• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should these comic magazines be in my collection?

11 posts in this topic

I have been collecting horror comic magazines for quite a while now (Skywald, Warren, Marvel, Eerie Pubs. etc.) and have never thought of titles like EC's Shock/Terror Illustrated and Atlas/Seaboard's Gothic Romances as belonging to such a collection, given that they, as far as I am aware, seem (I have never seen copies) to mainly consist of text stories with a bit of accompanying artwork. Any views?

Buy a few low grade copies and check them out for yourself. That way if you find they are not to your liking you arte not out too much money. It really is a matter of personal taste, so you need to review the books personally IMO.

The magazines you mentioned are two different types.

Gothic Romances is text stories with a couple of spot illustrations by people (Adams & Chaykin) who were also comic book artists. Think of it as text with occasional illustrations. It is collected by comic book collectors primarily either because of the Neal Adams art or because it was put out by Atlas/Seaboard.

The EC Picto-Fictions were illustrated stories. Each page consisted of "comic book panels", but there were no word balloons. The words were in text inside of the panels. Think of it as a comic magazine without word balloons. They are fairly close to what you would normally think of as comic magazines.

Wether you collect them or not, is up to you.

The magazines you mentioned are two different types.

Gothic Romances is text stories with a couple of spot illustrations by people (Adams & Chaykin) who were also comic book artists. Think of it as text with occasional illustrations. It is collected by comic book collectors primarily either because of the Neal Adams art or because it was put out by Atlas/Seaboard.

The EC Picto-Fictions were illustrated stories. Each page consisted of "comic book panels", but there were no word balloons. The words were in text inside of the panels. Think of it as a comic magazine without word balloons. They are fairly close to what you would normally think of as comic magazines.

Wether you collect them or not, is up to you.

Thanks for that info, ecfanman, and thanks to the other guys. The mags as you describe them would seem to fit in nicely with my collection, as I like Atlas/Seaboard, EC, Romance, Mystery, Adams art etc. Looks like I'll have to take out another mortgage now to buy them all, that is if I can find them all!

I have been collecting horror comic magazines for quite a while now (Skywald, Warren, Marvel, Eerie Pubs. etc.) and have never thought of titles like EC's Shock/Terror Illustrated and Atlas/Seaboard's Gothic Romances as belonging to such a collection, given that they, as far as I am aware, seem (I have never seen copies) to mainly consist of text stories with a bit of accompanying artwork. Any views?

If you can find copies of EC's Shock/Terror Illustrated you should collect them.

If you don't like them you can always just send them to me! devil.gif

After seeing in Overstreet years ago that Shock Illustrated #1 contained a story about Wife Swapping, in the 50s no less, I just had to buy it. I did find a nice copy years ago at the San Diego con. I read that story right away, I even had Al Feldstein sign it at a later SD con. Sold it long ago, but anyway...back to that story.... not a "dirty" story so much, but an interesting plotline where the blindfolded women scurried around the floor looking for keys. Whichever husband's key they found first, that is the husband that this wife went home with for the night blush.gif. Actually, the majority of that story was really about how one of the husbands had to go through psychotherapy in order to deal with what had just happened, with he and his wife each sleeping with another person's spouse. Geez, I gotta buy that book again. -------Sid

After seeing in Overstreet years ago that Shock Illustrated #1 contained a story about Wife Swapping, in the 50s no less, I just had to buy it. I did find a nice copy years ago at the San Diego con. I read that story right away, I even had Al Feldstein sign it at a later SD con. Sold it long ago, but anyway...back to that story.... not a "dirty" story so much, but an interesting plotline where the blindfolded women scurried around the floor looking for keys. Whichever husband's key they found first, that is the husband that this wife went home with for the night . Actually, the majority of that story was really about how one of the husbands had to go through psychotherapy in order to deal with what had just happened, with he and his wife each sleeping with another person's spouse. Geez, I gotta buy that book again. -------Sid

Horror or not, proper comics or not, you've just made up my mind for me - these books must definitely be part of my collection!