• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Smarty Jones

5 posts in this topic

Not a huge race fan but Smarty Jones just won the Preakness by a dozen lengths and I am like, wow. What a horse. As if winning the $5 million "exta" prize by winning the Derby wasn't enough, now he's in the driver's seat for a Triple Crown. Wow. (And I won a couple of bets with this victory so I'm extra happy)

...and then he breaks his leg and becomes glue...go figure! confused-smiley-013.gif

Cool...think I will postpone my vacation now so I can go to the Belmont Stakes. I've been to all but 2 since 1992 and would love to finally see one of these Derby-Preakness winners win it all. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hope to catch the opening weekend at Del Mar too...will probably do that instead of spending Sunday at the San Diego Comic Con. 893whatthe.gif

Maybe at the Belmont you will finally see your first Triple Crown. Very cool that you make this race a regular event. Do you have a favorite among those you've seen?

Used to live in Orange County, and loved driving down to Del Mar. Beautiful track, excellent quality of horses and jocks (including my alltime fave, Laffit Pincay Jr.), and that classic Bing Crosby music piped in as you enter....

Maybe at the Belmont you will finally see your first Triple Crown. Very cool that you make this race a regular event. Do you have a favorite among those you've seen?

My favorite was definitely the first one I saw...1992. A.P. Indy holding off the British import My Memoirs for the win and Preakness winner Pine Bluff finishing third. To bad "Indy" didn't run the first two legs of the Triple Crown...now *that* was a horse. Most disappointing Belmonts were 1997 and 1998, with Touch Gold and Victory Gallop thwarting Silver Charm's and Real Quiet's Triple Crown bids, respectively (and by the closest of margins). frown.gif

Used to live in Orange County, and loved driving down to Del Mar. Beautiful track, excellent quality of horses and jocks (including my alltime fave, Laffit Pincay Jr.), and that classic Bing Crosby music piped in as you enter....

Horse racing at the seaside ("where the surf meets the turf") is great...used to live in Del Mar and started going to the track in 1991. I've been to a number of tracks in California, New York and Maryland and Del Mar is by far the nicest place to spend an afternoon. Great weather and a laid-back crowd, with plenty of young people. Sometimes when you go to Aquaduct or Belmont, all you find are a bunch of cigar-chomping grizzled old men...at Del Mar, it's not uncommon to see a lot of families and lots of nice eye candy as well. smile.gif