• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A year in the life of a publisher

91 posts in this topic

I was looking at some Atlas love comics this afternoon and I noticed that Love Classics #2 had a 30 page story in it which I thought you might find interesting.

GCD notes that issue #1 also had a 30 pager.

Definitely something I'll be adding to my Want List. Thank you :)

Here's # 140 from 1954 (or # 327 if you look at the Atlas War "quest") - Navy Action # 3

Oh boy, what a talent we lost in Everett. Here's part of his splash page for Flattop, his job in this issue. (See below the cover) Would have loved to see the original art for that page.

NavyAction3.jpg

NavyAction3-EverettSplashDetails.jpg

Here's another Romance I bought recently :banana:

LoveRomances43.jpg

The next time someone rags on Colletta in the Silver Age forum, this cover should be posted. Of course the art is so ur-50s that it might not be appreciated by the Marvelites.

Here's another Romance I bought recently :banana:

LoveRomances43.jpg

The next time someone rags on Colletta in the Silver Age forum, this cover should be posted. Of course the art is so ur-50s that it might not be appreciated by the Marvelites.

It's really nice work. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Colletta's sig. He really did have talent, but you wouldn't know it by his later inking work.

Great splash by Everett. Too bad he didn't do many war stories. :whistle:

Here's # 140 from 1954 (or # 327 if you look at the Atlas War "quest") - Navy Action # 3

Oh boy, what a talent we lost in Everett. Here's part of his splash page for Flattop, his job in this issue. (See below the cover) Would have loved to see the original art for that page.

NavyAction3-EverettSplashDetails.jpg

This one's for RJ, another Maneely Western job -

OutlawFighters3.jpg

The issue contains a Benulis job (as did the Navy Action I posted yesterday) and he does a great job of representing the desert. There is also a very pleasant Artley western in this issue and the very capable Tuska drew the first story as well.

OutlawFighters3-BenulisSplashpartial.jpg

I'm not familiar with Bill Benulis, but that splash looks really nice! I'd love to see more. Atlas had an amazing number of top-notch but lesser known artists working for them.

Feel free to post as many Maneely Western covers as you like. Some of my favorites are when Maneely goes heavy on the "dude" wardrobe.

Great splash by Everett. Too bad he didn't do many war stories. :whistle:

You had to remember :sorry:

Although not stated at that time, I had faith based on prior evidence of your good taste that you would come around. :foryou:

I'm not familiar with Bill Benulis, but that splash looks really nice! I'd love to see more. Atlas had an amazing number of top-notch but lesser known artists working for them.

Feel free to post as many Maneely Western covers as you like. Some of my favorites are when Maneely goes heavy on the "dude" wardrobe.

Benulis drew only for a short period of time in the 50s and for just two publishers: Fiction House and then Atlas. His style is original and his stories a pleasure to read.

Here's a splash for a sci-fi story for Planet 73.

Planet_73_benulis_splash.jpg

Here's a horror splash from Monster 2

benulisMonster2.jpg

This one's for RJ, another Maneely Western job -

OutlawFighters3.jpg

The issue contains a Benulis job (as did the Navy Action I posted yesterday) and he does a great job of representing the desert. There is also a very pleasant Artley western in this issue and the very capable Tuska drew the first story as well.

OutlawFighters3-BenulisSplashpartial.jpg

Beautiful. Very Jim Woodring-esque.

Here's a splash for a sci-fi story for Planet 73.

Planet_73_benulis_splash.jpg

He's got a story in Planet 72 also. I'm not sure about 71.....might be one in there too. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u