• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A year in the life of a publisher

91 posts in this topic

Thank you guys! I am not sure how this thread will play out but I guarantee you I will show books like this one as soon as they get to me. Extra kudos to Pat for selling me the book. This is a book I have been wanting for a while; probably since I've seen AStrange smoking copy (go figure :baiting: ) on the boards.

119277.jpg.5ec5ea93204fc5647f49dde7277039bd.jpg

Thank you guys! I am not sure how this thread will play out but I guarantee you I will show books like this one as soon as they get to me. Extra kudos to Pat for selling me the book. This is a book I have been wanting for a while; probably since I've seen AStrange smoking copy (go figure :baiting: ) on the boards.

Great book - tough in any condition! :applause:

Love the lighting effects! Great thread, great cover. (thumbs u

Last one from Pat. Harry Anderson on the cover of Marvel Tales # 126. Not as in your face as the two Heath I posted but some great work with body posture / movement, expressions and general composition by Anderson.

Notice also how much tamer the cover is compared to two issues earlier, # 124 (also from 1954). The year finishes out with covers much more in line with 126 than 124. The first half of the year's worth of covers are more graphic in the violence and horror they depict; yet the insides do not change much yet, probably has to do with the production schedule, stories being worked and scheduled out with longer lead than covers were. The # 124 is a scan of my copy too.

119297.jpg.955faa1d2deeedd18b2ea98fe4814291.jpg

119298.jpg.108b39490289d3f43d443e9dd87d230f.jpg

Since I don't have many of the pre-code issues, I'll show those first.

Here's another great one from 1954: Spellbound # 23 cover dated June and it's gruesome and funny at the same time. Dated before July / August, it's still grizzly. Spellbound went on hiatus with this issue, only to re-appear post-code, more than a year later (!) in October 1955.

119301.jpg.d3c35cbaecb2ed6c742e03a27e8968cf.jpg

Both the MT 124 and 126 are by Anderson. I agree with your assessment of the 126 as it being particularly nice work by him even if it's a bit tamer than the 124. I wonder if he was given Maneely's earlier cover to swipe from.

http://www.comics.org/issue/9878/cover/4/

Oh, and in case you all thought otherwise, there is going to be a lot of these also ... maybe not as many as in 1952 but a goodly number. The problem to me is that most of the titles in 1954 are of the Teen Romance type (Patsy / Millie / etc ...) rather than the straight Romance type. I like straight Romance much more than the tripe in the Teen books put out by Atlas. The best thing of this Patsy for example is the Hartley cover. The interiors are atrocious ... though I have yet to read the stories; I just flipped through the book. The art is Jaffee cover to cover inside and it's not for me.

The most hilarious for me on the cover is how painstainkingly Hartley repro'd the love of patterns of the era: patterned carpet, patterned couch, patterned curtains, ... lol

119311.jpg.4f4e50a0c03730a1b9859cae073fcc20.jpg

I am fortunate to start with 2 Mystery Tales in hand.

# 19 I owe thanks to JoAnna for putting me on the lead for it and # 24 I bought from Ed a couple of years ago when he had a big Atlas Pre-Code / Post-Code collection come in.

119371.jpg.3093992910a59f759901bb505fd95b96.jpg

119372.jpg.b38c6977b3673c30ac87c084262f6c6e.jpg

:bump:

I have added some books here and there and have plenty I have not scanned so I am chipping away at this though it has not been a sole focus. I just haven't had the time to scan much.

Wild Western was a nice package book with Kid Colt, Two-gun Kid, Arrowhead and Black Rider. Can't go wrong and typically you'd get a mix of artists.

121653.jpg.99270795c1ca69f873566305d7f0e654.jpg

I started on the long road of Romance ... There are not many (any ?) Romance collectors on the boards so few will know my pains when trying to complete the Romance portion of this 1954 thingy.

I have gobbled up quite a few 1954 PCH Atlas over the last couple of months b/c they are available; it's only a question of $$ since I am not grade conscious.

BUT, Romance is another level of crazy just to ferret them out AND, when I see one, I have to "accept" the starting bid on eBay if there, which means coolness to coolness, the Romance titles cost more than any others.

Was lucky to get into this issue of True Secrets for cheap. Please pray that I am always this lucky -

123504.jpg.b984cf019bc2755249500793614d52a4.jpg

Burgos is a hit or miss artist to me but that's definitely one of his "hits" (thumbs u

I was looking at some Atlas love comics this afternoon and I noticed that Love Classics #2 had a 30 page story in it which I thought you might find interesting.

GCD notes that issue #1 also had a 30 pager.

loveclassics2.jpg

I was looking at some Atlas love comics this afternoon and I noticed that Love Classics #2 had a 30 page story in it which I thought you might find interesting.

GCD notes that issue #1 also had a 30 pager.

loveclassics2.jpg

So the woman in the story just turned 102. Yikes.