• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction Houses

82 posts in this topic

I just received an e-mail from Heritage and noticed this at the bottom:

Starting January 1, 2012, we will not longer be accepting Credit Cards or PayPal as a method of payment. Methods of payment that are accepted will be check, echeck, bank wire, cashiers check and money order.

Is this just because I live in Canada or are they simply not taking credit cards from anyone? Simply unbelieveably to me. The comics world seems to have completely withdrawn from the retail norm of working with credit cards. Either they charge a premium or simply decide not to accept them.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

Mike

I spoke with Heritage customer service today and this change is due to start January 1, 2012. I realize that there is some risk and a cost to accepting credit cards, but it makes things so much more convenient for customers. And lets face it, many of us put things on a credit card that we might not be able to afford otherwise.

What do people think about this change?

It'll make things much more complicated if I win anything from them, and definitely make me think twice before bidding on anything.

I would love to no longer accept credit cards at my place of business. They're nothing but a hassle and a bookkeeping complication. If I started a new business today, I would give serious consideration to it being credit card free.

Starting January 1, 2012, we will not longer be accepting Credit Cards or PayPal as a method of payment. Methods of payment that are accepted will be check, echeck, bank wire, cashiers check and money order.

Is this just because I live in Canada or are they simply not taking credit cards from anyone? Simply unbelieveably to me. The comics world seems to have completely withdrawn from the retail norm of working with credit cards. Either they charge a premium or simply decide not to accept them.

Mike

I spoke with Heritage customer service today and this change is due to start January 1, 2012. I realize that there is some risk and a cost to accepting credit cards, but it makes things so much more convenient for customers. And lets face it, many of us put things on a credit card that we might not be able to afford otherwise.

That's whack!

Tim,

How can comiclink block access to Asia?

Bob

I can`t remember if they do it by blocking designated Asian-based ISPs or based upon some other method of determining that the user is in Asia. Josh explained it in an email, which I`ve since deleted, so I can`t remember the exact explanation. Someone out here who accesses the web from a proxy server can still get on to Clink, which I could do at my previous job, but I`ve changed jobs and they don`t use a proxy server, so I`ve been Clink-less for a while now.

Basically, he said that Clink had been attacked by hackers from this part of the world, so his security guys told him the best way to avoid attacks was to just completely deny access to everyone from this part of the world. Why no other e-commerce site that I`m aware of has ever used such blunt methods, I don`t know.

Or... is fixed priced dealer consignment the best option moving forward? Do auctions always reveal the "top price"?

Depends a lot on timing I guess... with back-to-back high profile auctions ( some even overlapping others), killer books being auctioned off everywhere...there's just so much a wallet ( even the fatter ones ) can stretch....

^^

Tim,

How can comiclink block access to Asia?

Bob

I can`t remember if they do it by blocking designated Asian-based ISPs or based upon some other method of determining that the user is in Asia. Josh explained it in an email, which I`ve since deleted, so I can`t remember the exact explanation. Someone out here who accesses the web from a proxy server can still get on to Clink, which I could do at my previous job, but I`ve changed jobs and they don`t use a proxy server, so I`ve been Clink-less for a while now.

Basically, he said that Clink had been attacked by hackers from this part of the world, so his security guys told him the best way to avoid attacks was to just completely deny access to everyone from this part of the world. Why no other e-commerce site that I`m aware of has ever used such blunt methods, I don`t know.

And anyone who has casual IT skills knows how to thwart this. It's Josh's business, but maybe investigating some technology for his 1990 web site would help.

Mike

I won't buy from a place that doesn't allow me the piece of mind and safety

of a credit card.

They want to avoid charge backs...

Anything to hold onto your money.

think if it this way.. once they have the check or money order in hand its harder for you to say you didn't bid and where hacked