• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winnipeg Pedigree Original Listings: Spidey, Avengers, FF, X-Men

59 posts in this topic

The Winnipeg pedigree was first offered By SNE in their Winter, 1997 catalog. Below is the Amazing Spiderman offering. As you probably know already, the original owner Dennis Kjolso wrote his name on the top front cover of nearly all the early '60s Marvels, stopping sometime around 1965. Because of this defect, most of the pre-1965 Marvels have been graded by CGC as no better than 9.2, although there are higher exceptions. The post-1965 Marvels are generally fantastic, and the collection generally has outstanding page quality and cover color preservation. I'll post more of the listings, if there seems to be enough interest in this thread.

484856-Winnipeg%20Spideys.jpg

589a8c797d7f4_484856-WinnipegSpideys.jpg.08131a02c30a7e079af058a836d6de3c.jpg

I'd love to see the Avengers Winnipeg list if you have it.......thanks! I'm taking delivery of Avengers #11 sometime soon.

Red

winnietriplets.jpg

Hook,

FYI, I used to own all of those Winnipeg Avengers, and about every early SA Marvel from the collection (I was the 3rd person to ever see these books, but the first 2 collectors took practically nothing). The books were truly beautiful, nm- to nm books, but CGC killed them because of the original owner's name written in pen on the top of the front cover. It's really a`shame, as those books were killer.

I remember driving back from Showcase New England (Must've been late December, 1996) with at least 20 boxes (magazine size) of runs of these books. I didn't take everything, as I cherry-picked what I thought to be the best looking books. I took mostly Spideys, Avengers, TTAs, Strange Tales, JIM's, some early Iron Mans, etc, etc. Not every book had the signature signature (pun intended).

The best part, however, is that I went back and cleaned Dan out of all the rest of the books (higher numbers on every title from earlrl-mid 70's to 1996, when the collector stopped collecting and sold everything to Dan). I drove home with my car literally packed with 9 LONG boxes of Marvel Bronze and (now called) Copper age books. Dan only charged me $3,000 for these 9 boxes, which I still have ungraded & sitting in these same boxes exactly how Dan packed them.

When I finally get these books graded (which will be soon), There will be many, many high grades and I will be selling most of these. As an example, the IH 180, 181 and 182 are all 9.8 from the Winnipeg collection.

Its a true pedigree and if not for the name on the cover, one of the better ranked SA ones. Like namisgr, I sill have the catalog listing all the books. Just looking at it brings back some great mermories.

Thanks Doug.....you know, every book has it's own story and history. I love when I can trace the "line-of-procurement" as I like to call it. I'd love to add a couple more of the single digit Avengers Winnies some day.

Brad

BTW, I picked up these three books at three different times.....two from Ebay and one on Comiclink....they just seemd to throw themselves in my path and I took a chance. Got them all. I just think it's cool to see them joined again, even in a mini-run like this.

Here is the Winnipeg FF listing for ya, FF. The #1 only graded as a F-. As with the other runs, the name of the original owner is written on the top front cover of nearly all the pre-1965 issues:

485922-Image_1.jpg

485922-Image_1.jpg.d78171c6783d71a242261188ab8b7317.jpg

namisgr- thanks so much for providing the listings, this is awsome talk on pedigrees, why doesnt your spidey 25 have the winnipeg on the cgc label?

tripps- ure always picking up awesome deals- $3k for 9 boxes of prime nm/m bronze, even in 1997 that was a STEAL!!! r u the owner of the hulk 180-182 winnipegs??

redhook, beautiful looking avengers u got there, lovely colors on them, looks like dans vf ++ 88 was in line with cgc's 8.5 and his 9.3 nm was their cgc 9.0, hes prretty consistent

a lot of collectors dis the winnipegs becos of the name on cover but i think it adds to the pedigree and allure of it, the name is neatly written albeit a little large

as an aside, i used to own the ff 13 winnipeg and it was graded 9.0 by dan, also graded 9.0 by cgc

I can understand why the sig on the Winnipegs might not be some folks cup of tea, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. Same thing with the date stamp on the Green Rivers that I collect.

If anything, it makes them incredibly easy to identify, and also to track those nasty resubs! 27_laughing.gif

I don't know exactly WHY the owner of the Winnie's signed them......he didn't do it later on in life, should I assume he did it as a kid? Someone wrote, maybe to identify them as being his books as a kid?

As for the Green Rivers,it was the father of the collector, who owned a candy store, who stamped them all.....he had an unerring ability to stamp the cover right in a very high profile position on each cover. See what he did to Lady Dorma on this one......not to get too far off topic.

tta74.jpg

redhook

winnipegs are beautiful books

soemthing about the canadian storage conditions, books form canada have excellent page quality- im sure aardvark88 will attest to that

now, wheres the avengers 1 winnipeg?

anyone on the forums own it??????

The Captain likely could tell you more about the Avengers 1. As far as my Spidey 25 not being labeled as a Winnipeg, I assume that it was submitted to CGC before they recognized Winnipegs as a pedigree. Like Red said earlier, the signature on the cover makes it extremely easy to track the pre-1965 books from this collection. As for whether the signature detracts significantly from the books, I suppose it is a matter of personal preference. I, for one, can be far more forgiving of an unobtrusive date stamp (like the Green Rivers have) than the pen writing on the White Mountains or the signature on the Winnipegs. Then there is the matter of the large grease pencil arrival date on many of the Ohios.

Here is the original listing of the X-Men run (Bronze fans - be sure to check out the run starting at ish 95!):

486394-Image_1.jpg

486394-Image_1.jpg.737e12a37b45994b1f6ae7d9589ddd3a.jpg