• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret Wars # 8 CGC 9.9 Mint White

85 posts in this topic

Why do people pay hundreds for a common book? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's not the book. It's the slab.

Don't you guys get it?

foreheadslap.gif

I paid about $35 for a 9.6 last year....what an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I am, if I would have just waited, I could have raided my 401K and bought that copy...............I am sure that the difference between the 9.6 and 9.9 is pretty dramatic foreheadslap.gif

Venom is suppose to be in the Spidey 3 movie right?

The speculators may go nuts and break it past $500.

foreheadslap.gif

I am not sure if this is the same book, but It was up on ebay not to long ago, I belive it went for over $600.

From the listing:

"CGC CENSUS CURRENTLY LISTS ONLY ONE COPY IN 9.9 GRADE. THIS COPY WAS JUST GRADED AND WILL BE UP THERE SHORTLY...BAR CODE # 0123878003. THE OTHER COPY WAS SOLD AND BURIED INTO A COLLECTION, SO THIS IS PROBABLY YOUR ONE AND ONLY CHANCE TO OBTAIN THIS BOOK IN THIS FANTASTIC GRADE. THE ONLY FLAW ON THIS ENTIRE BOOK, IS A SLIGHT OFF CENTER COVER. THE BOOK IS 100% STRUCTURALLY AND COSMETICALLY MINT PERFECT AND HAS SNOW WHITE WHITES."

Sorry for the caps but that's the way he did it.

I'm way to lazy to fix it. blush.gif

I haven't heard confirmation of that yet. It's like people gambling that Gambit will be in X-Men 3.

foreheadslap.gif

I haven't heard confirmation of that yet. It's like people gambling that Gambit will be in X-Men 3.

foreheadslap.gif

except Venom isn't in SW#8. technically speaking.

i bought the first # 8 9.9 for i think 500-600 a year or so ago.dont you hate when you have the highest grade in the census and then you see another one on ebay foreheadslap.gif it was bound to happen with this book with so many high grades out there before long there will be a 10.0.the copy i bought has perfect centering and no white showing on the front.i hope venom is in the 3rd movie and it would be nice to see spidey in his black costume at the end of spiderman 2 .

i bought the first # 8 9.9 for i think 500-600 a year or so ago.dont you hate when you have the highest grade in the census and then you see another one on ebay foreheadslap.gif it was bound to happen with this book with so many high grades out there before long there will be a 10.0.

Dolphin;

Are you saying that you paid this hefty premium of over 2,000% on the basis of your copy being the highest graded copy in the census. Hopefully, there were many other cumulative reasons for you to pay this kind of premium for a quasi-Bronze Age (ie. Modern) book.

For the life of me, I can't fathom any collector paying these kinds od premiums for so-called "highest graded copy" simply because it is so early in the slabbing game. I view these kinds of premiums as transitory or temporary because they probably won't be able to retain their value as more and more books get graded. As you yourself stated, Modern books such as these are bound to turn up more 9.9's and possibly even some 10's in the end.

Looking into the future, I wouldn't even be thinking highest graded copies unless I was seeing 9.6 or 9.8 for GA, 9.8 for SA, 9.9 for BA, and 10.0 for anything after that. In my opinion, there are just too many copies sitting out there in private collections with no reason for the owners to slab them until it comes time to sell.

No gambit, Beast and Jubilee I beleive are the two new x-men movie stars.

Something about Gambit being a symbolic character of a time when Marvel was just trying to make a buck, like thats different now?? And his attitude is too much like wolvies.

I hope you are tracking this one! It see it going for atleast 500. I would pay it!

No thanks, far too common of a book to be paying much more than guide unless you are buying the label. In the case of Modern books, I never buy the label because you never know what else is lurking out there.

I would much rather save the $500 and put it towards a quality vintage book. To each their own, I guess.