• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the same old tired fake auction

7 posts in this topic

this apparent scam http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32748&item=2244769884&rd=1ran about a half dozen times late last year. i must have alerted e-bay 4-5 times. each time it was a different seller who had little/no prior comic selling experience, hadn't had an auction in many months. was running a private auction, 3 days only, yada, yada, yada.this time there's an added attraction - private feedback.

when you get pre -approved it's a totally different person. i can't tell you how many different e-bay and internet account names got used. and it was always the same unique 19 books. e-bay pulled it each time, but you'd think they'd have a means of not letting these through time after time.

somebody could definitely fall for this crapola mad.gif

LMFAO....." You work hard, you deserve some treasure." 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, that made me cringe too. Apparently some scammers want to put a spin on their auctions now. "You work hard, you deserve to be ripped off by a sleazebucket who's learnt a bit of sugar-coated advertising speak."

Yeah, that made me cringe too. Apparently some scammers want to put a spin on their auctions now. "You work hard, you deserve to be ripped off by a sleazebucket who's learnt a bit of sugar-coated advertising speak."

these guys say you have to be on a pre-approved bidders list but they never ad anyone to the list!

All they do is collect emails to say you can buy it for a set price but never let you bid

these guys say you have to be on a pre-approved bidders list but they never ad anyone to the list!

All they do is collect emails to say you can buy it for a set price but never let you bid

at least E-bay pulled it yet again - when will this specific scam ever die??? devil.gif

I'm a newbie in the big world of eBay selling (just a few things so far) but I did pick up on a potential scam. Here is one of my first eBay auctions:

eBay Auction

I spent way too much time on the auction design, but I felt it was pretty clear that I do accept PayPal. Not long after the auction started, I got an email through eBay's Question for Seller service that said basically "Hi, I'm interested in your auction - do you accept PayPal?". I replied that I do - but the reply was from my own email account and not through eBay's service. Soon after that I started getting tons of junk mail. I've always kept my email address off everything to keep from getting spam mail.

So... I think the "question for buyer" email was a setup to get my reply and email address. I think there's probably someone out there who created a program to scan all auctions and create a "question for buyer" with a generic "do you accept PayPal" question that most sellers would answer.