• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why new comics ROCK!

21 posts in this topic

Feel free to add! I will get it started:

- New books have a more realistic flavor to them. Some like this and some don't - I like it.

- On average, the artwork is much better. Sure the old books have their Adams or Kirby, but for the most part the artwork is basic and/or subpar compared to today's artists.

- Ultimates.

- Superman/Batman.

- El Cazador.

- Y: Last Man.

- Hellboy.

Daredevil

Powers

And for the kids, Teen Titans Go! My wife cannot keep these comics in her 5th grade classroom prize box. The kids love them! Even the ones that are not comic collectors/readers pick them out. In fact, she has one student that saw a copy of #1 who got so excited about it that he referred to it as a cartoon magazine.

Punisher Max ~ !

Now that's what I call VIOLENCE !

You'd never seen a guy get his balls cut off and handed to him in a cup in the 70's!

(Was that a little overboard for this thread?)

WANTED

A comic book where villians rule the world???

just 2 examples that come to mind right now

I pick up and read a lot. They keep me in the comic shops at least once a week to BS with the customers and the guys behind the counter. I like trying out new books recommended by folks on here or by the LCS guys. Some titles put out tripe now and then but I don't recall a time/era/collecting period where 100% of the books put out were destined to join the ranks of classic literature confused-smiley-013.gif

Daredevil

Powers

And for the kids, Teen Titans Go! My wife cannot keep these comics in her 5th grade classroom prize box. The kids love them! Even the ones that are not comic collectors/readers pick them out. In fact, she has one student that saw a copy of #1 who got so excited about it that he referred to it as a cartoon magazine.

My friends son(8) goes wild for Teen Titans Go. He reads them over and over and folds them in his back pocket. 893whatthe.gif

Modern comics that truly rock?! that could go to any other comic published in the 70's and 80's?! well, the list ain't a short one, but a long and delicious:

in no particular order:

- Fables

- Y the last man

- Strangers in Paradise

- Herobear and the kid

- Astro city

- Arrowsmith

- Bone

- Hellboy

- Powers

- Daredevil

- Amazing Spider-man

- Ultimate Spider-man

- Ultimates

- Ultimate FF

- She Hulk

- Supreme Power

- And a lot of mini-series: Inhumans (Jenkis/Lee), Sentry, 1602, my faith in frankie...

Ain't this enough to say this is the best period for being a comics fan?! smirk.gif

I don't have any problem with modern comics per se, I just have a problem with the PRICES of modern comics. I don't buy/subscribe to anything modern, but I get a lot of modern stuff through trading. I agree that a lot of the artwork in modern stuff is great. A lot of it I don't like, but that's just personal preference.

Daredevil

Powers

My friends son(8) goes wild for Teen Titans Go. He reads them over and over and folds them in his back pocket. 893whatthe.gif

Now you've done it. Kids are reading this book but not taing care of them. Instant speculator market on HG TTG.

I think it's kind of sad that in comics heydey, they catered to kids. Now, kids books are the exception. I really think comic companies ought to market their kids lines seperatley and put them in the kiddie section of bookstores. Parents don't know where to get comics or would not what to go to a LCS and experience the sub culture of comic collecting and kids probably don't know either. Put them out in the kids section where parents can feel comfortable and see how they tie into their kids cartoons.

Some more:

Thor

Supreme Power

Thanos

Iron Man has been very entertaining lately too. John Jackson Miller has impressed me with the Secretary of Defense storyline.

thumbsup2.gif

New Daredevil was quite a good read. Bendis makes DD a master of trash-talk.

Are you talking about issue #60? Read it last night. Not the best issue of the run, but a pretty good "tie up" issue. I wonder where he's going to go from here? I really enjoyed the whole "secret identity revealed" plotline. This is consistently one of the best books out there.