• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Wars # 8 CGC 9.9 Mint White

85 posts in this topic

Looking into the future, I wouldn't even be thinking highest graded copies unless I was seeing 9.6 or 9.8 for GA, 9.8 for SA, 9.9 for BA, and 10.0 for anything after that. In my opinion, there are just too many copies sitting out there in private collections with no reason for the owners to slab them until it comes time to sell.

Lou, that's an unbelievably high standard that you're setting. Do you really believe that you need to have a 9.6 or 9.8 to be fairly secure that you've got the best copy of a GA book? Same question for 9.8 for SA, at least pre-1964. If not for the unbelievably unique conditions surrounding the Curator pedigree, there would not be a single known 9.8 pre-1964 Marvel mega-key, and I'm not real optimistic that another Curator-like pedigree exists. I would think that for most of the mega-keys for both Marvel and DC (FF 1, TOS 39, Avengers 1, Hulk 1, JIM 83, Showcase 4, 22 & 34, Flash 105, B&B 28 and 34, JLA 1, Adventure 247), my money would be on 9.6 being the highest grade.

I do agree with you on needing a 9.9 for BA to feel fairly secure that it truly is highest grade, because lots of 9.8s from that era have and will continue to surface, and also on needing a 10.0 for modern.

Looking into the future, I wouldn't even be thinking highest graded copies unless I was seeing 9.6 or 9.8 for GA, 9.8 for SA, 9.9 for BA, and 10.0 for anything after that. In my opinion, there are just too many copies sitting out there in private collections with no reason for the owners to slab them until it comes time to sell.

Lou, that's an unbelievably high standard that you're setting. Do you really believe that you need to have a 9.6 or 9.8 to be fairly secure that you've got the best copy of a GA book? Same question for 9.8 for SA, at least pre-1964. If not for the unbelievably unique conditions surrounding the Curator pedigree, there would not be a single known 9.8 pre-1964 Marvel mega-key, and I'm not real optimistic that another Curator-like pedigree exists. I would think that for most of the mega-keys for both Marvel and DC (FF 1, TOS 39, Avengers 1, Hulk 1, JIM 83, Showcase 4, 22 & 34, Flash 105, B&B 28 and 34, JLA 1, Adventure 247), my money would be on 9.6 being the highest grade.

I do agree with you on needing a 9.9 for BA to feel fairly secure that it truly is highest grade, because lots of 9.8s from that era have and will continue to surface, and also on needing a 10.0 for modern.

I am in full agreement with you that my stated standards are unbelievably high based upon what we know NOW. The key phrase in my statement was "looking into the future". I believe there is still a lot of high grade books sitting out there in private collections wainting to be graded. This is especially true with GA books whereby the long-term collectors have no interest in slabbing their books until they are ready to sell them. Believe me, there are still a lot of pedigree books from the major pedigrees waiting to be slabbed. I also set the standard relatively high for GA since CGC tends to grade softer on these books.

With respect to SA, most of the quality books from the known pedigrees have already been graded. This is probably due to a different mentality in the HG SA INVESTOR as opposed to the HG GA COLLECTOR. With SA, I believe the HG books will most likely be coming from new undiscovered collections which we don't even know about at this point in time. I still remember when the early SA pedigrees such as the White Mountain came onto the scene and collectors thought this was the SA equivalent to the Mile High. A few years later, we saw more pedigrees such as the Oakland and Boston pedigrees. Later still, we saw even more pedigrees come out such as the Winnipeg, Western Penn, Pacific Coast, Curators, etc. I can't honestly believe that we will not be seeing anymore new SA pedigrees coming into the marketplace over the next several years.

With respect to Bronze and Modern, I don't even think it's necessary for me to go there.

BTW.....a question for the pedigree collectors out there. CGC states that they do not know who the submittors are when they are grading the book. Do you think the graders are aware of the pedigree of the book when they are grading them? I've always wondered if the graders are truly grading them from an unbiased point of view or could they possibly be influenced (ie. intimidated) by the pedigree and give the book the benefit of the doubt. I guess I am asking since I seem to see a lot of MH GA books in the recent Heritage auctions graded at 9.6 with obvious defects. I don't know if this is happening with pedigrees in general although I believe there were a few early ASM pedigrees last year which appears to have been graded possibly on the soft side.

No gambit, Beast and Jubilee I beleive are the two new x-men movie stars.

Something about Gambit being a symbolic character of a time when Marvel was just trying to make a buck, like thats different now?? And his attitude is too much like wolvies.

Gale Anne Hurd was recently interviewed and stated that she wanted to see if they could get Gambit into X3. Not exactly confirmation, but the thought is definitely there. confused-smiley-013.gif

A lot of fans don't want to see him in either though (I don't). I guess I wouldn't mind Gambit if they don't lose Angel or Beast, but isn't the team getting too big then?

Something about Gambit being a symbolic character of a time when Marvel was just trying to make a buck, like thats different now?? And his attitude is too much like wolvies.

Gale Anne Hurd was recently interviewed and stated that she wanted to see if they could get Gambit into X3. Not exactly confirmation, but the thought is definitely there. confused-smiley-013.gif

i bought the first # 8 9.9 for i think 500-600 a year or so ago.

Looks like you made a good investment.

US $1,140.00 with 9 hours to go! 893whatthe.gif

Not if Storm doesn't come back. Also, Jean is "gone," remember?

God just thinking about it reminds me of how much I loved X2. I think I may watch it again tonight. cloud9.gif

A lot of fans don't want to see him in either though (I don't). I guess I wouldn't mind Gambit if they don't lose Angel or Beast, but isn't the team getting too big then?

Check out the bidding? foreheadslap.gif

what's up with this?confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On May-11-04 at 19:43:13 PDT, seller added the following information:

WELL, THIS WAS GONNA BE A PRIVATE AUCTION, BUT I GUESS I GOOFED!! ENJOY!!