• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheetah and His Everything Journal

1,085 posts in this topic

It's a nice action shot and, ultimately, there's only so many jungle scenes you can come up with. Although, after issue #90, it doesn't seem to be used again through at least issue 132. I haven't finished scanning the last box but apparently the FH artists saw teh redundancy, too.

Jumbo 103 - There aren't many zebra covers in the Jumbo run, but they are often some of the best. And this one has great coloring. I think this is what a lot of FH covers were supposed to look like.

Jumbo103.jpg

I think you can consider the 103 as being a particularly exemplary example of proper colors on a FH comic. (thumbs u

That certificate background image is of the Okajima Subby 32 that was one of the first that Alan Bahr sold.

A friend of mine got a heads up that Alan was bringing a select set of books to the SD Con that were from a newly discovered collection that included some very high grade and attractive Atomic Age comics. There was no name to the collection and I labelled them as "Bahr" until I heard the Okajima name associated with them. My friend reserved one book for himself and arranged for us to meet Alan the next day at the Con.

Alan only brought what he could fit into a briefcase but it was it was quite an impressive display of Fox GGA, Schomburg airbrush and a Subby 32. I was able to purchase the Subby and a few other books -- all cost me top dollar as he took offers on the books from several collectors. I missed out on the PL 23, which still resides with it's original purchaser.

The Subby was one of Alan's favorite books from the collection so I had to promise to send him a color photo copy. That was not so easy to do at that time as I had to find a copy shop willing to copy a comic (many had explicit policies against that due to copyright infringement concerns) and they had to let me handle the books.

I eventually found one and actually made copies of a number of the nice books in my collection. I always worked with the same employee at the copy shop and he seemed to get a kick out of helping out because of seeing the cool old comic books. I still have a few binders with the copies but have been very happy with the march of progress that enables me to scan books for myself.

That Subby went in a trade years later and has made it round the Boards. It now resides in an 8.5 slab and seems to have found a happy home.

Jumbo 104 and certificate

Jumbo104.jpg

Jumbo104cert.jpg

lol The CGC boardies swap more books around. Sometimes I post a book and then everyone has to say when they owned it.

That's very cool about the subbies and the Okajima pedigree. I have a number of beautiful Okajima copies. For the Jumbos and Jungles, though, the PQ is very nice but the later issues have a lot of damage to them so they grades are only moderate. I've passed a few of them on to skypinkblue.