Hairy Tarantula which seems to specialize more in games now. Both those shops are on Yonge St. in the downtown core.

Otherwise, you're gonna have to go outside the core area. Others on this thread have already mentioned Paradise Comics and Pendragon.

Personally, ever since the mid-1990's, I've relied more on conventions and shows whenever they're held here. That is, whenever I wish to buy comics up front instead of via the internet. Among the regional dealers who usually set up there, I've often used to buy from Big B and Comic Book Addiction.

Lived in Toronto for 7 years, here's my take;

Snail was over-priced, over-graded, generally I'd find the odd toy to buy but I might have spent $200 in back issues in that entire time.

Paradise had some really good books and they would deal, haven't been there in years but they are probably #2 in my opinion for old books (the # 1 store is not in Toronto).

1 Million is the typical bins full of VG/F comics, priced at NM guide--pass.

Pendragon is a museum, good luck finding anything at a reasonable price. They have incredible books, but YOU get to look at Zerox copies, and generally even common silver is priced at 1 and a half X guide.

Now I live in Hamilton and WHAT a difference. Big B has a great selection, they actually mylar high grade stuff (so it can't be bent backwards), and they understand the market. The basement is full of $1.99 comics basically all comics from the past 30 years (I found 2 New Mutants 98 down there about 2 years ago, one came back a 9.6). Upstairs they have good books in the bins priced fairly. I end up always spending at least a bit when I go in.

Get on the highway, you'll be in the Hammer in 45 minutes, well worth the drive!

Jay

Silver Snail either was closing or is closed...anybody have the details if they are still open? I heard they had a problem with their lease.

Its not closing down.. It's just moving from Queen Street to somewhere else in Toronto with more space

Lived in Toronto for 7 years, here's my take;

Snail was over-priced, over-graded, generally I'd find the odd toy to buy but I might have spent $200 in back issues in that entire time.

Paradise had some really good books and they would deal, haven't been there in years but they are probably #2 in my opinion for old books (the # 1 store is not in Toronto).

1 Million is the typical bins full of VG/F comics, priced at NM guide--pass.

Pendragon is a museum, good luck finding anything at a reasonable price. They have incredible books, but YOU get to look at Zerox copies, and generally even common silver is priced at 1 and a half X guide.

Now I live in Hamilton and WHAT a difference. Big B has a great selection, they actually mylar high grade stuff (so it can't be bent backwards), and they understand the market. The basement is full of $1.99 comics basically all comics from the past 30 years (I found 2 New Mutants 98 down there about 2 years ago, one came back a 9.6). Upstairs they have good books in the bins priced fairly. I end up always spending at least a bit when I go in.

Get on the highway, you'll be in the Hammer in 45 minutes, well worth the drive!

Jay

Yep, it's worth the drive to Hamilton for Big B! Hamilton is home to a more than a few boardies too!

My buddy Andy Brast generally has decent stuff coming through his store Carry On Comics in Waterloo, Ontario but it is an hour outside Toronto.

Man! I haven't been to that shop since I was 14... memories!

I can second this great stuff just way over priced and Darcy is well........interesting.

Paradise Comics is good for Silver Age books, TPB's, CGC, and Sig series. They are also very easy to deal with.

Haven't been to Silver Snail in years. Last time I was there, the action figures were taking over the store.

1,000,000 has a huge inventory, but their quality of stock is not very good, and their prices are way off.

Never been to Big B, but I may have to next time I am in Hamilton.

[font:Book Antiqua]Enjoy your visit to Toronto

Also visit BMV on Bloor Street the third floor in entirely devoted to comic books

great selection of trades paperbacks and hardcover’s

good prices IMHO

also the vintage comics are in boxes and shelves close to end of the stairs...[/font]

:hi:

Also visit BMV on Bloor Street the third floor in entirely devoted to comic books

good prices IMHO

also the vintage comics are in boxes and shelves close to end of the stairs...[/font]

Never heard of this place. Link? Specific address? Curious minds want to know!

good prices IMHO

Never heard of this place. Link? Specific address? Curious minds want to know!

BMV Bloor